It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ever feel like you can relate to cartoon and comic characters more than people?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:58 PM
link   
My hubby is homer simpson with the big heart and the foolish mistakes all they way. But I am no marge, unless you count the daily moments where I warn him against something he's bound to do anyway and then I grumble. I identify more with the bears wife from cleveland show. But most days I feel like Im one step away from being the rednecks wife from the same show.

what character(s) do you identify with and why?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thisisfun2015
My hubby is homer simpson with the big heart and the foolish mistakes all they way. But I am no marge, unless you count the daily moments where I warn him against something he's bound to do anyway and then I grumble. I identify more with the bears wife from cleveland show. But most days I feel like Im one step away from being the rednecks wife from the same show.

what character(s) do you identify with and why?

It's not so much why, cartoon characters are created by people and mostly extreme caricatures of real life people, and it's easier to see the silliness just by watching a 'toon' than being in a real life situation head to head. Mind you, I have met a few real life 'Toons'

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015

I suppose my choice is her.

Hail Discordia

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Cartoons are oversimplified so are comic book characters.

You don't live in the cartoons ink drawn shoes so to speak. you get to see the essential of the fictional characters life, not all the times he hit his toe on the corner of a wall because the phone was ringing and the dog needs to be walked but you couldn't get around it because right before the phone rang you misplaced the leach and now you are on the phone your toe hurts and the dog pooed on the carpet. Sure you get to see it sometimes, but not all the time. You can't turn life off or close the book.

Life is full of small details that are important that a cartoon or comic will not and cannot capture because it would be 5 minutes or 500 pages long just to show you how he walked to the bus stop.

Ideals are easy to relate too, it is acting them out in real life within reasonable limits that is the art.

Like trying to never lie like superman. Sounds awesome! Now ask a mother who her country is being invaded by aggressors if she will reveal the truth on where are her 16 year old daughters are to the thugs harassing her.

Life is not art, it imitates it, but it is not it.
edit on 30-4-2015 by bitsforbytes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Fry from Futurama!

He's just kind of your average joe. He makes mistakes and is maybe a bit ignorant but good hearted.

I don't know why but that show really resonated with me. It wasn't just a comedy cartoon for adults it was a bit more than that.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 04:13 AM
link   
Bugs Bunny, the Pink Panther, and Gumby.
All major influences on who I grew up to be.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015

From the side wall of my 'fridge, these yellowed newspaper clipping from two Calvin and Hobbes strips from 1995:

Calving and hopes looking at the night sky. Calvin says, "Look at all of the stars! the universe just goes out forever and ever! Hobbes responds, "It kind of makes you wonder why man considers himself such a big screaming deal."

Next frame they are inside the house watching a blaring TV with stereo also on and a phone ringing in the background. Calvin says, "That's why we stay inside with our appliances."

The other cartoon of Calvin and Hobbes: Calvin is shown shouting to the world. "I stand FIRM in my belief of what's right! I REFUSE to compromise my principles!" The next frame shows his mother approach with intent determination. The last frame shows Calvin in a bathtub. He tells us: "I don't NEED to compromise my principles, because they don't have the slightest bearing on what happens to me anyway."

Both Calvin and I are trapped by nature and circumstances beyond our control.

edit on 1-5-2015 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Stan Marsh.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   
In high school I always felt like SPY v. Spy from the old Mad magazines. No matter how I thought I was getting things together and had the upper hand, BOOM!

new topics

top topics

join