It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

seeking off grid community on or near west coast

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   
My hubby and I are quite handy, He is an electrician and mechanic with a background in construction. I also have a construction/mechanical background and boast pretty decent farming skills. We are seeking a nearby off grid co op or community to join for the foreseeable future.
I am also interested in earthship communities but know very little about it as of yet.

Anyone know of any on or near the west coast?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015

You just told 300,000 ATS members and afew million readers you want go off grid. That many people knowing that....now you really cant get too far off grid.....all of us...and the gov....knows your intent.

You needed to not go public like you did here....youll get off dependency of services etc....but now will never be completely off.....

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hey I'm in Santa Barbara and I'm in!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015

Greetings ! I am on the west coast SoCal Area , I have been trying to get off the grid for some time now ,Unfortunately I have bills to pay ....for now ! My dream is to build a cobb house company and get the heck out of CA ! as far North as I can get !

I don't know of any Community's down here in CA ,But I am sure a quick google search might reveal something.

Let me know if you find anything good !

Good Luck !

Kap

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   
a reply to: mysterioustranger

considering the only true off grid is to never have been issued a birth certificate or social security number in the first place nor ever going to any accredited schools and never earning any degrees and never having paid any taxes would be the only true way to be completely off grid I guess none of us will ever really achieve true off grid living will we?

And lest we forget the amount of city cams and traffic cams these days between the gas station and the coffee shop number in the hundreds and the data pooling happening at our grocery stores and our freeways and facial recognition the only way to never be on grid is to not have a face, never visit a city nor even unknowingly pass any cameras and never have any human contact of any sort.

seriously I doubt the gov't cares about little ole me. I am SO NOT COOL ENOUGH to waste resources on coming after me.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Kapusta

Thanks Kap!

and yes I have found one a state or so away from me that is into earthship buildings and such I am waiting to hear back from them. Still it would be nice to find something closer.
edit on 29-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:48 AM
link   
Cobb houses do great in dry desert environments,,,bad in humid environments and grow mold.

Get on Craigslist and do a search, its probably your best bet to find some folks or a community.

Create a Group, have a gathering, meet some folks...its the best way

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:11 AM
link   
I'm surprised how members are acting, last I looked its not illegal to go off grid. Now its true you will most likely never be completely off grid. The trick is to find counties that have no building or zoning codes then you have to check state level building or zoning codes. This will allow you to build basically anything you want without governmental approval or expensive inspections permits or fees.

California would be a difficult place to do this but I know there are counties in Colorado, Missouri, Arkansas, and Texas is very anti building codes but generally it needs to be in a rural area.

The off grid movement is more about the attempt to be more self sustaining, to provide your own power, water waste disposal and hopefully all the food you will ever need but even the folks living in the wilderness of Alaska goto town for supplies a few times a year.

As another poster stated there are communities already set up you just google the state you would like to try, if that doesn't work generally speaking if you find a area where you could go off grid there are most likely already like minded souls already there.

Desert climates are probably the easiest or you have the most options in building construction and using ponds and swales will help you turn a desert property into a oasis. google earth ships then google Geof Lawton

Geof Lawton

I wanna build a organic multi use farm someday and some parts of it will be off grid. Best thing to do is use the internet to study and youtube there is a wealth of information out there.

Good luck

edit on 30-4-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-4-2015 by LDragonFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:39 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

Thank you that was a well thought out and nice response. I will look into that.

I suppose I was hoping that there might be like minded people nearby me that might be on here as well. oh well had to ask

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
DragonFire..your plans sound exactly like my dreams!
Oregon is gorgeous but I am nowehere near there and have zero experience living in that climate. I love MO as well . I am in Texas.
I cant give any better advice thisisfun, I think you will find what you seek as you are learning and will get closer to realizing your dreams as it unfolds. Best of luck to us all!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   
When I was young, (long time ago), I always dreamt of going off grid. Alas, it never panned out and now I'm too old and enjoying my grandkids too much to move. I always wanted to live in the foothills of the Bitterroot Mountains in Montana.
I always found the best resources for living off grid in the Mother Earth News. If you haven't checked it out, go to their website. Chock full of ideas on alternate homes, farming, animal husbandry, etc.
Follow your dream and go for it

edit on 4/30/2015 by fltcui because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join