It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Mom Sues Wal-Mart Over Daughters Shotgun Suicide

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:52 PM
link   
A mother, whos manic-depressive and schizophrenic daughter purchased a shotgun at a local Wal-Mart and used it to commit suicide is suing the retailer. The 24 year old killed herself in 2003. The suicide came on the heels of her attacking another customer in the store for which she was arrested. An additional element in the case is the fact that her prescription for anti-psychotic medication was filled at the pharmacy in the store. Her mother claims that the employees of the store should have known based on her history as well as her prescription that they should have not sold her the gun.

www.cnn.com
DALLAS, Texas (AP) -- Near the end of her short life, Shayla Stewart, a diagnosed manic-depressive and schizophrenic, assaulted police officers and was arrested for attacking a fellow customer at a Denton Wal-Mart where she had a prescription for anti-psychotic medication.

Given all those signs, her parents say, another Wal-Mart just seven miles away should have never sold her the shotgun she used to kill herself at age 24 in 2003.

Her mother, Lavern Bracy, is suing the world's biggest store chain for $25 million, saying clerks should have known about her daughter's illness or done more to find out.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Thank god that we live in a world where the lawyers have freed us of any element of personal responsibility. For one it would have been illegal for the gun department to call over to the pharmacy and ask if she is on ANY medication, be it Tagamet or Lithium. Nor did she have a criminal record. The whole episode is a tragic on, but hardly the fault of Wal-Mart. The also did do a FBI background check on her and it came up clean. Where is the fault?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This litigous society in America amazes me.
She was an adult.
She purchased a weapon.
She killed HERSELF.
Tell me how in ANY WAY this is ANYONES fault but her own?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I hate to say it, but Wal-Mart is not at fault.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
If someone is determined to kill themself, they will do it by any means necessary. Putting blame on the retailer is putting off the responsibility. Maybe the mother should have done more than medicate her daughter...

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I can clearly see a fault here in our system that should be resolved...

Why are people with known psychological disorders allowed to purchase weapons?

Of course what she chose to do with the gun is her own responsibility, and I agree that it is absurd to blame a business for doing their business, but does this not raise a more important issue that is underneath the fabric of this idiotic lawsuit?

Gun-lovers are quick to proclaim that responsibility is the only thing that matters....then issues like this, and countless others (recently...Dimebag) pop up and prove that GUNS require not just responsibility, but CONTROL....

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
I can clearly see a fault here in our system that should be resolved...

Why are people with known psychological disorders allowed to purchase weapons?

If she would have purchased a Ford Explorer and drove it off a cliff, or left it running in a closed garage, would her parents be suing Ford right now?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Right, but lets carry that one abit:

What about cars? You can kill yourslef with CO.
Elevators? You can use it to get to the top of a building and jump
OTC Medications: Tylenol can kill pretty easily if you take enough

Can we put background checks on the purchases of those WMD?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wal-Mart is obviously not at blame here (although how is a person with mental illness allowed to buy a gun?) but the mother has just lost her daughter so it's obviously devastating. Likely she just can't make sense of what has happened and needs to channel that anger somewhere...to blame someone/something...and that someone/something is Wal-Mart. I really can't see her winning but even if she did, I doubt it'd take the pain away...it's just sad really.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:25 PM
link   
EnronOutrunHomerun - I blame NO ONE but theperson who does the deed. I can go to Walmart and buy, Drano, and Darts, and aspirin. However I do not plan to do anything with Draino other than unclog my sinks, nor do I plan to throw darts off of rooftops at passers by. I take aspirin when i have aheadache
This young woman was WRONG!
No if, ands or buts. If she didn't do it with a shotgun, then she woiuld have sat in her running car in a closed garage, maybe strung herself up in her backyard in a tall tree, maybe OD'd on aspirin.

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
If she would have purchased a Ford Explorer and drove it off a cliff, or left it running in a closed garage, would her parents be suing Ford right now?

Amen to that, I mean just look around your house? How many common chemicals can kill? etc etc. As the article said:

Wal Mart could not check the pharmacy records (Illegal since 1996) and no doubt now under HIPPA

They ran a FBI background check, what more do people want here? Its tragic, but where exactly was the family? If she had failed to get a shotgun, she may have saught out an alternative mean, like a train etc.

Should Courtney love sue the store that sold Kurt the shotgun? No

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:36 PM
link   
FredT & Carseller4: You guys think alike! That was pretty funny how you both mentioned cars....

At any rate....of course I can buy a car and kill myself or someone else with it - or both - same with a gun....the difference between a car, elevator, heck...a friggin pencil, is that a gun is designed with sole intent of KILLING....a car is meant to drive...an elevator is what I take when I'm lazy....

If its legal to sell a device that is meant to kill to people who are not fully functional in society, then what difference does it make if they can kill themselves with a car, something that serves a totally different purpose? Clearly attention is not being focused on any of these issues....

I can kill myself by drinking too much water too....But I'm not saying we should have water control

[edit on 12/21/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by stephenkingfan1
EnronOutrunHomerun - I blame NO ONE but theperson who does the deed. I can go to Walmart and buy, Drano, and Darts, and aspirin. However I do not plan to do anything with Draino other than unclog my sinks, nor do I plan to throw darts off of rooftops at passers by. I take aspirin when i have aheadache
This young woman was WRONG!
No if, ands or buts. If she didn't do it with a shotgun, then she woiuld have sat in her running car in a closed garage, maybe strung herself up in her backyard in a tall tree, maybe OD'd on aspirin.

