It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Is a Form of Psychological Warfare!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The color red is in prevalent use in our society.Today, many corporations use the color red in order to raise your metabolism making you hungry! Overeating obviously has many detrimental health effects.The number one cause of death in the United States is Heart Disease.You are at higher risk for Heart Disease if you are overweight or obese.

High blood pressure
High blood cholesterol
Diabetes and prediabetes
Smoking
Being overweight or obese
Being physically inactive
Having a family history of early heart disease
Having a history of preeclampsia during pregnancy
Unhealthy diet

www.nhlbi.nih.gov...

As you can see high blood pressure and being overweight or obese are some of the major risk factors.High blood pressure usually ends up causing heart disease because the arteries get scarred from high blood pressure:

www.google.com...

A heart attack is the result of a blocked blood supply to the heart muscle tissue. This can happen when the arteries to the heart become thicker and harder from a buildup of plaque. High blood pressure causes scarred arteries that fill up with plaque and become more prone to blood clots.

Heart Disease is the number one killer in the United States!

Heart disease is the leading cause of death in the US with around 596,577 deaths each year. Coronary heart disease costs the US $108.9 billion each year and is the most common type of heart disease

www.google.com...

Now read how red causes you to increase your metabolism AND your blood pressure!

Red increases the pulse and heart rate, and raises your blood pressure. It increases the appetite by increasing your metabolism, which is why red is such a popular color in restaurants. It is active, aggressive and outspoken. One bank found that their lines moved faster when they increased the use of red in the bank lobby, and in a study of several hundred college students, a researcher found that they responded more quickly to cues under red light than under green light.

www.psychologistworld.com...

Examples of red used in the restaurant industry:
Mcdonalds
www.google.com...

Hardees

www.google.com...

Wendys

www.google.com...=isch&q=wendys

Sonnys Barbq

www.google.com...

McDonald's fries:

www.google.com...=iWvhUfuIJk2 0_M%253A%3BrppCXJufa6Qd_M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.eonline.com%252Feol_images%252FEntire_Site%252F2013826%252Frs_560x415-130926124115-1024-mcdonalds-f ries-092613.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.eonline.com%252Fnews%252F463762%252Four-definitive-list-of-the-best-and-worst-fast-food-french-fries-burger-k ing-s-new-satisfries-not-included%3B560%3B415

Red should only be used to legitimately get our attention.Like stop signs,red lights,brake lights law enforcement and ambulances.It should not be used to increase our hunger.This is immoral and it needs to STOP. This could be a major class action lawsuit where all Americans affected by weight gain,heart disease,high blood pressure and even stroke due to overeating at these fast food restaurants should be compensated for damages.

edit on pmqupmThu, 30 Apr 2015 14:20:24 -050020u2430u by Aquariusdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Yep...I remember a long time ago reading about colors and the associated reasons they are used in signage. Red, Yellow and Green are prevalent in restaurant signage as they all relate to hunger.

I actually paint the guest bathroom walls a shade of red in any house I live in because it makes whomever is using it not want to be in there, in part due to raised levels of agitation because of color.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   
No amount of red will ever make McDonald's sound good to me lol. Interesting article OP. It's cool how something as simple as colors affects us!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: PeachesNCream
No amount of red will ever make McDonald's sound good to me lol. Interesting article OP. It's cool how something as simple as colors affects us!

Yep! McDonald is total garbage..Amazing isn't it? Corporations have known about the effects of colors on the human body for years and have used that to feed there greed..

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I like to use red in my surroundings because I tend to have low blood pressure and hypoglycemia, and be too introverted. But it doesn't effect my husband in a positive way- he needs blue around him.

McDonald's change to green was admirable... did that only happen in Europe?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluesma
I like to use red in my surroundings because I tend to have low blood pressure and hypoglycemia, and be too introverted. But it doesn't effect my husband in a positive way- he needs blue around him.

McDonald's change to green was admirable... did that only happen in Europe?

Funny I am the same way!...Here is an article on the change of logo for Mcdonalds in Europe:

www.google.com... en-strategy-extends-its-signage&ei=NHhCVe-SEomKNtrNg9gK&usg=AFQjCNHyOW0raPoKQBCENebA5WlHq1XRLg&sig2=Qnk83dP__qtozPzPk5hSNA&bvm=bv.92189499,d.eXY

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
I actually paint the guest bathroom walls a shade of red in any house I live in because it makes whomever is using it not want to be in there, in part due to raised levels of agitation because of color.

Vasa, this absolutely none of my business but I'm curious. Why do you want guests to be agitated in your bathroom and not want to be in there? Is it some kind of experiment or do they disappear in the guest bathroom for too long?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Red is the color of blood.
If there is too much red around, it means "Danger" to our primitive monkey brain.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Aquariusdude

Good thing I am colour-blind.

