It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"American Reflexxx", A Disturbing Film Shot in my Backyard

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Mr. YouTube video creator, what you've just (filmed) is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever (seen). At no point in your rambling, incoherent (video) were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having (viewed) it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

- Adapted from Billy Madison.

Oh if you could get 10,000 points for a film reference about a bad student film.

Kudos for this post.

"It was cool when I was in high school" - Billy Madison

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sekerofknowlege
She wasn't doing anybody harm, and all the trash people attacking was ugly, especially that fat ugly b•tch that pushed her.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I didn't see anything disturbing, except for the camera work that made my eyes hurt. It was more pointless than anything.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger
I think people are getting the wrong idea. It's not a student film, and the film's maker wasn't trying to make a 'quality' movie. She just wanted to document the public's reaction to the woman in the mask.

Here's the story.

It smacks terribly of student film making.

So what that they called themselves performance artists...their level of film making is first year "Fundamentals of Cinematography" class.

I've been to film school, I graduated film school, I worked with film students....this is student film making. Even if they say they are performance artists, they can call themselves that while in art school.

When I made my first short film project, which won a film festival award, you would not believe the people who really thought that my fake security guard was real, the homeless guy was real and they thought the homeless guy deserved to be beaten.

While we had all the cameras and equipment set up...people STILL thought it was real.

I would have thought it was just performance art until I saw the guy with the axe, that just made me laugh, because it is so typical for acting and makeup found in student films.

They didn't know how to edit, that much is true.

Call them performance artists, I say they failed art school.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:34 PM
link   
According to this the only 2 in on it were the camera guy and the woman wearing the mask.

The crowd was just your typical mix of people at a tourist trap in the states.

From the YT page.

American Reflexxx is a short film documenting a social experiment that took place in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. Director Alli Coates captured performance artist Signe Pierce as she strutted down a busy oceanside street in stripper garb and a reflective mask. The pair agreed not to communicate until the experiment was completed, but never anticipated the horror that would unfold in under an hour.

The result is a heart wrenching technicolor spectacle that raises questions about gender stereotypes, mob mentality, and violence in America.

Directed by: Alli Coates
Starring: Signe Pierce
Filmed on location in Myrtle Beach, SC

What great strides society has made, we are becoming so enlightened.

But hey.....Do what thou wilt

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

It's still better than "The Expendables 3"

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: ColeYounger

It's still better than "The Expendables 3"

Probably so, I haven't seen that one.

I just don't watch movies, I'm kind of weird like that. I have made films and written films and even published articles on films, but I just don't go watch any movie because I don't want any IQ points droppage. Then I would have to sue the production company.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:14 PM
link   

The only thing disturbing in this video were the people.

Apparently I'm taking Myrtle Beach off my Christmas card list.

And to all of you who are critiquing the film like you're film savants, this got the message across loud and clear. It was not pretentious and was very effective by their complete silence. The hostility shown to the model was brought on without a word or action taken. She was simply existing. Transphobia is just one more catalyst showing the depravity of a twisted and broken people.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo

The only thing disturbing in this video were the people.

Apparently I'm taking Myrtle Beach off my Christmas card list.

And to all of you who are critiquing the film like you're film savants, this got the message across loud and clear. It was not pretentious and was very effective by their complete silence. The hostility shown to the model was brought on without a word or action taken. She was simply existing. Transphobia is just one more catalyst showing the depravity of a twisted and broken people.

I'm the closest to a film savant on this thread. My occupation and degree allows me to critique films.

I wouldn't suggest to you that you aren't qualified in your chosen field. By the way, I have a new channel on youtube, where I do critique films. But that isn't interesting enough for people, my film studies are less interesting than Annunaki it seems.

Yes, as a film reviewer, a film school graduate, a writer of both plays and screen plays, and a published writer on films, right now, I am qualified to critique it as I see it, and as I see it, there's nothing remotely real about it. Whatever the message the artist is trying to project, it failed in delivering for me.

What are the themes?

The only thing I saw is a bunch of people standing around looking at what they perceived to be a woman, thinking it was a man. A man then comes up and starts sexually harassing him/her, and this is the message of transphobia....

