It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Prisoner in van said Freddie Gray was ‘trying to injure himself,’ document says

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I saw the man being dragged to the wagon. But I was thinking of this, what if the police officers told the other prisoner to say nothing to cover their story. Why did it take 48 minutes to arrived at the station? Shouldn't he have been secured before they took off? We will have to wait until the state's investigation to conclude I guess....

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: sylent6
I saw the man being dragged to the wagon. But I was thinking of this, what if the police officers told the other prisoner to say nothing to cover their story. Why did it take 48 minutes to arrived at the station? Shouldn't he have been secured before they took off? We will have to wait until the state's investigation to conclude I guess....

They had to stop to shackle his feet because he was being unruly in the back. They also had to stop to pick up the other inmate that was in the van.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Thank you sir.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: windword

Well, for one, just the simple acting of fleeing from an officer after a command is given to stopis a crime, so there's that. But from what I understand, he was approached by officers and took off--I have no verification that commands to stop were given, but I'd pretty ignorant to assume that they weren't.

But it appears that he was arrested on an illegal-knife possession charge because he had a spring-assisted pocket knife (the exact same type that is in my pocket as I typed this, mechanically speaking). But, the problem with Baltimore (and, apparently, New York) is that the law is super ambiguous in its language, making spring-assisted knives illegal.

The problem here is not why the officers arrested him--the combination of the two things above support that action--but that antiquated laws like this are still on the books, giving some of the most ridiculous reasons to arrest people merit in the legal system. It would seem that, without that law, he'd still be (more than likely) alive today.

But, just because I don't like the law doesn't mean that it was not an appropriate justification for his arrest...it's still the law of Maryland. I think it needs changed and updated, but that hasn't happened.
edit on 30-4-2015 by SlapMonkey because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey

I really don't understand the knife laws. Aren't knives part of our 2nd amendment? Where's the NKA when ya need 'em, eh?Besides self defense, there's lots of purposes for knives. I carried a (heavy) Swiss Army knife on my key chain for years!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Ironhawke

Also...wonder if 'the prisoner' in the article was charged or released, and if released, was it after he made his 'observations' known...hmmmm?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:24 PM
link   

The night was found after he was tackle and search for running, the reason for running is not clear I don't know if he had any outstanding warrants.

The knife was found to be within the legal status.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

The only things we know for a fact are (A) a criminal with a long history of arrests was dealing drugs, (B) got caught and taken into police custody, and then (C) he died from a spinal chord injury.

Why was he arrested in the first place? What did he get caught doing? If he was was in possession of drugs, we would have heard about it. He had a knife, but they only found it after he was apprehended, and all reports confirm that he never brandished it.

So what were the charges that justified his arrest in the first place?

You are speculating about what happened to him trying to blame the cops but you don't know why he was arrested? This only shows your ignorance and complete contempt for the truth, you are to busty trying to make cops out to be murderers.

He was taken into custody because when he saw two bike cops that were just passing through he decided they were after him and began running. When he was caught, it was discovered he had an illegal switchblade. Given his prior record, he was taken into custody.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Sorry the knife my spell check is playing games on me.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Did this guy plea bargin?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sounds like the "fell down the stairs" defense. Clearly this man did it to himself in order to make the police look bad. All LEO's are completely upstanding people who would never beat a man to death to deliver street justice to those they think are guilty, saving the courtroom from a trial that might let him off.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

You are speculating about what happened to him trying to blame the cops but you don't know why he was arrested?

I'm asking the same question that the journalists from the mainstream media were asking. What were the charges? The answer only came this morning, that Gray was arrested because of his knife.

This only shows your ignorance and complete contempt for the truth, you are to busty trying to make cops out to be murderers.

What truth? We get, from the police, coerced testimony, planted evidence and contrived police reports, then they try to tell us the Freddie Gray did this to himself!???

He was taken into custody because when he saw two bike cops that were just passing through he decided they were after him and began running. When he was caught, it was discovered he had an illegal switchblade. Given his prior record, he was taken into custody.