Seriously though: sometimes red can be a mark of warmth, a mark of security. For instance, in the cold north, fire is still necessary for survival.

Also, to many such as me, vibrant red is sometimes very attractive...

...and even apetizing:

I guess it all depends if you are a hummingbird upon the context, the situation.

edit on 30-4-2015 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:45 PM
link   

I like red. I find it comforting. Comforting enough that deep red is the primary palate in my bedroom. I know that I'm weird in this preference but both my children have it too. My husband thinks we are all secretly vampires.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: redhorse

I like red. I find it comforting. Comforting enough that deep red is the primary palate in my bedroom. I know that I'm weird in this preference but both my children have it too. My husband thinks we are all secretly vampires.

He He maybe you all are

edit on pmqupmThu, 30 Apr 2015 14:49:21 -050049u2130u by Aquariusdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: swanne

Good thing I am colour-blind.

Seriously though: sometimes red can be a mark of warmth, a mark of security. For instance, in the cold north, fire is still necessary for survival.

Also, to many such as me, vibrant red is sometimes very attractive...

...and even apetizing:

I guess it all depends if you are a hummingbird upon the context, the situation.

I think that's not true..Red usually increases blood pressure and metabolism which is a sign that the body is in fight or flight mode..

www.livestrong.com...

Metabolism is the process by which your body converts your caloric intake into energy. A number of factors determine your body’s calorie burn, including caloric intake, physical activity, and basic body functions such as breathing, circulating blood and cell repair and regeneration. Stress caused by anything from a lack of sleep to a serious threat may affect the rate of your metabolism.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:53 PM
link   
I find it interesting that you would post pictures of red knowing it will result in an increase in blood pressure for many people..
edit on pmqupmThu, 30 Apr 2015 14:58:26 -050058u2630u by Aquariusdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aquariusdude

I think that's not true..Red usually increases blood pressure and metabolism which is a sign that the body is in fight or flight mode..

Respectfully, I sincerely believe that the true mechanism behind stress is just a tad more complex than "seeing red = stress".

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I was told the reason Subway uses the color yellow so intensely in its locations was to make people uncomfortable.

If your goal is to sell as many sandwiches as possible, you don't want people loitering around, hogging up all the tables.

I wonder if that's true?
edit on 30-4-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I find pink & orange to be obnoxious, personally, but have no problem with reds, much less anything else. Sometimes I think people try a little too hard to validate their "I hate that color!!!" stance.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Actually I took marketing in school for a time.
Red is only agitating in certain uses, it is highly dependent upon it's context. There is more science behind this than what google shows.
Red also promotes sexual interest when used in certain context- think 1880's bordello
Red is also used as a stimuli in specific ways to make people shop more frantically and buy things they wouldn't normally splurge on -think TARGET stores
And businesses are often warned against using purple as it is a deeply depressing color to the psyche

The thing that is missed in the op here is context of the subject.

Yellow based reds are very influential on men for instance as it stimulates a subconscious part of the brain that is found to invoke happy childhood memories (some even link it to playing with red fire trucks as a child)
Blue based reds have the opposite effect on men altogether
Funny thing is most women prefer blue based reds in makeup and other clothing choices

You'll notice when a woman wears a yellow based red, no matter what she's wearing or how good or even bad she looks in it, more men take notice and more than usual they will find themselves looking twice or more
(think red lingerie- a long standing best selling color in adult clothing for a reason)
Test this theory next time you are out and about- find a woman wearing a yellow based red and watch the reactions she gets then find a woman wearing blue based reds and you'll notice a huge decrease in how many men pay attention to her even if the women are twins

edit on 30-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aquariusdude
This is immoral and it needs to STOP. This could be a major class action lawsuit where all Americans affected by weight gain,heart disease,high blood pressure and even stroke due to overeating at these fast food restaurants should be compensated for damages.

Nonsense. Who would want to live in a society so litigious it controls what colors you can use in a restaurant.

An adult gets overweight it's all on them and if their such lousy parents they don't control their kids diets, its the parents fault, so maybe they should be sued instead. Whatever happened to personal responsibility? Are people so weak minded now they blame things like the color of McDonald's for their own failures?

"Class action lawsuit" sounds more like trying to get something for nothing than actually trying to help society. I'm sure a judge would waste no time at all running off an attorney crooked/dumb enough to file such a suit.

What next? Blue makes me sleepy, so sue car companies who sell cars with blue interiors, because I'm foolish enough to drive without enough sleep and the interior might make me nod off?

People don't like red, go elsewhere. People don't want to be overweight, eat less and exorcize more. The blame game is ridiculous.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   
ATS just jumped the shark.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

Interesting. Our Victorian is painted in period colors both interior and exterior and the dining room is red which was a typical color for that room in the 1800's. It is supposed to inspire conversation.

I can say that there is always a good deal of conversation at the dinner table when we have company but it could be the wine just as much as the paint.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join