But here's the thing....she was being followed by a person with a film camera. At 3:06 the camera operator/director Alli Coates is walking beside her, then at 3:11, the camera is in front of her.

That means the camera operator/director directed her to stop walking, then walked in front to get the full shot and then directed her to walk again, thereby having a match cut from shot to shot.

And then all of these people make no mention of the fact that a camera operator/director is giving directions...

ALL of these people had to sign a release to even be on camera in the first place. Legally, the director had to have them sign talent release forms, otherwise their faces would have been blocked.

I am sure that some of them weren't aware, but the fact there were minors filmed in it...Alli Coates didn't do a good job as director or producer. Legally, now everyone of those people have the right to sue, unless they signed a talent release. Not only that, unless there were location releases from the businesses, they could sue as well.

She is very close to performing sexual acts in public. And no one mentions the camera operator directing her.

And that is from this published film reviewer.
edit on 4/30/2015 by WarminIndy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   

For someone who doesn't watch movies you sure have a mouth full when it comes to criticizing them. Being that everything you've been trying to say about this short film has been completely wrong I'd say you might want to start watching a few so you know what you're talking about.

Besides spending all that time critiquing the crude quality of how it was done I think the point behind this thread was to bring attention to the content, not the production. You may not realize that beyond the production value of a film there is sometimes a message it's trying to bring across to the audience as well.

BTW, when it comes to you're IQ dropping from watching movies I'd say you're really worried about nothing.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:13 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

For someone who doesn't watch movies you sure have a mouth full when it comes to criticizing them. Being that everything you've been trying to say about this short film has been completely wrong I'd say you might want to start watching a few so you know what you're talking about.

Besides spending all that time critiquing the crude quality of how it was done I think the point behind this thread was to bring attention to the content, not the production. You may not realize that beyond the production value of a film there is sometimes a message it's trying to bring across to the audience as well.

BTW, when it comes to you're IQ dropping from watching movies I'd say you're really worried about nothing.

Did I say I never watched movies? I watch films. I am a film reviewer, not a movie reviewer.

The content? Please tell me, what is the content? A social experiment?

There are plenty of social experiment documentaries done very well. To me, it so crudely presented from the cinematography that it takes away from the message.

While you may have gotten a message from it, then perhaps you don't mind any message that is presented from any videographer who grabs a camera and says they are going to film social commentary. Even Jack Ass was social commentary, as well as Bum Fights.

The only message I got is that Alli Coates wanted to see what people would do if a blonde model in a mask walked down the streets of Myrtle Beach while almost simulating sex acts in public, in front of children. Now if you think that is an acceptable message, then take your children to see what you think is high art.

By the way, I have critiqued many other short films, documentaries and social experiment films and I haven't done it harshly with them, even the ones of homosexuality. Believe it or not, even Kenneth Anger's piece on Egypt was way more interesting.

All I said was that it could have been done better and the message would not have been lost in the delivery. Is that too difficult for you to accept? I don't really care that you embrace the message, that's your privilege, but I don't have to accept it because you think the rest of us should.

I can only say that it is their freedom of speech and press, even though it was very crudely done, I said nothing about them not having the right to do it. I only asked that they do it better. Is that too much to hope for?

I have used my freedom of speech and press to say that it was just not that good and I have that right to do so. And guess what else, I didn't even invoke any religious statements into my post regarding it.

I critiqued it on its merits alone. That should be enough. Why don't I just do the pro/con thing to see if it works...

Pro
Typical American city
Exposing attitudes from predominant social group

Con
Simulating sexual acts in front of children
Exposing attitudes of minority social group

Have you noticed, the predominant group was also the minority social group? What are they really saying here, that blacks pose the greatest threat because they exhibited transphobia? That young people are horrible? That white young women push other women around and white men are concerned?

What is the message? All Americans are horrible like this? Please, please tell me what you perceive the message to be. The girl that pushed her, she did it on camera. Did they sue her for assault?

I watched the whole thing, there were so many subtle messages that perhaps you missed them.

Blacks were the ones thinking she was a man.
White women were pushing her around.
Some white men were sexually harassing while some white men were concerned.

But they all seemed to know it was just a film project.In the very first minute the police were there, the lights are flashing. The same girl that pushed her is also in the very first minute. So they did all of this in front of the police?

