It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any vintage volkswagen fans here?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Ive owned 3 ghias
my hubby has had 3 bugs and a bus

I still want a squreback but have to wait until we get our big bus finished.

Anyone else here a classic vdub fan?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015
Pic's or it didn't happen.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
haven't figured out how to do that yet, i got it to work for my avatar but not to upload pics to comments, Ive only been on here a day so give me time, sorry.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I have a 1970 Bus. I've owned Bugs and Ghia's.

edit on 29-4-2015 by ugmold because: typo

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   
I've had a 78 and a 79 Rabbit diesel, a 74 Beetle and a 72 Transporter. I miss the sound and the smell. I've always wanted a Thing and a Ghia. My holy grail would be a Kuebelwagen. I doubt that is spelled correctly. My dad had two Baja's and about 3 parts cars. Good childhood memories of bouncing through the river beds, rolling it, pushing it back over and driving home.

Now I'm a classic Ford guy. But working on my bike is like working on a two cylinder version of the old VW 1160cc motors. Lots of valve work in the maintenance schedule. None of the crowded work space though.

Good stuff.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I love German engineering anyday

But I'm not a huge fan..

My father is currently building a Ghia from shell, I belive it to be '63. Not exactly sure, but he has come along way, from starting the project last year.

It should be on the road this summer

ETA -just double checked, it is 63, and it will be candy apple red with chrome trim.
edit on 29-4-2015 by Elementalist because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Damn VWs - Such PITA cars! But I still love them regardless

Btw..Southern Wörthersee is right around the corner, I'm stoked.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I had some '80s Audis

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Ashirah

as for them being pita cars yes i agree, my first two ghias were a dream to own, then I bought a third that i swear must not have liked me cause it never ran right no matter what i did. My hubby specializes in the vw's and it always ran great for him, he gets out and i get behind the wheel and it wouldn't run right for me ever. sometimes it would spit its parts out on the road while i drove. Lost a beauty ring once off the headlight etc but he could get in with a low tire and needing a valve adjustment and it would run tits for him go figure. They definitely are the most human (temperamental) of all cars.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I have owned a ton of them .Running a 2004 Golf right now .Back in 1969 I had 7 at one time .You could get them real cheep then .My most memorable one was a 1980's Fox Wolfsburg Edition for some reason .Oh yea ,the thing looked neat and went like crazy .I do miss the old Bug's and like another poster I would love to have a Thing or a Diesel Truck . A good friend of mine put a Corvair engine in his Bug many years ago .The thing would do wheelies and was kind of scary thinking back lol

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I was driving an '82 diesel rabbit pickup for a while, a few years back.

Great truck, but it had spent its whole life in new england and was... structurally unsound.

I still have the engine, though, partially rebuilt. That's going in a project someday.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Hold onto that motor forever Lordcomac. I regret selling mine. For such a tiny thing, it packs a punch. I once towed a 78 model Lincoln over 30 miles through the Texas hill country and still maintained 70 mph. We got some of the craziest looks from people. A two door hatchback towing a 23 foot long lead sled. I wish YouTube had been around then.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

I've got one motor halfway rebuilt, another intact but not working (have not torn it apart) and a few milk crates full of various pieces- including three of the mechanical injection pumps.
I regret selling the truck (with a running engine and a 5 speed...) but without any chance of ever getting it on the road again (state inspection scam) it was stuck. I miss it.

They run forever when taken care of, burn anything but beach sand for fuel, and don't require any electricity to run.
True story, if you bypass the fuel cutoff solenoid.

Greatest thing I ever learned about that engine- if the shutoff solenoid dies, you can't turn it off with the key.
Diesel engines WANT to run forever.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   
So funny that you mention that. Mine went nuts one day and wouldn't die, I chocked the wheels with cinder blocks, put it in fourth and was going to try to bog the engine to sleep. No dice. It pulled the chocks into the dirt, launched off them and plowed through a concrete picnic table from a standstill in fourth. When the beast becomes aware, there is little you can do to kill it. Lol. Good memories.

posted on Sep, 26 2015 @ 07:58 AM
link   
So the recent VW scandal is a goof, from the USA and German government. It is a bluff, orchestrated to make you believe, that there's is a need for cheap labor to import in Germany using migrants as a workforce. This is of course a fakery, to cover up another older fakery (The clean emission laws, and certificates) used by environmentalists, against cars and transportation in general.

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Depends on what you call vintage.

My first car ever was a 73 beetle. That's vintage for sure.

Much later, had a 92 Golf VR6... I still dream of getting one again some time. Problem is it is almost impossible to find one that has not been ruined with add-on spoilers, rims, etc.

Tom

posted on Oct, 16 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1

I have owned a ton of them .Running a 2004 Golf right now .Back in 1969 I had 7 at one time .You could get them real cheep then .My most memorable one was a 1980's Fox Wolfsburg Edition for some reason .Oh yea ,the thing looked neat and went like crazy .I do miss the old Bug's and like another poster I would love to have a Thing or a Diesel Truck . A good friend of mine put a Corvair engine in his Bug many years ago .The thing would do wheelies and was kind of scary thinking back lol

The '69 Ol Yellow, South Jersey Hit Squad...just YouTube out
"the Bug Fom Hell". Mid engined, and quite valve-overlapped
427 Chevy and a super slush box. Herbie and 190HP can bite me.
You're NOT gonna get that hundred off the dash, guaranteed.
It can't do wheelies with the DOT tires, just ain't hookin' up ROFL.

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 02:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: derfreebie
The '69 Ol Yellow, South Jersey Hit Squad...just YouTube out
"the Bug Fom Hell". Mid engined, and quite valve-overlapped
427 Chevy and a super slush box. Herbie and 190HP can bite me.
You're NOT gonna get that hundred off the dash, guaranteed.
It can't do wheelies with the DOT tires, just ain't hookin' up ROFL.

The coolest thing is the sound... The Chevy has the same "coughing" kind of sound as a Bug flat-four. The Chevy's sounding more robust certainly.

Your sitting position seems to indicate that the engine is in the front... which is kind of un-Bug-like.

Tom

posted on Oct, 18 2015 @ 08:34 PM
link   
a reply to: TomFitch

Sorry about the time lag.. I was responding to an artificial
dinner material.
I think Pudge is a mid-engine, and a shell on a gas funny car.
big difference between even a 914 transplant with 92mm
jugs (possibly 250HP) and detuned three times that in the Rat.
"A large motor in a small car makes the assembly accelerate
quickly." Popular Mechanics magazine when I was a kid.

Boy will it ever. A friend with my surname and no relation had
a forest green '72 Bug.. and a flat six Dr. Ludwig and Lucas
injection. I think at last there was a Paxton leaf blower on it.
He was easily gulping down almost-pro street Camaros; and
still had a half inch of pedal. That'll be fifty dollars, please...

EDIT:: If she was still in town at the time I would have even
traded my cousin the '72 Pinto with the Taunus 2.0 for her
'65 and thet 1800.. it was a freak of nature and got great
milage to boot. A fan with a thwarted plan.

edit on 18-10-2015 by derfreebie because: Nothing like a never was, to my shame

posted on Jul, 17 2016 @ 06:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Thisisfun2015

top topics

<<   2 >>

join