It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Climate Change Could Push 1 In 6 Species To Brink Of Extinction

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Before I address issue with climate change deniers, let's look at article released today, May 1st 2015.

If world leaders fail to take action and climate change continues unabated, researchers say that one in six of the planet's species could be lost to extinction.

A new meta-analysis of more than 100 published studies has provided one of the most comprehensive examinations of the impact on biodiversity in a warming climate.

Rather than matching temperature change in a linear fashion, the loss of biodiversity accelerates with every degree of global warming, as shown by the study, which was published in the journal Science.

The root cause, identified in almost all the analyzed studies, is climate change — which shrinks the geographic range of a species' habitat. Unless that species can move to a similar area or adapt to a different environment, it can easily die out.

"Species were predicted to become extinct if their range fell below a minimum threshold," said study author Mark C. Urban from the University of Connecticut.

The global regions that will face the most severe impact on biodiversity as a result of climate change are Australia, New Zealand and South America. The researchers explained that this is because of the high number of species found in just those regions and nowhere else in the world.

The study comes as almost 200 governments are preparing for a climate summit in Paris this December. There, they will try to hammer out a global agreement on limiting carbon emissions in an effort to halt – or at least slow – global warming.

www.techtimes.com...

In basics, while scientist and leaders are worried on impact of climate changes caused and/or accelerated by us, humans, that will impact us - and only us, some scientist collected data and used more then 200 research papers and made prediction that 1/6 of species will face extinction with little changes in temperature.

Now, about those so called climate change deniers... I feel your pain... and I am sure that you would hold onto your belief (something that has no proof or evidence is called belief, right, just like religion) even in the case following happens...

Just as I don't care about religious belief, don't really care about your belief either...
edit on 1-5-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
a reply to: SuperFrog

I don't have any problem with the reality of climate change.

Of course climate changes. It always does - that is why it is called "climate".

What I have a problem with is " scientists " tampering with facts to push AGW theory ideologies (a theory taken as a fact is called an ideology).

Before (Raw temp):

data.giss.nasa.gov...

After:

data.giss.nasa.gov...

Yes, specie extinctions are influenced by climate. It has already happened 5 times in the past.

Does it mean we should treat Earth as a garbage can? Of course not. Does it mean we should continue killing animals for sport? No. Does it mean we should continue polluting and using fossile fuel? Hell no!

We don't need to wait for a catastrophe - we can all use our brains and change our ways before something really irrevocably bad happens.

edit on 1-5-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I think that this whole climate change debate is to take the heat off of the industries that are actually causing all the planet damages. The whole world will pay the taxes and fees and the corporations will continue to destroy the only habitable planet that we know off.

edit on 1-5-2015 by Witness2008 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Are the extinction of these species due to climate change in addition to the Holocene extinction that we are causing or are they just part of it?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Witness2008

I think that this whole climate change debate is to take the heat off of the industries that are actually causing all the planet damages. The whole world will pay the taxes and fees and the corporations will continue to destroy the only habitable planet that we know off.

I do strongly agree with it, and that is political side of it.

What makes me really worried is push by current administration is privatization of space exploration. In shorts, what you see happening here on earth will eventually happen on rest of planets we get access to... I hope before its to late, people release that what we see in movies such as Avatar is something that really might happen, us destroying every piece of universe we get our hands on... just because of greed of some.

a reply to: swanne

One of the first thing you learn on Statistics class is that the same data can be used to show different diagrams. Just for example, take every other record and you will see different picture on both of those diagrams. But overall review of all data that goes much more in dept then what is represented to you in given diagrams is used in science and points to what scientist try to explain to us - we are accelerating process of global climate change.

I am not denying that changes did not occur before, some near extinction events are linked to climate change, but to disregard all data because you think scientist are trying to trick you... and believe that scientist are driven by agenda... while we know what deniers are driven (or for better, by whom money are supported).

Just ask Heartland Institute...

www.inquisitr.com...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuperFrog
I do strongly agree with it, and that is political side of it.

