It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why did prophet Muhammed (pbuh) marry Aisha at such young age (9)?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Some Imams are just crazy...
Some scholars, mullahs & clerics too...

It doesn't surprise me that they'd believe the Persian stories about Arabian Muhammad 200 years after his death...

If it's in a Hadith, some will believe it.
That's where Islam needs reform imo.

I like you too buddy,

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

I'm not so interested in the whole hoo-ha about Jesus and Mo and would just bog the thread down if i went into my thoughts on it, just providing a historic/archaeological perspective

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

I have to agree here, in my reading into the matter the more credible sources point to Aisha actually being closer to 13 or 14.

That being said, I think anytime a man claims to represent God he is a liar and a con artist, I didn't come here to praise Caesar (PeanutButterUnderHat)...

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:56 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

(PeanutButterUnderHat)

Ahhh, now I know what it means!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Yeah I've read 14-16 even 18-19...

Deduced by using the Quran and another persons age at the time of Aishas birth.

All in all, it's a belief system either way...

I believe it's a lie, others believe it's true...
None of us can really prove anything.

I will say, there isn't many of those types honoured by the U.S. Supreme Court with a plaque & a wall carving.

Que sera sera.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
The bloke with the ridiculous red beard gave the game away when he (obviously there at the time mind you) let it out that when mohammad asked for his friend's child as a bride the guy replied, "but we are brothers - e.g. push off she's a child.

OK then life expectancy was considerably younger especially if married at around 12 and pregnant as seen on the ads on tv against child marriage which goes on today. But what red beard didn't cover was when did mohammad actually force himself onto that child - something I doubt he would have an answer for except to say miracles blah blah - none of which he can actually prove - as usual.

I understood that the koran wasn't put together until some time after mohammad's death so how come some little girl has learned all the hadiths or whatever, all well before it was written down or put into some form of recognised instruction?

Preachers whether immans rabbis or whatever love to dictate and edit what they decide the public will have to swallow. Fortunately today people are better educated and hopefully can think for themselves, which is why religion of whatever persuasion should not be taught to children before the formative years are over, otherwise they are simply brainwashed and indoctrinated.

One last comment I think a Kaffar whatever is vastly superior to anyone worshipping a paedophile and having discernment doesn't make one ignorant its the gullible who are ignorant - custom is no excuse for what is morally wrong. No apologies ever for that view.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

This is a misunderstanding of stories (hadeeths) of The Prohpet Muhammad, peace be upon him, in the book Saheeh Al Bukhari (a collection of authentic stories about the Prophet).

So what Was Ayesha's Age At Marriage to Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him)?

#First Point

Firstly, here are a few notes on history for you (that you choose to conveniently ignore):

Note: 
1. It was the custom of the Arab people to make arranged marriages of their children at any age - even new born babies - to insure tribal relations and protect social status, etc.

Note: 
2. Her parents had already offered her in marriage to someone else - before offering her in marriage to the prophet, peace be upon him.

Note: 
3. Ayesha's father (Abu Bakr) was the one offering her in marriage to his life long friend, the prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him.

Note: 
4. Islam came to correct all of the wrong things people were doing.

#Second Point

Consider the source of information about what we all know of the relationship between Aisha and Prophet Muhammad, peace be upon him - it is coming directly from Aisha herself. So let's start there:

We know that she is one of the major narrators of ahadeeth (authentic stories of the prophet, peace be upon him). she has narrated over 2,200 of these, more than many of the close companions of Muhammad, peace be upon him!

It was her parents that offered their daughter in marriage to Muhammad, peace be upon him, as was customary in their culture at that time.

However, the prophet, peace be upon him, did not accept this and they waited a few more years, before offering their daughter for marriage again. It already apparent here that they trusted the Prophet dearly as the father, Abu Bakr, was a lifeloing friend of the Prophet, hence the parents' eagerness.

From the hadeeth (story) as narrated by Aisha herself, it appears she was at the age of 6 when her mother came to her while she was playing outside.

Her mother took her into their home where her father, Abu Bakr, was sitting with the prophet, peace be upon him, and the offer of marriage was being discussed.

Aisha then tells us that she went back outside. This was at the age of six years old.

Cleary she was offered to him in marriage, but obviously it was not accepted until some years later, when she again narrates a similar incident and then at that time she was married to the prophet, peace be upon him.

Aisha tells us they had consumated the marriage when she was old enough and ready (and she also tells us she was very pleased about the whole entire thing).

