It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Freddie Gray's Death Ruled a Homicide; 6 Officers Charged!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Yeah I read & that you made sense...

The excerpt of the law doesn't.

It says 2ndDM can be unintentional in one segment...
"(2ndDM makes it illegal to commit any murder, even if it was not deliberate)"

& ends with the line "must be intentional"?
"(Therefore, a second degree murder must be intentional.)"

Thus my confusion.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

It's very surprising that they were willing to charge depraved heart, but I think that in and of itself may cause issues when people realize what that actually means.

Really? I don't have a problem with it at all.

Depraved-heart murder, also known as depraved-indifference murder, is an American legal term for an action where a defendant acts with a "depraved indifference" to human life and where such act results in a death. In a depraved-heart murder a defendant commits an act even though they know their act runs an unusually high risk of causing death or serious bodily harm to someone else. If the risk of death or bodily harm is great enough, ignoring it demonstrates a "depraved indifference" to human life and the resulting death is considered to have been committed with malice aforethought aka premeditation. In most states, depraved-heart killings constitute second-degree murder.
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

The only guarantee you have under the letter of the law. Is a endless debate of any law.( GD Lawyers)

edit on 1-5-2015 by Greathouse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Greathouse

The only guarantee you have under the letter of the law. Is a endless debate of any law.( GD Lawyers)

It's always the way.

Their jargon is designed to deceive imo.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

If we could understand it ourselves, we wouldn't have to pay a lawyer $500 an hour to help us out

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   
All I can say is I hope if they're guilty they get the ABSOLUTE MAX sentence for each charge cuz cops know better. At the same time, I truly think letting a bad guy off isn't nearly as bad as imprisoning an innocent person wasting his or her life away so I pray the jury isn't like OJs, using their power to make a racial statement. I pray they don't arrive at the supposition that one of them is innocent but want to pay back wrongful deaths of black people all over the country by still imprisoning an innocent as revenge. It sucks oj got off and I don't agree with the reasoning but I do see why they did that and can get over it as I don't think he's out to kill again. I couldn't, however, handle watching a 50-60 yr sentence (basically life in prison for an adult) be handed to an innocent person as revenge since it's fighting fire with fire, taking another's life pointlessly as vengeance for a history of unrelated lives being ruined just because jury selection was skewed as it was so bull$#!tedly in the OJ trial so yea, crossing my fingers for a real jury selection process and not some insulting racially motivated fiasco.
edit on 5/1/2015 by AlexandrosTheGreat because: reformat and add a thought

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I am hoping that the DA and attorneys that are going to be responsible for prosecuting do there best, as if the persons being charged were not the police. And that the court transcripts are able to be read by all. This is going to be a jury trial and the people we need to be afraid for will be those on the Jury, cause if their names come out, they will be in the spot lite by both the public and the police.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I just had a thought I will throw this on the thread and see what people think.

What is going to happen when the cops start making bail? I don't have a crystal ball but I wouldn't rule out many of them making it on their own recognizance.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Greathouse

If any of them make it out on OR that is bs.
I don't care if they post it as that is everyone's right but their bails better be pretty damn high.
If it is only 10-20k then they are getting cut a sweet deal on bail.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
When Freddie Gray briefly locked eyes with police at 8:39 a.m. on a corner of an impoverished West Baltimore neighborhood two weeks ago, they seemed to recognize each other immediately. As three officers approached on bicycles along West North Avenue, the 25-year-old Gray was on the east corner of North Mount Street chatting with a friend, according to Shawn Washington, who frequents the block.

"Ay, yo, here comes Time Out," a young man on the opposite corner yelled, using a neighborhood term for police.

Gray swore, taking off on foot as the officers began hot-stepping on their pedals to catch up. One officer jumped off his bike to chase Gray on foot, police said.

"That was the last time I seen that man moving," said Washington, 48.

So, his lookout called out and he ran. They pick him up and in the video and there is no abuse. The autopsy showed that there was NO bodily injury, bruising or cuts. If he was in pain being carried to the van, and the videos and autopsy shows no trauma from the police, could he have simply tripped while eluding and have hurt himself. He was not that big. They then put him in the van and in trying to move he aggravates his injuries...if he was not strapped in this is an issue and could be manslaughter for whoever put him in but not 6 officers...think about it. Play Devils advocate here and look for the simplest reason.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:58 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

I have a feeling that they are just sacrificing them, to keep the riots from spreading. Either that, or they will go to trial and get off with a light sentence, as always.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:59 PM
link   
a reply to: matafuchs

autopsy shows no trauma from the police

The autopsy hasn't been released yet..

edit on 1-5-2015 by greydaze because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   
a reply to: jimmyx

This is sheer comedy..what kind of twisted psychopath says this sh%t?

"each of the officers diligently balanced their obligations to protect Mr. Gray and discharge their duties to protect the public.”

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Here is the problem with that.. the cops, once locked up, will have to be kept in protective custody.. ie: they cannot be in any main jail with other inmates..

that is costly for the city and thus, the tax payer. It will be easier for the city to simply let them out, either on OR or a bail they can manage, as a result.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:04 PM
link   
a reply to: greydaze

No.. the coroner said they don't give preliminary autopsies, and that they haven't released ANY report... basically, the coroner said the pd was lying when they said they had a preliminary autopsy report.

Sorry.. I cannot find that story again.. I read it last night..
edit on 1-5-2015 by OpinionatedB because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB
I stand corrected..Edited it.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: OpinionatedB

I see your point, I personally wouldn't mind it costing more so they don't get treated any different.
Would they let anyone else out on OR with the charges these men have?

If the bail is set right, they will get it back when they bail out.
I don't think there is any if they bail, it is a when

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
I didn't know this. 3 of the officers who are accused are black!

This will I hope help get this topic totally out of the racial perspective.

Of course black people have been and still are subject to the brunt of police abuse but I hope America understands that this is an issue that involves ALL races

Also, I am glad to see white people taking part in the marches

THIS IS A HUMAN ISSUE

I would like to add that IF more of other groups in America got more involved with the justice movement

WE CAN SHAKE THE WORLD!

.…And believe me that’s what they are afraid of

edit on 1-5-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Willtell

I gotta say the marches right now are making me proud to be a human. People of all colors marching, cops/army of all colors being cool, positive messages and signs...good stuff. On my way home I saw 6 BPD officers with about 10 young locals 20 somethings laughing, joking and just chillin'

Hope it lasts!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: IAMTAT

The first thing they need to do is pack up all that military gear and send it right back to the people that sent it to them.

The fact they they didn't realize they were being manipulated in the first place, tells you a little about their mentality. Any police officer that felt charged, important, sexy or powerful because he was in a costume, speaks volumes.

I still believe that the reason we have more Barney Fifes than Andys in the police departments, is by design.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join