It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is with the recent addiction to the use of the word "thug"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:51 PM
link   
"What is with the recent addiction to the use of the word "thug"?"

The scholars define thug as a thief or criminal.

And recently, there's been many in the news.

All the way from high ranking politicians and government employees down to street criminals and everything in between.

All the same. All thugs.

*Thugs* !!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   
The word has been around ever since I can remember, but since the Ferguson riots, and now Baltimore, it's having a reincarnation as something different -- redefined, reinvented, and emerging as the racist word of the moment.

(Didn't Johnny Depp play a thug in "Cry Baby" and James Dean in one of his movies, and John Travolta in "Grease"?) That's the way I've always thought of thugs, but yeah, it's different now.

Even "he's a thug" being applied to Freddie Gray And Trayvon Martin. How can you be a thug when you've passed away?
Only description that fits Freddie Gray now is dead. A 'thug' no more. Devoid of former thugness. Previously one of the thug persuasion.

Gentlemen who are morally challenged. Perpetrators of social unrest. Citizens opposed to paying for products at CVS. People who support destruction of Fire Department Equipment. I don't know what to call them, but I don't think Thug is the best description, either.

People are calling ISIS thugs. But they are way beyond what I've considered to be thugs. I think more of a "little punk" when I think of thug. Or, on the otherhand, the mafia.

I am becoming bored with my own rambling.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
even Obama gets into the act.

President Obama calls rioters criminals and thugs
at 43 seconds....

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:59 AM
link   
a reply to: bigfatfurrytexan

Would "judicially challenged" be an appropriate replacement for thug?

I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
Saying thug...

Gives people a mental hard on.
A mindfilled semi.
A psychological erection.

If their keyboard was in their underwear they'd release all in their pants.

THUG THUG THUG THUG!!!!
Nope, no orgasm...

There goes that theory...

Dictionary.com defines Thug as "a cruel or vicious ruffian, robber, or murderer."
dictionary.reference.com...

A "ruffian" is a lawless individual.

Lawless robbing:

Throwing bricks and rocks at police:

Here's another time when "thug" was used quite a bit and, coincidentally, at that same time you could use the n-word in many parts of America without reprisal... so it sure wasn't being used as a substitute for any sort of racism. Thug was used because it was accurate... just as it's accurate in many cases today.

IF somebody has a problem being called a thug, don't act like one. VERY easy solution, really.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I can't...it's too sticky.

Okay, that's just gross now.

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   
i will go back and read all posts but i just wanted to say that as far as the first page goes it seems people think the work thug is another N word and/or meant for black people.

i suppose it is used for black people but not exclusively.

it depends on what youre talking about.

all kinds of white people(thugs) have their motorcycles laid out 'thug style'

not mine of course. i dont play that

we have all seen sons of anarchy. those are thug style bikes.
tall risers with drag bars. loud as hell pipes. dumb ass cafe fairing on the front.

thug style

all about context

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TsukiLunar
a reply to: thesaneone

That's what's so great about it! Black people is not the official definition, but everyone already knows what you're talking about when you say the word thug. When was the last time a racist used the word thug to describe a white person?

absolutely not true.

if i here someone say thug i dont assume they are talking about a black person. could be talking about any number of races/types(based on attitude, clothes, etc)
im not a racist person but i use the term thug to describe white people all the time.

the weather was nice this weekend so i was able to get my bike out. went to the blessing of the bikes(not religious at all) and went to a little mini type rally.
there were lots of thugs there. not a single black person though

here is a thug on a thug style bike......get it now?

edit on 5-5-2015 by Mugly because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join