So now, if Aisha is having no problem with any of this or her parents, why are you then complaining?

#Third Point

Next, you have to understand that Islam is all about "Rights and Limits". The Quran clarifies what everyone's rights are and what the limits are as well.

At the time of this occurance, women around the world had very little or no rights in those days and the men knew no limits in their dealings with the women.

One of the problems was that a man could marry off his daughter at any age and she could not refuse.

This was at a time when Allah revealed the verse in the fourth chapter of the Quran, entitled "The Women" to offer protection for women in these such circumstances.

Conclusion

The limitations I mentioned in the third point are outlined in the following verse of the Quran:

"O you who believe! You are forbidden to inherit women against their will."
Surah An-Nisaa' (Chapter 4:19)

Now the problem with you and others is that you wish to superimpose your own hangups and personal issues with other people (especially Muslims) supposing what they would do in similar cases is what they think everyone else would do.

Now you have learned that the girl must be old enough to have children and to be able to determine what her will is.

The prophet, peace be upon him, married her at the youngest age a girl can get married.

That is, she was old enough to be considered eligible for marriage and having enough wisdom to make such a choice even at her young age as Aisha says she returned back outside when she was first approached about it by her Parents, so she did not marry him.

Also, she was a virgin. This was to show Muslims about how to treat the young girls when they get married and not to rush into having sex with them until they are ready and fully prepared.

All of this is recorded in the stories narrated by Aisha herself in regard to the treatment that she received from the prophet, peace be upon him.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
It's a ploy to hate on Muhammad.

Truth is, no one knows if he consummated the marriage when she was 9.

Maybe he waited until she went through puberty, lol. If history is the marker, as soon as she was fit to birth a child (13-14?) he would've consummated it then.

Terrible, yet, has been happening for thousands of years with every major culture on Earth.

You know, 'arranged' marriages? It involves family lines and future family line planning.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969

All religon books are fantasy tales, im more concerned with todays pedophiles than what a man suposidly did more than a thousand years ago. Your using the bible to defend your point, which is funny, try facts not man made stories

Problem is that TODAY men in the Middle East are using this "fairy tale" as an excuse to "marry" little girls, have sex with them, and frequently destroy their internal organs because of it.

So it is not funny, it is quite serious.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: skalla
a reply to: windword

I'm not so interested in the whole hoo-ha about Jesus and Mo and would just bog the thread down if i went into my thoughts on it, just providing a historic/archaeological perspective

Yeah well, these so called Holy Scriptures, seem to take a lot of liberties with age numbers. I wonder if these numbers are more symbolic than literal. What does the number 9 symbolize, as in Aisha the 9 year old bride and Joseph the 90 year old husband?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: CirqueDeTruth

I like and respect you CharlieSpiers, and your post might have made me reevaluate my position, IF...

Imam's didn't marry off pre-pubescent children to grown men in this very day and age.

CdT
d

You have a good point. Imams today in the Middle East teach to in their Mosques that she was 6 and he had sex with her at age 9. They even quite happily recommend and perform marriages between grown men and very little girls and allow the men to have sex with the little girls. It is a common teaching among Islamic Scholars in the Middle East.

So if it is a myth, it is a dangerous myth perpetuated by Imams who teach in Mosque's.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Some Imams are just crazy...
Some scholars, mullahs & clerics too...

It doesn't surprise me that they'd believe the Persian stories about Arabian Muhammad 200 years after his death...

If it's in a Hadith, some will believe it.
That's where Islam needs reform imo.

I like you too buddy,

Sorry I jumped the gun.

You have a modern and quite logical perspective.

I apologize.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:14 PM
link   
a reply to: grandmakdw

No apology necessary.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Look, we don't know for a FACT how old Aisha was at the time of the consummation of their marriage.

We do know that she was beloved of the prophet, loved him in return, and was a great teacher in her own right.

Now we do know for a FACT priests form certain other religions molest children far younger than Aisha.

If you want to bash Islam, I'm cool with that, but none of the other major religions should get a free pass and you don't have to go back a thousand years to dust off some tired old tabloid style rumors.

How many children have contracted herpes from mouth to genital contact due to orthodox Jewish practices?
How many children have been homosexually raped by Catholic priests?
How many women have been raped and sold into slavery by Muslims?

Everyone belonging to any of these religions will quickly say " that behavior doesn't represent my religion, just those few" but not believe it when it's said by another religion.

