It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magical Mayan Mercury from dragons blood.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
I partially put this in a post in another thread, but thought it might be worthy of a thread of its own in the paranormal forum for you guys who might not frequent the advanced, oops I mean ancient a lost civilisations forum. Mods, I hope this forum is ok for this topic.

Enjoy.

There have been reports of caches of mercury found at mayan complexes and it has been known to been in the possession of other ancient civilisations too. It can be made by burning cinnabar and condensing the vapours

To produce liquid mercury (quicksilver), crushed cinnabar ore is roasted in rotary furnaces. Pure mercury separates from sulfur in this process and easily evaporates.

A condensing column is used to collect the liquid metal

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Was the use of mercury vapour used by the mayans as holographic medium for spirit? Carvings of vision serpents emerging from bowls are awash with ancestors emerging from the serpents emerging from bowls...

In both Mesoamerica and South America, cinnabar was an important trade item. The Mayan may have considered cinnabar to be sacred because of its red color. Red was considered to be the color of the east, and may also have symbolized blood as well as life, though there is no solid evidence for this.

The ancient Maya used cinnabar in their jewelry, set into incised decorations, as a paint pigment and as part of certain rituals such as funeral rituals and rituals involving fire. For rituals involving fire, Mayan priests would burn cinnabar to release the mercury.

faoifengshui.blogspot.co.uk...

During a blood letting ritual participants would experience visions in which they communicated with the ancestors or gods. These visions took the form of a giant serpent "which served as a gateway to the spirit realm." The ancestor or god who was being contacted was depicted as emerging from the serpent’s mouth. The vision serpent thus came to be the method in which ancestors or Gods manifested themselves to the Maya. Thus for them, the Vision Serpent was a direct link between the spirit realm of the gods and the physical world.

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Is the vision serpent a vapourous apparition from evaporated mercury from the ritual burning of dragons blood in a bowl?

Quantities of liquid mercury ranging from 90 to 600 grams (3.2 to 21.2 oz) have been recovered from elite Maya tombs or ritual caches at six sites. This mercury may have been used in bowls as mirrors for divinatory purposes.

Liquid mercury found under Mexican pyramid could lead to king's tomb

Could the mercury be a byproduct from their magical practices?

Wifi
edit on 30-4-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Could the Vision Serpent be what we would call a wormhole?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Oannes

Yes I thought about that before...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Wifibrains

I find the idea of a vision serpent actually fits in with one of my own experiences,
although I didn't use a bowl of mercury.
I simply painted, and went into a vision.

Thanks for the links, I am going to go read up on the vision serpent.

edit on 30-4-2015 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Darkblade71

Ah, I remember the thread about this painting. Nice work.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I think it's possible that mercury vapor may have played some part in their interpretations. Along with certain fungi and cacti, that would have provided them with powerful visions.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: PorteurDeMort
I think it's possible that mercury vapor may have played some part in their interpretations. Along with certain fungi and cacti, that would have provided them with powerful visions.

Not for long. Deliberately inhaling mercury vapor would have killed them in short order.

How many of these ridiculous mercury threads are we gonna have this week?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: AdmireTheDistance

Maybe they used a breathing apparatus?

How many thread you gonna put down this week?

Hey! why dont you just go hang around in the rant forum...

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Perhaps it could of been used in a ritualistic way
A Mayan shaman could of used the the vapour to enhance a trance to communicate with the gods or try to predict the outcome of certain events

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Or, you know they hallucinated because Mercury is POISONOUS! I know touching it isn't good, breathing it can't be very good either.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wifibrains
Maybe they used a breathing apparatus?

"Breathing apparatus" or no, if they were directly and intentionally inhaling mercury vapor, they damn sure weren't doing it long, given the incredibly detrimental effects it has on one's health, and the fact that it accumulates in the body.

How many thread you gonna put down this week?

That depends how many ill-informed or totally asinine threads are made this week, and that catch my eye.

Hey! why dont you just go hang around in the rant forum...