Says the bike cops. Maybe they told him that if they ever saw him around there they'd kick is ass!! Maybe that's why he ran. He was't in possession of drugs. What crime was he committing? They didn't know he had the knife until AFTER he was arrested. Some people have reason to fear the cops that doesn't have to anything to do with whatever they happen to be doing at the moment.

The hood isn't a prison yard! AND.....It wasn't a switch blade. It was a gravity-assisted folding blade. Stupid wrong law, outlawing simple knifes for protection or cutting up an apple. Stupid laws criminalizing a plant.

edit on 30-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword

You are speculating about what happened to him trying to blame the cops but you don't know why he was arrested?

I'm asking the same question that the journalists from the mainstream media were asking. What were the charges? The answer only came this morning, that Gray was arrested because of his knife.

This only shows your ignorance and complete contempt for the truth, you are to busty trying to make cops out to be murderers.

What truth? We get, from the police, coerced testimony, planted evidence and contrived police reports, then they try to tell us the Freddie Gray did this to himself!???

Says the bike cops. Maybe they told him that if they ever saw him around there they'd kick is ass!! Maybe that's why he ran. He was't in possession of drugs. What crime was he committing? They didn't know he had the knife until AFTER he was arrested. Some people have reason to fear the cops that doesn't have to anything to do with whatever they happen to be doing at the moment.

The hood isn't a prison yard! AND.....It wasn't a switch blade. It was a gravity-assisted folding blade. Stupid wrong law, outlawing simple knifes for protection or cutting up an apple. Stupid laws criminalizing a plant.

This came out several days ago, not just yesterday. Maybe you were to busy finding police brutality stories to jerk off to to see and overlooked it. Don't blame the cops for enforcing the law, I'm sure they think a bunch of s***that is illegal is stupid, it's still their job to enforce the law.

You are trying to make your story on a whole hell of a lot of your personal beliefs about what might have happened.

Maybe they told him that if they ever saw him around there they'd kick is ass!! Maybe that's why he ran. He was't in possession of drugs. What crime was he committing? They didn't know he had the knife until AFTER he was arrested.

Or maybe they told him that if he went three months without getting arrested for the umpteenth time they'd buy him a beer. That is about as likely as what you are saying here.

And you are right, he wasn't in possession of drugs, the Police have chase only after he saw them and began running. I'm willing to bet if he had kept walking and didn't look suspicious they would have rode on by. If the cops did stop him without probable cause the person that recorded them tossing him in the patty wagon would have said "they stopped him for no reason" and we'd have a whole nother # storm dealing with profiling. No one has come forward saying he was stopped for no reason. This entire situation came from him deciding to run over nothing. Baltimore is a minority majority police department in a minority majority town with a minority mayor and minority police commissioner. If you think that he was racially profiled, all logic nd reason is lost with you and I won't waste anymore pixels trying to change your mind. It's astonishing how willfully ignorant and completely unreasonable some people can be when it comes to law and politics.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   
The Detroit police are skilled at diverting blame as they have probably had to deal with a lot of issues based on their brutal and corrupt approach. I think the feds need to get involved in restructuring the police in that city as they have been out of control for a very long time, even had a bad rep in the 60's.
a reply to: real_one

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   

This came out several days ago, not just yesterday.

Well, alert the media, because they were, as were affected lawyers, asking the same questions as me until THIS MORNING, when the police report was partially released, along with FOIA documents, and the charges were officially announced.

Police: Freddie Gray arrested for possession of switchblade
04/30/15 01:00 PM

And you are right, he wasn't in possession of drugs, the Police have chase only after he saw them and began running. I'm willing to bet if he had kept walking and didn't look suspicious they would have rode on by.

Now whose circle jerking around with useless speculation?

This entire situation came from him deciding to run over nothing.

Nope. I it all started with cops believing that they are judge, jury and executioner.

The cops F@#ked up......Mkay?

edit on 30-4-2015 by windword because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
It is interesting how many are taking the prisoner's testimony as accurate, when I know that if that prisoners went on the record saying he saw Freddie Gray being beat by cops, they would instantly discount that testimony as just some thug who is angry at the authorities.

