It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freddie Gray's Death Ruled a Homicide; 6 Officers Charged!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
The driver, Goodson, was charged with Depraved-heart murder.
This term was unfamiliar to me, so I looked it up. Here it is, for those interested:

Depraved-heart murder, also known as depraved-indifference murder, is an American legal term for an action that demonstrates a "callous disregard for human life" and results in death. In most states, depraved-heart killings constitute second-degree murder.[1]

If no death results, such acts would generally be defined as reckless endangerment (sometimes known as "culpable negligence") and possibly other crimes, such as assault.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: tothetenthpower
WOW.

Couple of facts so far:

1. He was illegally arrested.

2.The knife he was carrying was entirely legal.

3. Six officers face unknown charges.

~Tenth

I'd like to know more about the knife. Source? In MD any knife that folds into the handle is legal regardless of size. However even with no spring or button, a knife that can fall open or does not hold itself closed is considered a switchblade or gravity knife and they throw you under the jail for that here.

I have only heard it referred to as a switchblade. An officer, sheriff I believe, lost his job over a knife confiscation not too long ago. Many believe there is a blade length max, even police, but dead wrong.

If it folds into the handle you can conceal it regardless of size. Fixed blades of any size cannot be concealed. Automatic or gravity knives are serious trouble no matter how they find them.

PS. They found the knife after. Should be inadmissible regardless. If they touched him for looking at them that's assualt. Still I think whether the knife was in fact legal or not could have significant bearing on the outcome of the case.
edit on 1-5-2015 by ISawItFirst because: Added Post Script

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I have to ask, why does the amount of charges imply pandering to the community? Couldn't the amount of charges actually indicate the seriousness and level these officers took it with Mr. Gray?

they piled them on to try and insure a conviction of at least one charge. juries are a funny thing, they may not see everything the way a prosecuting attorney or a defense lawyer does.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

So the witches have been found. When are they going to be burned at the stake?

link   

Well, if they abused their power and caused harm, then they deserve to stand trial for their actions.

Too bad the population there in Baltimore couldn't resist in tearing apart their own town, and just waited to see what happens when an investigation actually works.

link   

originally posted by: introvert

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Anyone else feel this is all being done to ease Baltimore tension rather than seek justice?

Yep, as implied by my reply on page 1.

Not alone then.
Does appear that way imo.

Also the amount of charges seems to imply as much pandering to the community as possible.

& you may well be right, they'll probably all walk.

Edit: Hope I'm wrong on all counts.

I have to ask, why does the amount of charges imply pandering to the community? Couldn't the amount of charges actually indicate the seriousness and level these officers took it with Mr. Gray?

It doesn't have to imply that...

Could easily be what you suggested.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
There is one other thing to be learned from Freddy Gray's death. I have given this advice for over 20 years. Never make direct eye contact with the police they take it as a challenge to their authority.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
let's see....the knife WASN'T a switchblade, and the van made a 4th stop (not mentioned by the van driver).....so why should anyone believe what the police have to say?

link   

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

WOW.

Couple of facts so far:

~Tenth

I'd like to know more about the knife. Source? In MD any knife that folds into the handle is legal regardless of size. However even with no spring or button, a knife that can fall open or does not hold itself closed is considered a switchblade or gravity knife and they throw you under the jail for that here.

I have only heard it referred to as a switchblade. An officer, sheriff I believe, lost his job over a knife confiscation not too long ago. Many believe there is a blade length max, even police, but dead wrong.

If it folds into the handle you can conceal it regardless of size. Fixed blades of any size cannot be concealed. Automatic or gravity knives are serious trouble no matter how they find them.

Here is an article about the MD knife laws, calling it antiquated. I have yet to see an image of the knife in question.
Antiquated law

link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

I don't believe that is the case here. It appears that the charges are quite specific and that the authorities are taking this very seriously.

Of course we will have to wait and see what transpires, but I am optimistic, regardless of the outcome, in saying that this is being properly approached by the prosecutors.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

they piled them on to try and insure a conviction of at least one charge.

Good! That is exactly what they do to ordinary citizens on a daily basis. Cops should be tried under the same standards & practices as everyone else; to a higher degree even.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: jimmyx
let's see....the knife WASN'T a switchblade, and the van made a 4th stop (not mentioned by the van driver).....so why should anyone believe what the police have to say?

Very well put.
We can't believe what they have to say in other cases either.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:11 AM
link   

I think it is partly that, as well as partly leaving very little room for for those charged to escape all charges. Police use this same tactic when piling on charges, and it appears they are getting a taste of their own medicine.

+2 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Making these memes are a blast...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: retiredTxn

I think it is partly that, as well as partly leaving very little room for for those charged to escape all charges. Police use this same tactic when piling on charges, and it appears they are getting a taste of their own medicine.

Yes.
If the higher charges don't get conviction and a lesser charge has not been listed, the defendant can walk. This helps ensure a conviction.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   
a reply to: ISawItFirst

That was live remarks from the press conference.

~Tenth

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

originally posted by: ISawItFirst

WOW.

Couple of facts so far:

~Tenth

Here is an article about the MD knife laws, calling it antiquated. I have yet to see an image of the knife in question.
Antiquated law

They are not talking about MD laws but Baltimore specific laws. MD law does allow spring assist knives. They differentiate by the handle vs blade as described in the article. I did not know Baltimore was more strict.

Sounds like his knife was in fact not legal. I'm still curious, although I don't think it matters. They had no probable cause to discover the knife.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Without the riots would this have happened? That's an important question, and makes the people poo pooing the community pretty silly if the answer is what I think it is; probably not.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Well, if they abused their power and caused harm, then they deserve to stand trial for their actions.

Too bad the population there in Baltimore couldn't resist in tearing apart their own town, and just waited to see what happens when an investigation actually works.

they did in previous cases, that's why the city had to pay out more than 5 million dollars in lawsuits....and look what that got them. that should have changed the way the Baltimore police did business, it did not. hence, the riot.....have you ever heard about how you can talk and talk, but until you slap them up beside the head, the "talk" doesn't sink in....maybe a bad analogy, but it works for me

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Im of this mind too,,,

If they did do what is reported they should damn sure pay the price.......

However, people are creatures of habit, and im afraid this "rioting" is going to become a learned behavior. And that anytime ANYTHING happens they think is unjust, whether it be or no, is going to turn to Baltimore and Ferguson, and peoples livelyhoods will continue to be destroyed.

Look justice should always be sought and served, however this is not the path to justice...

Protests and speaking out yes, destroying things no....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join