Should I feel the need to rant about something, perhaps I will. Calling out ignorance and misinformation where I see it is not ranting.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:49 AM
link   

Breathing apparatus" or no, if they were directly and intentionally inhaling mercury vapor, they damn sure weren't doing it long, given the incredibly detrimental effects it has on one's health, and the fact that it accumulates in the body.

Breathing apparatus so they did not inhale the toxic fumes. Did you think I meant like a crack pipe. Lol. You are funny.

Should I feel the need to rant about something, perhaps I will. Calling out ignorance and misinformation where I see it is not ranting.

Misinformation? You must know what the mercury was for and how they acquired it then. Please, do share the correct information. If not, your claim that this is misinfo could just as well be misinformation as really you don't have a clue, are afraid to take a guess and would rather be spoon fed by mainstream. Go on... Have a stab in the dark, what was it for, don't be scared?

edit on 2-5-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

How many of these ridiculous mercury threads are we gonna have this week?
Lots of things in this world are frustrating, I get it, but I can't help but ask, why do you read yet another post about mercury? That member has right to post, correct? Let the small stuff go, Bro. Use your life and mental resources wisely. Oh BTW, yours is the coolest avatar I've ever seen. LOVE man, LOVE

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I thought mercury was used in decoration of items for royals such is discoloring jade to a red?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Interesting concept, I like how you tie in the breathing apparatus. A lot of Mayan art seems to tell a story. What than, is going up that nose? Maybe Mercury maybe something else. Don't discount anything.
edit on 2-5-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

It could be that fresh air is being inhaled through the nose leaving the mouth free to speak. The mercury vapour from the burning cinnabar would be a metallic hue in the air. The supposition is that if a spirit is electromagnetic in form, by moving into the metallic hue it could manipulate it magnetically creating a form and charge it electrically making it glow as mercury vapour behaves like noble gas, creating a hologram type vision.

edit on 2-5-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Quote from relevant post...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

In keeping my eye open for some sort of scientific proof for mercury vapour being able to be charged and manipulated by spirit I found that experiments have been carried out with mercury vapour and artificial electromagnetic generation....

So it seems that it may be possible for the metallic elements to be arranged into what ever form the magnetism should dictate, but there was question as to the resistivity depends on how dense the film is which can be controlled by temperature?

Is this pretty much similar to the way a plasma tv works?

Any help putting this into leymans terms would be appreciated as parts of this pdf seems to be in another language to forbid a layman from understanding fully.

However, I was not interested in the number crunching...

Just give me the conclusion!...

Very interesting indeed...

Experiment conclusion.... (Snippets)

"The use of a magnetic field made it possible to separate the phenomena due to the presence of superconductivity in the film.

Superconductivity can apparently be ob- served in high-resistance films of metal deposited together with a dielectric, e.g., with an inert gas.

From among the pure metals, according to present- day experimental data,' only mercury becomes superconducting at a sufficiently large initial thickness.

These phenomena can be qualitatively explained by assuming a two-dimensional character of the localization in mercury films."

www.jetp.ac.ru...

Well, if possible it only leaves to speculation how the ancients would/could have controlled and adjusted the variables needed for the energies to be able to manipulate the vapours into a perceivable form, as shown in vision serpent carvings...

edit on 3-5-2015 by Wifibrains because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
I think the mercury was part of a metallurgic process that would have been considered "magical" to people of the time not familiar with the chemistry involved. I think if mercury was a viable hallucinogenic (and the ancient Myans had access to a LOT of actual viable hallucinogenics) then it would be used widely as a recreational drug, or at least as a medicine (think Lithium).

I could be wrong tho.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: ItVibrates

Hi, I was not assuming it was used as a hallucinogen that was admirethedistance with their derailing...

I was thinking more along the lines of "itvibrates" or forms a real hologram type interactive display for communication across the physical boundary to another dimension or the spirit world. Coincidentally it is used in lighting and visual technology.

posted on May, 3 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Ok my bad. I read the above post again after some caffeine and I think I understand your premis a bit better.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join