No one here knows what really happened.

Furthermore, these riots and this unrest is NOT about just one person. It is about a culture of police brutality and abuse of power that exists and it is unfortunate that instead of peaceful protest so many choose to riot and cause destruction, regardless if provocateurs are involved.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I have seen this a hundred times personally in person myself and watched it happen to friends. he was arrested for being black on a weekday. It is an unwritten law, and is enforced daily everywhere. Anyone who does not have dark skin will never understand.

I have been pulled over as a teenager with a group of friends on our way to a party. We were all spanish, but one of friends was a dark skinned Cuban. In fact he was actually the most well mannered, well behaved, and academically bright of this group of friends that day. He was quiet in the back of the car not saying a word minding his own. He was the only one asked to get out of the car, and searched repeatedly. We were the ones yelling why on Earth was he being searched when he is not even driving or the one that ran a stop sign. It made no sense. Except, it makes sense because he was guilty of being a dark skinned person in America that night. Thankfully that was the early 2000's and the police were not hyped hostile as they are even more so now. I have no doubt that this scenario today produces more violent outcomes with bs charges.

Also, I have been in the back of those police vans a handful of times, most recently in 2011. They are very crammed. They stick 4-6 people on each side and does not leave until it is full. So sometimes you can be sitting in the van for hours before they even take you to booking. There is no way cops could have beat him inside of the van, especially if he was uninjured and without shackles. It just nearly impossible due the physical space limitations inside.

Fact is, being dark skinned in America is guaranteed to increase the chance you are killed or maimed by the police, even when you are guilty of NOTHING!!!!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: marg6043

The night was found after he was tackle and search for running, the reason for running is not clear I don't know if he had any outstanding warrants.

The knife was found to be within the legal status.

He had a criminal record which included drug possession and distribution.

DailyClash website -
FREDDIE GRAY’S ARREST RECORD: Here’s The Rap Sheet Of The Dude They’re Destroying Baltimore Over - Posted on April 30, 2015

Heavy website - Freddie Gray: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know - information also comes from this site

•March 20, 2015: Possession of a Controlled Dangerous Substance
•March 13, 2015: Malicious destruction of property, second-degree assault
•January 20, 2015: Fourth-degree burglary, trespassing
•January 14, 2015: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute
•December 31, 2014: Possession of narcotics with intent to distribute
•December 14, 2014: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance
•August 31, 2014: Illegal gambling, trespassing
•January 25, 2014: Possession of marijuana
•September 28, 2013: Distribution of narcotics, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, second-degree assault, second-degree escape
•April 13, 2012: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, violation of probation
•July 16, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession with intent to distribute
•March 28, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
•March 14, 2008: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to manufacture and distribute
•February 11, 2008: Unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance, possession of a controlled dangerous substance
•August 29, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, violation of probation
•August 28, 2007: Possession of marijuana
•August 23, 2007: False statement to a peace officer, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance
•July 16, 2007: Possession of a controlled dangerous substance with intent to distribute, unlawful possession of a controlled dangerous substance (2 counts)

The criminal history alone is enough for law enforcement to be able to make contact with the guy to make sure he is not breaking the law with drugs/distribution. If he is on ANY type of parole/probation then there can be reduced rights when it comes to law enforcement contact and searches.

The assault charges also would allow for heightened officer safety to ensure no weapons are present (immediate terry frisk). He had an illegal knife on him, which may have been the reason he decided to run.
edit on 1-5-2015 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Might the police transport vehicle have a dash board camera ? If it does than we could see if the officer drove recklessly while he was in the back of the vehicle, causing the injuries. ?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

The knife was declared legal.
One of the charges is unlawful arrest, because they had no reason to arrest him.

And about that rap sheet..... How many convictions were there?
edit on bu312015-05-01T18:37:16-05:0006America/ChicagoFri, 01 May 2015 18:37:16 -05006u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join