Your patron saint should be a mirror.

edit on 29-4-2015 by abe froman because: I always proofread my posts-after I post them.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

There is absolutely no evidence Aisha was 9 either.

But that doesn't stop you and others spouting bullsh# that came about 200 years after Muhammad died.

What a funny old world.

Muhammad had wives older than himself...

Why only one of his many wives was a allegedly a child is beyond me...

Why he would not confirm to society on many other issues but child marriage was fine is beyond me...

Why these stories started circling mainly in the 1800s from Catholic source is beyond me...

/sarc

/sarc

Aaaannnddd definitely /sarc.

Hmm, so the Catholics wrote the Hadiths?

Sahih Bukhari Narrated Aisha: The Prophet engaged me when I was a girl of six (years). We went to Medina and stayed at the home of Bani-al-Harith bin Khazraj. Then I got ill and my hair fell down. Later on my hair grew (again) and my mother, Um Ruman, came to me while I was playing in a swing with some of my girl friends. She called me, and I went to her, not knowing what she wanted to do to me. She caught me by the hand and made me stand at the door of the house. I was breathless then, and when my breathing became Allright, she took some water and rubbed my face and head with it. Then she took me into the house. There in the house I saw some Ansari women who said, "Best wishes and Allah's Blessing and a good luck." Then she entrusted me to them and they prepared me (for the marriage). Unexpectedly Allah's Apostle came to me in the forenoon and my mother handed me over to him, and at that time I was a girl of nine years of age. Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234 Narrated 'Aisha: I used to play with the dolls in the presence of the Prophet, and my girl friends also used to play with me. When Allah's Apostle used to enter (my dwelling place) they used to hide themselves, but the Prophet would call them to join and play with me. (The playing with the dolls and similar images is forbidden, but it was allowed for 'Aisha at that time, as she was a little girl, not yet reached the age of puberty.) (Fateh-al-Bari page 143, Vol.13) Volume 8, Book 73, Number 151

Tell us that the Catholics wrote that. She was playing with dolls, what does that say about him? The Hadith, there it is...
Sahih Bukhari Volume 5, Book 58, Number 234

Catholic conspiracy? Yes, the second most venerated text in Islam, was written by Catholics. Uh huh.....tell us now you are going to sell us London Bridge.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Sorry, but I'm having a hard believing that Joseph was 90, in a day and age when the average life span was 40, at best! And, we're supposed believe that a 90 something year old walked, while Mary rode, all the way to Bethlehem! Yeah right! LOL

To be honest, I usually don't make that claim. I usually say he was 30 or 40. That's why when I elude to Joseph's age in this thread I just say old man.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman
Look, we don't know for a FACT how old Aisha was at the time of the consummation of their marriage.

We do know that she was beloved of the prophet, loved him in return, and was a great teacher in her own right.

Now we do know for a FACT priests form certain other religions molest children far younger than Aisha.

If you want to bash Islam, I'm cool with that, but none of the other major religions should get a free pass and you don't have to go back a thousand years to dust off some tired old tabloid style rumors.

How many children have contracted herpes from mouth to genital contact due to orthodox Jewish practices?
How many children have been homosexually raped by Catholic priests?
How many women have been raped and sold into slavery by Muslims?

Everyone belonging to any of these religions will quickly say " that behavior doesn't represent my religion, just those few" but not believe it when it's said by another religion.

Your patron saint should be a mirror.

We are talking about the man you call "The one to be emulated". Do you emulate him?

It isn't about other religions, it is about the man you are told to emulate.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: windword
Yeah well, these so called Holy Scriptures, seem to take a lot of liberties with age numbers. I wonder if these numbers are more symbolic than literal. What does the number 9 symbolize, as in Aisha the 9 year old bride and Joseph the 90 year old husband?

It only became taboo on the level that it is with the birth and creation of Western culture and modern Capitalist society. When sexuality is placed on the front page of everyone and everything, people's obsessions and desires start to affect and impact society. It's cool and hip in the west for females to look as 'attractive' as possible as young as possible (teens) and therefore men will look and find them attractive, prior to the age of 18. One could even say that men dominate all societies and therefore the moral decline of the west is promoted by average men and their sexuality. In a way, it's the mens fault for the women being so whorish with attention and sexuality.

In Islamic countries, there are 'laws' that forbid women to dress (and/or act) in a manner that would readily cause this issue among men. It's male dominated, and yet, they still think open rampant sexuality is wrong. It is applauded and sought after in the west, though.