What makes me really worried is push by current administration is privatization of space exploration. In shorts, what you see happening here on earth will eventually happen on rest of planets we get access to... I hope before its to late, people release that what we see in movies such as Avatar is something that really might happen, us destroying every piece of universe we get our hands on... just because of greed of some.

I think Avatar is unlikely to happen. Granted, I'm sure that some humans aren't above doing it, but with all the dead planetoids out there that we could potentially mine for resources, there should NEVER be a need to environmentally destabilize a planet with life on it.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
I think Avatar is unlikely to happen. Granted, I'm sure that some humans aren't above doing it, but with all the dead planetoids out there that we could potentially mine for resources, there should NEVER be a need to environmentally destabilize a planet with life on it.

I really hope that you are right, but from what I see here on earth... if human life is not issue for us... alien would be less...

Just look at what happened last few week in Oklahoma.

First, surge in Oklahoma quakes are linked to fracking, and ONLY 2 DAYS later followed by 'Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote To Outlaw Fracking Bans As Earthquakes In The State Spike'?!

If you think that corporation and sold out politicians would do better to aliens if given a chance...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Climate changes and the main driver is and always was the sun and the energies the earth receives from the cosmos . A good presentation on this connection is in this link " introduces plasma to the general reader and investigates how it enables variations in the Sun’s output to directly influence the weather systems here on Earth. " drive.google.com...

Piers Corbyn who has a much better track record on longer term weather/climate predictions then the host of the many climate models should be considered as someone that should not be ignored in the discussion .

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

I really hope that you are right, but from what I see here on earth... if human life is not issue for us... alien would be less...

Oh I agree with this sentiment 100%. Aliens (even intelligent ones) would be the first species would could ever dehumanize and not have to feel guilty about because they truly AREN'T human.

Just look at what happened last few week in Oklahoma.

First, surge in Oklahoma quakes are linked to fracking, and ONLY 2 DAYS later followed by 'Oklahoma Lawmakers Vote To Outlaw Fracking Bans As Earthquakes In The State Spike'?!

If you think that corporation and sold out politicians would do better to aliens if given a chance...

It's just that here on Earth, we can't GET away from nature. Everything we do on this planet is going to effect the ecosystem of where we are doing it. Meanwhile, offplanet there will be exceedingly MORE places for us to mine that DON'T have life. It's not that I think that we will suddenly gain a respect for life once we leave the planet (heck our respect for it will probably decrease once we don't have to live among it anymore), it's that I don't think it will be necessary to disrupt those systems when dead ones are easier to mine.

PS: Why didn't you answer my first question in the thread?
edit on 1-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Problem is price, mining on worlds that do not support life will be far more expensive then where there is some sort of life or life support that makes it easier and cheaper to mine. We are going bit off topic here, and I would love to discuss about this, as this is kind of concern to me, even willing to be optimist on the issue, I always end up linking it to our previous behavior and it just gets depressing from there...
Brings back memories about Well's motives for 'War of the Worlds' book. (British colonization of Africa)

From what I see, this is whole new extinction event. Yes, we already caused some species extinction, and 1/6 is rather big rise in efficiency of us destroying our habitat.

Thank you for your replies.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   

a reply to: Krazysh0t

Problem is price, mining on worlds that do not support life will be far more expensive then where there is some sort of life or life support that makes it easier and cheaper to mine. We are going bit off topic here, and I would love to discuss about this, as this is kind of concern to me, even willing to be optimist on the issue, I always end up linking it to our previous behavior and it just gets depressing from there...
Brings back memories about Well's motives for 'War of the Worlds' book. (British colonization of Africa)

I'd think that with 3D printing and advances in robotics mining non-life sustaining planets would be easier. No risk of wildlife (intelligent or otherwise) interfering with the mining operation, no need for environmental regulations that drive up price, it's easier to find mineral deposits when they aren't covered in wildlife, and more things. Not to mention, just because the planet can support life, doesn't mean that it can support human life.

From what I see, this is whole new extinction event. Yes, we already caused some species extinction, and 1/6 is rather big rise in efficiency of us destroying our habitat.