At 2:25, some white people say "Pretentious high art".

So really, what is the message here about transphobia? That blacks are more quickly to exhibit it?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I'm the closest to a film savant on this thread. My occupation and degree allows me to critique films.

I also feel my background allows an honest critique from me but I certainly make no claim to savant status.
SAG/AFTRA, IATSE, TV producer and filmmaker, DP on features and award winning documentaries and have worked
in the industry since the early 80s as background until I got Taft-Hartlyed, then union proud, union strong!!

I find it astonishing that someone can call themselves a filmmaker because they own a dslr or gopro, shoot some footage,
post it to youtube and expect everyone to call it avantgarde and art. I think "American Refelexxx" fits in that catagory.
Conceptually it could have worked but fell short on so many levels.

And I go to the theater at least 3 times a week. SAG card has its benefits; Free movie tickets.
I used to review first run shows on ATS but have lost interest. I might start again as there are some very movie savy members and I appreciate their comments and critiques of my critiques.
edit on 30-4-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:51 PM
link   

I guess my defense of it comes from the assumption this is simply a video made by amateurs with the sole intent of uploading it on Youtube. I'm not watching this with the expectation of watching a professional video. Under those standards, I found this video to be very telling and moving.

If this is, in fact, made by "professionals", I might have to agree with you on some of your points. I just wasn't aware it was anything more than a couple of artists showing a rather dark side of strangers.

I guess I was just irritated that the message was ignored because of the poor production. I still think Robocop is one of the best films ever made so I'm probably not the go-to person to analyze film talent, hah!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
It's a little funny, a little annoying, and a little embarrassing how quite a few people seemed to have missed the point of this. And the opinions of our so called resident film experts? Well, I found them to be laughable, pretentious, and... kinda sad.

Some people even called this fake, which I find very hard to believe. You think all those people were actors??? How did they keep all the non actors off camera on a busy area with such an active nightlife? And the part where she was pushed? That was planned? And the people throwing things and dumping water on her? Sure it could've been fake... but there's no need to. People in some areas are disgusting enough all on their own. No need to pay them or get them to volunteer or learn a script...

Anyway I agree with the op, this is just disturbing.

And the snobby comments about "cheesy transitioning" and whatnot... You totally missed the point. Much like the mask's reflective surface, the low quality style of editing, while I'm sure is also partly due to lack of funds, also has, in my opinion, an artistical point to it... it's a reflection of the culture of the people being documented! *

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Wait... so the guy with the axe was "part of it" too? Wow I assumed he was just doing his own thing and happened to be there when they were recording... I guess I should check the link?

ETA

Read the link. Now I see, you are merely assuming the axe man was a part of it. Maybe you've never been to a medium or large sized city before. There are all kinds of street performers and people just goofing around and doing crazy things just for the heck of it. Just because you see a woman with a mask on, and a man holding an axe with face makeup on, both at the same time on the same street, doesn't mean they know eachother or have anything to do with one another... Sorry bud, I hope you get a chance to get out a little more in the future...

Oh the things you will see!

edit on 4/30/2015 by 3n19m470 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Yeah that annoyed me too, since I saw the low quality production value as part of the message. Something that added to, rather than took away from, the value of the "film".

These resident film pros remind me of a couple of friends I used to hang out with that would get super snobby and pretentious about their musical tastes... I'd be listening to a song I liked that I thought was pretty cool and had a neat message... but, little did I know, it was a horrible song if only I was educated enough to understand several technic musical terms... LOL...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: stosh64

So all the animals that were throwing stuff and assaulting and being verbal inbreds were 'in' on it?

It only takes a few "in" on it to cause a reaction. It's very possible people in on it instigated things.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I see alot of people here didn't bother to watch the whole vid.

Anyway, she had water thrown at her, people calling her a man, people tripping her, one lady randomly came and pushed her down causing her to fall and have a cut in the knee (see end of video for blood).

All cause she was walking!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Very sincerely im shocked none of you on ATs understood the video...
you're nitpicking about the visual quality, and totally ignore the message.
And i was thinking most of you were able to use critical thinking, but instead you just regurgitate the same speech
So many "armchair realisator" in one thread,is almost hilarious.

Your arrogance,knows no limits.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join