It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abusive Customer - Disabled Cashier - WWYD?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Did someone say "WWYD" and "Disabled"?!

Got a youtube video for that.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think the two best approaches are to forward some praise to management or help teach the guy how to deal with it. Both in conjunction are probably best. If he just started, this may have been the first time but it will be FAR from the last.

Anyone who has worked serving the public in such a manner will encounter this frequently. It's an uphill battle to try to change all the people who act like this, but he can learn how to not let it get to him (or yourself)!

I was working at a book store once and had something similar happen. She was looking for a book that had blue on the cover.. When I struggled to identify it, she flipped out and started swinging. Cops were called, etc. One of my co-workers, in a separate incident, was knocked out cold because he spelled a book title wrong in a search..

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

Diffusion sometimes works better than confrontation. It also doesn't allow the person to get defensive....to diffuse the situation you could have said something like this:

"Hi, I couldn't help but notice your cadiallac....I've been thinking about getting one. Do you like your car? ..."

I, too, don't like confrontations too much, so I prefer to work around the issue just a little bit.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
I've worked in the service industry. That can be a no win situation for the worker. As a customer my hands AREN'T tied. I've confronted more than one abusive customer. And I'll do it again. You want to be a prick, try it with someone that can fire back.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

EXACTLY!!!

The employee's hands are tied in what they are allowed to do, but a fellow customer's ISN'T. Picking on the handicapped is about as low as it get's in my book. Last night there was a cashier with limited mobility in a store and her customer was yapping on her cell phone as she damn near fell out of her wheelchair trying to reach the items on the belt to scan them.

I had to move the items closer for her, & tell the idiot customer to FFS put your cell phone down before this kid hurts herself ringing your crap out. WTF???? The idiot customer was a Nurse of all things. Caring my butt!!!!

I was proud for this girl she was working and doing her best without complaining. We didn't talk but she gave me the most beautiful smile.....totally worth the "little talk" I had with the lousy Nurse.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Caver78 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

I likely would have stuck around. It's hard to say beyond that, because you'd have to be there to gauge the situation and decide if she was physically dangerous, or just a, um, witch. If I didn't think she was dangerous, I'd probably speak up, or have the hubby do so, and if I thought she was, I might actually call the cops. Video would be VERY likely. From every angle I could get without her noticing. Taking down her license plate as well, would be good, if possible. At your size? Harder call. Verbal abuse of the clerk could easily have turned to physical abuse of you. I'm 5'5", and not exactly frail, and have been told I can be "scary", though I don't get that one! Even so, some people are nuts, so you have to be careful.

Something you could do is report this to the store management, so they could consider checking cameras, if they have any, and perhaps banning her from the store. Sounds like, considering the car and clothing, that she's some stuck up snob that thinks the world works for her. Totally understand the continued fuming.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:44 AM
link   
I would have said "what the hell is wrong with you, why are you being so rude?"

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Thank you all for being so kind with suggestions.
In the future I'll have better ammo should anything like this happen again.

UPDATE.

I spoke with the manager yesterday, and she was already aware of the situation. The folks who run and work that store are a close knit family, and turns out the crystal clear real-time CCTV they installed last year also records audio!

They've got the whole incident on tape, and they know what to expect from that creature should she ever return...all employees have been briefed and know what to do in such cases should they arise.

The cashier is in good company over there.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Rude ultra demanding customers that make female cashiers burst into tears are bulling jerks.
And I would call them out on it, with a simple 'Hey dude stop bullying the cashier".

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 12:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES
Thank you all for being so kind with suggestions.
In the future I'll have better ammo should anything like this happen again.

UPDATE.

I spoke with the manager yesterday, and she was already aware of the situation. The folks who run and work that store are a close knit family, and turns out the crystal clear real-time CCTV they installed last year also records audio!

They've got the whole incident on tape, and they know what to expect from that creature should she ever return...all employees have been briefed and know what to do in such cases should they arise.

The cashier is in good company over there.

That's great you went back in and talked about it with management. Even though in this case, it probably didn't matter since they apparently have great audio and video recording, we all know that most places DON'T have that - and in those cases, it comes down to employee's word vs. customer's word - which really blows if the manager is a turd.

I'm thrilled to read your update that you took time out of your life to make sure the situation was rectified as much as you could. Most people wouldn't.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

hindsight is 20 20 so I'm saying this without having been there during the emotional confrontation but whether understanding what she said or not would have told her that item is at the other dollar store on the other side of town. hopefully it would have taken the heat off the gentleman cashier and said ash hole would have left.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Well, let your husband go to the car. No reason for him to get upset. Then, walk over to the woman and let her know that "you think someone is breaking into her car. You know, the red Cadillac?"

Then ask the cashier to call the manager, right away. Stay with him until the manager gets there, explain the situation and then go join your husband in the car. If the woman confronts you, just say "They weren't breaking in? Oh, that's great. Bye bye now."

Some people act like baboons, slapping the lesser baboons to make themselves feel better. It's your job to act like a human being and trick the baboon into chasing some other banana.

www.youtube.com...
edit on 5/3/2015 by lincolnparadox because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Are you a racist did you have to really use the words disabled cashier I know I'm not the only one who noticed this

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: qwertygfddf09

Are you a racist did you have to really use the words disabled cashier I know I'm not the only one who noticed this

What??

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:56 AM
link   
a reply to: blupblup

Yeah racist that's what i said does it matter if the cashier is diabled how would you know?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 10:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Caver78

How would you the employee is handicapped?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: socketdude

How would you know the employee is disabled?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Yeah racist that's what i said does it matter if the cashier is diabled how would you know?

What does race have to do with whether someone is able-bodied or disabled?
Are you OK? You seem slightly unhinged.

Go outside... take some deep breaths OK?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Racist...... Is bigoted more proper it's tge same thing theres nothing but fake sympathy here for the employee here and I've been called retarded and asked if I'm disabled many times no.... I'm not and what does it matter?

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Racist...... Is bigoted more proper it's tge same thing theres nothing but fake sympathy here for the employee here and I've been called retarded and asked if I'm disabled many times no.... I'm not and what does it matter?

What are you talking about?
Racism pertains to one's race... hence the term racism.
Disability or being handicapped refers to a physical or mental impairment.

They are not even remotely linked, in any way, shape or form.

Please stop talking nonsense.

The point is that screaming at anyone is bad enough but screaming at someone who may have a mental issue or may not fully realise why they're being shouted it is just low man, it's about decency and morality.
If you can't see what people are talking about then i can't help you man.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join