Thank you for your replies.

1/6 is only 16.7% of the species on the planet. That isn't nearly enough species going extinct to call it a major extinction event. The Holocene Extinction event that scientists are theorized we are responsible for is set to wipe out 70 - 90% of the species on the planet.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

What I have a problem with is " scientists " tampering with facts to push AGW theory ideologies (a theory taken as a fact is called an ideology).

Before (Raw temp):

After:

Either :
A. NASA purposely allows both sets of data to be available so that deniers can have a field day (despite being accused of lies and cover-up and thus able to remove the raw data without incurring anymore finger pointing than they already get!!!DUH!!!)
OR
B. You don't understand why.....

I think I'll go with B.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:02 AM
link   

So assuming all the theories about human caused Global Warming are correct and impending disaster is coming... What do we do? I haven't any sensible solutions or plans of actions.

Carbon taxing achieves nothing but wealth redistribution.
Who polices the countries that are polluting the most? www.actionforourplanet.com...#/top-10-polluting-countries/4541684868
Who stops the wealthy elite from jetting all over the planet and having 70,0000 square foot homes?
Could we not erect giant CO2 eating towers? Why aren't global warming believers doing this?
Could we not plant more rain forests/forests etc? Why aren't global warming believers doing this?

If you believed this true would you not do something? Other than be an Internet message board warrior?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Yeah... I've noticed wildlife (especially birds) have been disappearing from where I live in London. Its a shame coz I really love birds (the feathered kind). They are getting less and less here and it's kinda sad!

I really want to go knock some houses/shops down and seed some trees and shrubs in their place!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:41 AM
link   

1/6 is only 16.7% of the species on the planet. That isn't nearly enough species going extinct to call it a major extinction event. The Holocene Extinction event that scientists are theorized we are responsible for is set to wipe out 70 - 90% of the species on the planet.

No, not major extinction event, but this is only linked to climate changes, not to rest of our human activities, of most are covered by 'holocene extinction'. After further reading about it, I believe this would just move Holocene numbers up and my previous statement incorrect. Clearly should read more about it, before replying.
Thanks!

a reply to: jjkenobi
Either we will find the way... or one day we might be close to extinction...
edit on 1-5-2015 by SuperFrog because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Yea. It's pretty crazy that we are having SUCH an impact that scientists have determined that humans are a natural disaster on par of an asteroid slamming into the earth.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Just as I don't care about religious belief, don't really care about your belief either...

Right back at you,

Good luck with that attitude

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: PsychoEmperor

Right back at you,

Good luck with that attitude

Would you have me rather lie and tell you about those 2 things that should be imho something personal and not something you should held onto others?

Just being honest, I really don't care about either one. Add to that Ken Ham and his 6K old planet...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

I am not denying that changes did not occur before, some near extinction events are linked to climate change, but to disregard all data because you think scientist are trying to trick you... and believe that scientist are driven by agenda... while we know what deniers are driven (or for better, by whom money are supported).

How do you know scientists are not trying to trick you?-----some scientist have left the IPCC panel because of the way funding was given to do research in respect of AGW, at least.
How do you know that the IPCC isn't trying to trick you?....the IPCC's final cut reports cherrypick and leave off panellists reports in that final cut.
It's not so easy to have doubts about the whole thing of climate change and so not yay,
because you want to put doubters in the shinola club...I see what you did there, and that is propaganda.

edit on 1-5-2015 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Before (Raw temp):

data.giss.nasa.gov...

After:

data.giss.nasa.gov...

Yes, specie extinctions are influenced by climate. It has already happened 5 times in the past.

Does it mean we should treat Earth as a garbage can? Of course not. Does it mean we should continue killing animals for sport? No. Does it mean we should continue polluting and using fossile fuel? Hell no!

We don't need to wait for a catastrophe - we can all use our brains and change our ways before something really irrevocably bad happens.

There are adjustments. Look at other stations than just that one. I know it might take some time, but they have adjusted data in England to show lower temperatures, for example.

You are trying to comment on science when you do not know it.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join