Maybe you're missing my point, or I didn't make it clear enough....

A...This woman was not all there - who cares what the problem was or what she was taking - she needed help and she had it, but anytime someone considers suicide usually they're not thinking 100%....

B...Given the above - why should she or anyone in her state of mind be allowed to purchase a weapon?

C....You want to buy a gun to kill yourself, fine.......I'm not against that....But when you have a medically diagnosed condition, it seems to me that a few things are going on:

** You're seeking medical help - so you want to change
** You're in need of control....So what a great help it is to know that your progress can be halted in five seconds by not having a law that prohibits certain people from purchasing weapons....Those who are "at risk"....

Maybe everyone else is cold-hearted enough to wish that everyone who wants to die would just hurry up and kill themselves, but I not only think suicide prevention is possible, but I've seen it happen - Just like rehab, cutting the supply to those at risk is the first step.....

Maybe I'm sounding a bit hypocritical there, and perhaps something that would be near impossible to enforce....but if you seek help for your problems before you act out your desires, I see that as a cry for help and a clear sign that you need control....Maybe that's the time when parents should become involved or an institution should take you in, but sometimes those options aren't always available....Sometimes I guess the best option is your local Wal-Mart....

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   

I can kill myself by drinking too much water too....But I'm not saying we should have water control

Nah only if you have poor kidney function. We had a slow 24 hour shift one night (Fogged in and no beds in house) and we used our ISTAT machine (portable blood gas and electrolyte analyzer) to track my electrolytes. I consumed, Im not kidding 5 gallons of water over a 3 hour period and my lytes did not budge. Peed alot but survived cause I got good kidneys.

But what I am getting at at any rate is that guns are villified here when the list of items she could have killed herself with at Wal Mart is never mentioned. That Sams Choice Cola alone has to have killed eh?

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Nah only if you have poor kidney function. We had a slow 24 hour shift one night (Fogged in and no beds in house) and we used our ISTAT machine (portable blood gas and electrolyte analyzer) to track my electrolytes. I consumed, Im not kidding 5 gallons of water over a 3 hour period and my lytes did not budge. Peed alot but survived cause I got good kidneys.

But what I am getting at at any rate is that guns are villified here when the list of items she could have killed herself with at Wal Mart is never mentioned. That Sams Choice Cola alone has to have killed eh?

lmao....5 gallons? Wow...In the interest of science, eh?

Yeah - How about Sam's Diet Peach seltzer water?!

I know what ya mean....She could have bought a CD and opened and closed the case over her wrists until she severed her artery...lol....Then they'd be suing the music industry....Eimnem's CD killed my daughter!

Too bad CDs aren't purposefully made to blow your head clean off...whether they can or not is something I've yet to see, but no doubt, before I turn 50 it'll happen somewhere someday lol

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:13 PM
link   
The mother that is trying to sue Wal-Mart for her daughter taking her own life is not much of a mother trying to get "blood-money" from a tragedy that she may have been a part in causing!

You'll never know!

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 10:38 PM
link   
The mother probably figures its worth a shot since others seem to succeed in frivolous law suits. It depends who the lawyer is. Its a lawyers job to tell you whether you have a rats chance in hell in winning- the lawyer i worked for would have never taken the case.

Good luck to her-maybe thinking she'll get money$ will make her cope better with her loss

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:13 AM
link   
Guns are only meant to kill huh? Hmmm my target rifles have never killed a thing. Better ban those Javeline, Discus and shotput events at the Olympics, those weapons were designed with killing in mind. Or control then, discus have to be kept in a safe under armed guard in case some tries to use hem in a mindless attack. Sports stores better control who they sell them to........Gimme a break

When will anti gunners wake up!

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Actually, folks, the gun retailers are supposed to do a background check. If a person has a history of psychiatric illness or a prison record, they are NOT supposed to sell firearms to them.

(unless they repealed that law...)

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
The mother probably figures its worth a shot since others seem to succeed in frivolous law suits. It depends who the lawyer is. Its a lawyers job to tell you whether you have a rats chance in hell in winning- the lawyer i worked for would have never taken the case.

Good luck to her-maybe thinking she'll get money$ will make her cope better with her loss

Truth is the mother is probably suing on the belief that wallmart will want to settle and offer her a couple million, as opposed to going through the court tango. The loss of a life is a horrible thing ,but the correct thing would be to try and pass a law that would enable people with known mental conditions or that are on heavy medications to be known to all gun dealers, that way they wouldn't sell to them. that would at least prevent it from happening to somebody else. but that's just me.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
The mother obviously has control issues. No parent wants their kids to off themselves, but I would ask the mother first why she blames Wal-Mart before herself in not knowing her childs intentions. Is she thinking that a store should have the wherewithalls to know more of what is going on than her own mother? Why doesn't she just admit that she is just blaming someone else before she will admit that she has total lack of contact with her daughters thoughts and psyche? I oughta slap her.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join