It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clashes overshadow start of Milan Expo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Police fired tear gas at demonstrators on Friday as protests overshadowed the start of the Milan Expo, a global fair the government had been hoped would help to put a new face on Italy after years of economic decline.

Thick clouds of smoke from burning cars filled parts of central Milan, where groups of protesters, their faces masked against the fumes, threw stones and faced off against lines of police in riot gear.

The confrontation came hours after a glitzy opening ceremony at the Expo site, with Prime Minister Matteo Renzi hailing the start of a six-month-long showpiece of culture and technology, that focused on the theme of sustainable food production.

Clashes overshadow start of Milan Expo

I am still reading and never heard of the #noexpo before. More info in the link.
Again this is the first Pope ever to make me proud to be catholic:

Pope Francis, who spoke via a televised link-up to the opening ceremony, referred to the irony of a global mega-spectacle dependent on corporate sponsorship deals being devoted to sustainable development and feeding the poor. "In certain ways, the Expo itself is part of this paradox of abundance, it obeys the culture of waste and does not contribute to a model of equitable and sustainable development," he said. The real protagonists of the event should be "the faces of the men and women who are hungry, who fall ill and even die because of an insufficient or harmful diet," he said.

edit on 1-5-2015 by Peeple because: add

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

# and i actually wanted to go there.
RT with video

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Peeple

This one promise to be one for the books, just check these 2 photos and see what I mean :

This side we have the usual :

But the other side got geared up too :

Epic battle ahead?

.....sup whith the guy on wheelchair !!! ???

elcomercio.pe...
edit on 1-5-2015 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

There is also a slideshow but couldn't find any new news. Maybe later today when the counting is finished.
The guy in the wheely surely makes a few policemen very uncomfortable, i guess.

new topics

top topics

join