It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abusive Customer - Disabled Cashier - WWYD?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:19 AM
link   
It's been over six hours since the following incident occurred, and I'm still fuming.

I live in a fairly low income area.

You can walk anywhere you need (grocers, entertainment, food) and neighbors watch out for one another.

Our primary demographic is the elderly, disabled, and families awaiting housing.

Across the way a few blocks is one of those "dollar stores". My husband I frequently go there for the occasional gallon of milk or bread, and recently they hired a shy and socially awkward young man.

I believe he has a slight learning disability, but he's very eager and very helpful and polite. He's also one of our neighbors here in the next building and I see him around a lot in passing...he always smiles and asks my name because he forgets.

He works two part time jobs in the neighborhood at two separate locations, one being the aforementioned dollar store.

Tonight, after packing our two items and wishing us a nice evening, the woman in line behind us got her turn.

She asked for an item....something so obscure even I did not understand entirely what she meant...and when the cashier politely asked her to clarify what she meant, she turned the volume on her voice up and started barking orders at this poor guy in even a more confusing and demanding manner, because by golly, she just had to have the precious consumer item right...freaking...NOW.

We were on our way out of the store when she let into this young man, and my blood instantly began to boil.

Now, understand something - this wasn't some drug addict or street junkie - this was a well dressed "professional woman" who had a new maroon Cadillac parked right out front. I wonder, if this woman can't clearly communicate to a cashier clerk what she needs from a dollar store, how the hell in god's name can she do any sort of professional work in order to afford such high payments on such an expensive luxury car?

She was virtually incoherent in her insistence for "the thing" and with every passing second she became ruder, more impatient, and louder.

Meanwhile, the cashier clerk is doing his best to find what she's looking for an apologizing that he doesn't understand what she means.

Meanwhile. I'm getting irate, really steamed off. My husband knows my temper runs hot and quickly tells me to move along and head home. He has social anxiety pretty badly and doesn't want to get involved. Meanwhile, I'm getting madder and madder and realize I need to walk away before I get myself in trouble, and there's no way I'm pulling my husband into that given his sensitivities.

There was no manager or other employees in sight during this entire altercation.

That young man is mildly disabled and didn't deserve that kind of treatment in any capacity.

My question to the fine citizenry of ATS is this:

What would you have done if you were in my shoes?

(I'm a little over five foot and wear a size 7...that woman could have beat me down with a single glare.)

We're all getting tired of bullies around here.

edit on 5/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: fixed formatting

+1 more 
posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   
Suck on your pinky finger for a second.
Get it good and wet.
Insert into the ear of the offensive person.
That usually diffuses the situation.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:30 AM
link   
a reply to: skunkape23

I wish I could find the humor in this.
I'm afraid I really don't.

edit on 5/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: grammar correction

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

People like that don't change you can give her a taste of her own medicine and be ugly towards her too, but I'd say shes a pretty unhappy and miserable person. Thats enough for me knowing that. The cashier will forget about her and move on but that woman must live with herself forever.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:35 AM
link   
You could always just put a boot in their ass.
I prefer more creative violence.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23
Suck on your pinky finger for a second.
Get it good and wet.
Insert into the ear of the offensive person.
That usually diffuses the situation.

Lmao I was gonna say key her Cadillac, but this^
edit on 1-5-2015 by rockintitz because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   
a reply to: PeachesNCream

I don't wish to be ugly towards anyone.
It never solves anything.
I know this.

Well, be as creative as you wish.
Around here we obey the Laws.

After reading the replies thus far, I'm guessing it's the Midnight Kiddy Hour.
Gee, I'm so pleased you'll inherit the Earth.
Such shock. Much awe.

edit on 5/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:43 AM
link   

I swear some people just use the cashiers to vent sometimes.

I think I would have tried to help the kid, as I have been that kid back in the day. Like tell the lady that I couldn't understand what she was saying either.

I also would have tried to find another employee but as you said there was none around. Don't think you were wrong doing what you did though.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Thanks.

I wanted to grab her license plate and report a civil disturbance.
Husband wouldn't let me.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:46 AM
link   

One option is to stand and stare. Very obviously. You don't have to make a mean face or an aghast face or anything. Just a "yup, I see your bad behavior" look.

It's a low risk way to hold someone accountable.

Further, you are now a witness. In my experience people who behave like this will ask for a manager, then tell lies. If you watch them, they either can't do that or if they did, you can then speak up nicely and say - that's not at all what happened.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: GENERAL EYES

I don't wish to be ugly towards anyone.
It never solves anything.
I know this.

Around here we obey the Laws.

After reading the replies thus far, I'm guessing it's the Midnight Kiddy Hour.
Gee, I'm so pleased you'll inherit the Earth.
Such shock. Much awe.

Google "first world problems"

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   

What would you have done if you were in my shoes?

I'd have added some nice, deep racing stripes down one side of that new maroon Caddy myself... but I'm an A-hole.

It's often best to hit people like that in a manner they neither expect nor can claim any control over, such as what I mentioned above, or grab a can of soda, get in line behind them like you're buying it, shake that bad boy up and crack the top while aimed at their back. Simple fact, if you'd soaked her back down with Coke, what's the worst case scenario? If she spins around and decks you, you just won yourself a shiny new Cadillac of your own in the certain victory civil suit over getting physically assaulted over a spilled drink. Best case scenario, she chuffs "Why, I never" and storms out while you get the chance to yell "There's your problem, maybe you should!" back at her as she's exiting the store.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Ameilia

I'm stopping in tomorrow and telling the manager what a great job this young cashier did in the face of that whirlwind of chaotic and irrational anger. At least they'll know at that level what a great job he's doing.

Plus, I hope her karma bites her in the butt.
HARD.

edit on 5/1/15 by GENERAL EYES because: ugh. clarity. long night, bad day

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Around here we obey the laws.

I make my own laws.
As long as no one gets hurt, or has property damaged, it is all legal.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

key her Cadillac

Strangely enough that was my first thought .
edit on 1-5-2015 by hutch622 because: So papa bear , realising his house had been broken into rang 911 . The phone was answered with , hello yogi . Meanwhile goldilocks suffering from porridge induced nightmares

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:00 AM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6
I like the way you think.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I would have turned around and told the lady in the most belittling way I could that I will help her if she needs help and to stop yelling, that's saved for children.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Neutrality because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Probably wouldn't do much good anyway.

If you know the kids name, leave a review praising him. Like if they have a call in line or just calling in the day and talking to the manager and just say how fantastic he was helping you.

That should get him some bonus points from his boss/manager.
Not saying lie through your teeth, but you make him sound like a good worker so isn't to much of a lie.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ameilia

One option is to stand and stare. Very obviously. You don't have to make a mean face or an aghast face or anything. Just a "yup, I see your bad behavior" look.

It's a low risk way to hold someone accountable.

Further, you are now a witness. In my experience people who behave like this will ask for a manager, then tell lies. If you watch them, they either can't do that or if they did, you can then speak up nicely and say - that's not at all what happened.

Having worked in the electronics department of wal-mart during the evening hours for ten years, I can tell you as a witness, this method actually works with good success

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Too bad you didn't have a cell phone camera to hold up and record. It always works, imo. Then she either would have calmed down, or you would have had something to show the manager as well should you not go on YT. (I say that, yet I would not have the faintest idea how to upload something from my old flip top cell.)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join