Over here, it's normal to not only look like a slut, but to act like one too. It's rewarded by society psychologically as well as physically and even emotionally w/gobs of attention.

Over there, it's illegal to look like a slut or act like a slut in public; that rampant promiscuous behavior is subdued and the place that is left for it is in the bedroom with a spouse.

Over here, men do all types of terrible and dishonorable things to get laid repeatedly.

Over there, they marry a girl young and indoctrinate her in a way over time, and then get laid repeatedly.

The question in my mind is, which culture is technically respecting the woman more in this sense, the west or Islam? There's a major level of respect in covering the woman so other men cannot see her and fantasize or attempt to have sex with her. (or take advantage in other ways).

I guess they're trying to say, if we do this much for you, then you should live up to it. If you decide to break the rules and be promiscuous anyways, we need to kill you or jail you for the sake of the continued betterment of society. They don't want a moral decline by empowering the female socially, which has happened in the west.
(If it were to happen though, it'd be the men's fault for sinning through temptation and promoting promiscuity among their own society)

For the record I don't admire Islam and I am not a Muslim.
edit on 4/29/2015 by r0xor because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Second most venerated written by Catholics?

You're dreaming buddy.

We follow the Gospels written by Jews...
And the story of Abraham written by Jews...
& the book of Solomon...

They all follow the Quran in no particular order...

Now to your main point...

Those Hadith are nonsense from 2 centuries after Muhammad's death...
& they also have a Hadith that says she was 7 as well as 6...

What I'm saying is, these fables weren't used to discredit Muhammad until about the 1800s...
& it all stemmed from Catholic sources who used it to denounce growing Islamic sentiment...

Look it all up.
It's time served better than searching for Hadith I already know about that I don't believe in.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Your post made me question this account, so I had to actually go look it up for myself. Unfortunately, this topic is VERY much still open for debate, but I can see where you are coming from in that the people making the claims of Muhammad marrying a 9 year old come from people 200 years removed from Muhammad's life. I make similar points about the writers of the Biblical gospels writing about Jesus decades removed from his life, let alone centuries.

Here's the best link I could find that sides against this account.

Misconception: Prophet Muhammad married a 9 year old girl

It should be clearly noted that even though these articles disagree on some points, they clearly acknowledge contradictions exist with regard to the age at the time of marriage. Discrepancies are a common occurrence in oral reports from different sources, especially when recorded generations after an event. Furthermore, based on the evidence for the time, what likely compounded the confusion is that celebrating birthdays was not a common practice, thus exact ages were unlikely to be known.

It should be noted that this story is nowhere to be found in The Quran.

Interestingly, this implies that one could reach marriageable age / sexual maturity but still not have sound judgement, which is universally true and gives a possible reason why a specific age for marriage is not stated in The Quran. Based on this and other verses regarding marriage, it can be deduced that these two conditions can also be used as a guideline for when to consider marriage. The reason being, if we suppose after having reached marriageable age / sexual maturity an orphan is allowed to get married but their wealth is not given to them, this means they have been determined not to have sound judgement, yet they are being allowed to get married, which is logically inconsistent with the guidance in The Quran.

Please note, in 4:6 it also warns those entrusted with the wealth not to consume or waste it before they grow up, further reinforcing the idea that the period being referred to is when grown up. To conclusively prove this however, we can also look at other verses which discuss giving orphans the wealth owed to them [6:152, 17:34]. The Arabic word used in these verses is when they are "shudud", which means physical maturity / the period from adolescence to adulthood. Since the orphans can only receive their wealth once "shudud", and from 4:6 we know they become eligible for it after having reached marriageable age, this can only mean marriageable age begins from adolescence onwards. There is no other possibility.
This conclusion can also be verified in the story of Jospeh, who when first found in the well was a boy (Arabic: ghulam, see 12:19), then taken into care, then when he reached "shudud" (i.e. became physically mature) the female of the household tried to seduce him [12:22-23].
In addition, the usage of this word "shudud" in The Quran suggests reasonable physical strength, i.e. at least several years into adolescence [18:82, 28:14] which also agrees with most Classical Arabic dictionaries which average about from the age of 17 for the word "shudud", which also happens to coincide with when a significant number of orphans would meet the two conditions for receiving their wealth. Many countries begin to grant extra rights at the age of 16, and many give full rights at 18, so this seems fairly close to worldwide practice.

To conclude, it is proven beyond doubt by The Quran that one must be physically mature and be of sound judgement in order to get married.

edit on 29-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join