It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Max has bad dreams about gophers coming up from the floor.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
He is a rescue, roughly 14 yrs old and we have had him for 7yrs now. He generally chooses to sleep on the floor in the hallway more than the bed( maybe the heat cause he's furry)
At least once a day (usually several times) He will sit up and begin clawing at the carpet under him like something came up underneath and goosed him. It's adorable when it happens and it has happened so much we have coined it the gophers are getting him and we say things like. "did they find ya again buddy? those bastards we'll get 'em one of these days"
Whats even funnier is we have noticed he isn't actually awake when he's digging and won't wake up (even though he's sitting up and pawing at the floor he's clearly not there) He wakes if you say his name only, nothing else will wake him and then he wakes up, looks around as if embarrassed and lays back down with a "humph".

We live in our rv and travel for work so for a while the joke was we could just move and they(those damn invisible gophers) always find him eventually.

The best part is that our retro rv has astro turf for carpet(very comfy on feet and easy maintenance ) so now when he digs it looks like he's digging in grass.

anyone elses dogs have funny habits like my Max?
edit on 29-4-2015 by Thisisfun2015 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
My dog sits on the porch at night while I'm sleeping.
If I'm asleep she is on full guard.
Every now and then she leaves a rabbit for me.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015
Too adorable! I love to see mine dreaming. You can see the REM sleep, and their little legs chasing those squirrels! And I have one who snores. I love it when he snores. It's like a sleeping pill for me. : ) I relax, and know 'all is well'.

One night he did have a nightmare though. He was crying, and I could tell he was afraid so I called his name and woke him up. He got out of his bed and came running to mama, so I put him in bed with me and it made things all better. Maybe one of those damned gophers was trying to get mah baba boy!

Love your story, though.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:08 PM
link   

My Max hunts lizards. Everyday, rain or shine, he checks every possible hiding spot. We have 10 acres. It is his after breakfast ritual. Then, being thoroughly exhausted from sentry duty around the property, he goes into my closet, turns around a few times and sleeps for a couple hours. But he whimpers and moves his legs while in REM and I know the lizard is infiltrating his dreams!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

I loved this, thanks for sharing
I could picture it happening as I read your story.

You MUST take a video of him and share it with us. Please

It reminded me of this guy, BizKit

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:17 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I wish i could get a video of Max sleep digging, its usually over before I can reach my phone or camera- tomorrow i will keep my phone on the ready so i can try to catch it in time.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   

Thank you! I would love to see it.

Our pets are so awesome.

Their strange quirks are priceless. Thanks again for the OP Thisisfun

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   
My Parsons Russell , August , is smart . Too smart for her own good sometimes . When I first got her , I taught her the basics , sit/stay/come/lay she caught onto them so easily I taught her other stuff such as play dead/roll over/pray/shake and a few others . It was not so much for mine and others amusement but as a bonding experience as a puppy .

She(they) does everything I ask now only by hand signals and "come" is a snap of my fingers . My neighbor thinks it is amazing , I'll be in the backyard talking to him , if I want my dogs at my side I snap my fingers and point to my side , they both come running and position themselves on either side of me , if I snap and point to the house , they go wait by the door . Never trained them to do that , it just ...happened . But I digress ...

Other than the basics , I never asked her to do her tricks so they all become jumbled in her head I guess because one day I took a treat and told her to lay and then roll over , instead of rolling over she went into this act that had me in tears ... she jumped up and did two spins as if chasing her tail (never taught her that) , fell down , rolled over , put one paw over her nose (half of pray) , jumped back up did two more spins and then fell down if shot (playing dead) .

Needless to say , after that act she got her treat . Now she does that little act when they hear the treat jar lid rattle .

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:37 AM
link   
a reply to: Stonecutter45

Had to comment on this. Yes! Dogs are extremely visual. People always associate them with verbal cues, and tone of voice, but visual cues are very effective too!

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   
okay since the request for a video was made I charged up my phone and kept it handy to be ready to record when the moment arose.
Here's how its gone so far:

1) first time I missed it i was talking to hubby about his day and we got caught up in a discussion about his leg as he was injured by a hydraulic press lo and behold i turned and max was finishing his ritual and waking up to humph and lay back down

2) 2nd time I had phone right next to me, hubby was already gone to work, everyone was asleep but me so I was all ready for it and then the phone rang, by the time i heard max digging from the hallway i couldn't say hold on quick enough to catch it

3rd) I was finishing up another one of my long winded blogs when I couldn't hold it any longer and had to potty as I was exiting the bathroom max was just getting up and beginning his ritual so I grabbed my phone and the battery was dead!

This is why I don't have a career on youtube- I'm never camera ready! haha but I will get video of this darn it it will happen! Im trying folks

new topics

top topics

join