It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your knowledge of science ruin movies and tv shows?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Well, it could, if one didn't employ that oh-so-needed tactic, which I have supported for years, to better enjoy some movies:

Willing suspension of Disbelief.

Works wonders!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Ah yes, wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff!

Another one that sticks out for me was some Jason Stathan movie, might have been The Transporter 2, he's driving his car and realises theres a bomb planted underneath it. So of course the thing to do is find a ramp to get airborne with, while perfectly timing and placing himself into a barrel roll so the bomb gets knocked off by a bit of chain dangling above where he's jumped.

The force must be strong with this one!

edit on 29/4/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   

Never mind that, knowledge in general renders the "documentary" channels a source of swearing and throwing things around the living room.

Films i just try to suspend my disbelief for, unless i have one of my regular attacks of chronic cynicism in which case i avoid movies altogether when i'm on my lonesome.

The worst bit is when i go to the cinema with the wife and she goes "wow, that was great", followed by "wasn't it?".

I just try not to give too much detail in my answer .....

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: skalla

You must love the history channel then!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I dislike the sound effects of any explosion where the (fake) report is instant, rather than delayed. FX persons should be proud to get the delay correct for the perceived range.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: skalla

Never mind that, knowledge in general renders the "documentary" channels a source of swearing and throwing things around the living room.

Yea. They've gotten pretty bad with all the stupid "reality" tv shows and crappy documentaries pushing pseudo-science as legit science. Though I must say, I've watched a few recent episodes of Ancient Aliens, and they HAVE started acknowledging what the mainstream believes, but the content is still pretty skewed towards coming away saying that AA is real. The worst one would have to be that new show, Hanger 1. I watched that show once and was aghast and the claims they were making. They actually had the gall to say that most UFO sightings appear over Missouri. I was like, "Uh... I'm pretty sure that's because rednecks have a tendency to believe this nonsense and will report anything they see in the sky as a ufo."

Films i just try to suspend my disbelief for, unless i have one of my regular attacks of chronic cynicism in which case i avoid movies altogether when i'm on my lonesome.

The worst bit is when i go to the cinema with the wife and she goes "wow, that was great", followed by "wasn't it?".

I just try not to give too much detail in my answer .....

lol

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I trimmed my cable package and dropped "The History Channel" for obvious reasons. I still get Discovery as i really rather enjoy Gold Rush and Gold Divers, but the only decent new documentaries now (bar the odd exception) are on BBC4 - no fillers or time wasting and no patronising stuff aimed primarily at kids. Beeb four for the win.

I suffered half of Ancient Black Ops a couple of nights ago when Tivo threw it my way. Ug.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

The History Channel has really soured my perception of documentaries. Then I started reading the histories of various documentaries and found that many are flawed (even the dry ones pre-new era History Channel). I'd rather just read my information from science websites or articles that thoroughly source their material. That way I can check their claims myself while I'm reading it.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

ROBOT ROLL CALL!!

Cambot! Gypsy! Tom servo! Croooooooooooooooooow!

ETA: switched Cambot and Gypsy so they'd be in the right order. I tried from memory and failed...time to go lay down

But just for fun

MANOS!
edit on 30-4-2015 by KyoZero because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
a reply to: Gazrok

MANOS!

I just went to rifftrax yesterday after posting the link on page 1 and saw that Mike, Bill, and Kevin made a new Manos: Hands of Fate commentary. They have it for sale on dvd. The original is amazing, so I really want to see this new one.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

well then....time to go look

Thanks for the tip

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Ok so I just saw an ad on TV for this movie and it fits right in this thread I think..

It's called Flight, never heard it before, even with the great Denzel Washington in it..

Skip to 4 minute mark, but I think the preview pic gives you an idea on what it's all about

edit on 30/4/15 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

Here you go.
www.rifftrax.com...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

Yea. I didn't even need to watch the video. That preview pic tells me all I need to know lol.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Chadwickus

LOL, slap a Red Bull logo on it and call it a stunt plane

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   
When the page loaded, it stopped on the plane video a couple of posts up and made me think of the flick Con Air, when they were flying over Vegas and it was totally wrong. So bloody wrong. Anyway......

Watching the trilogy from last night, Chicago Fire, Chicago P.D. and L&O:SVU from last night. So, would a plastic bottle of nail polish survive a fire, twice? Seeing that made me think of this thread and I chuckled a bit. It's like courtroom drama crap that, while they may be presenting the law mostly correctly, they have the lawyers getting the faces of people and such that never happens in a courtroom. Gotta take it with a grain of salt.

Anyway, there's my two cents, adjusted for inflation.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Never mind that, knowledge in general renders the "documentary" channels a source of swearing and throwing things around the living room

The other day, saw a trailer for a new movie, "Area 51". Opening line talks about the Roswell crash, and the wreckage being sent there......

Just shook my head. In '47, "Area 51" was nothing more than two dirt airstrips...... Wasn't until the 50's that a facility was built there, and that was for the U-2.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   

It used to many years ago, but then I changed my approach to entertainment. Essentially, I take a hard line on suspending disbelief in order to be entertained to the greatest extent possible. I stopped looking for intellectual simulation in media a long time ago as well, and I think that helped me too. It cut out a massive, massive source of disappointment either way!

At the end of the day, I would rather be smiling at some awesome explosions than spending however many hours mulling over all the inaccuracies.

One example (spoiler!!) is in Interstellar when Matt Damon, I think, was sucked out of the airlock near the end. Had me and my dad rolling with laughter.. Probably not quite the intended reaction, but it was entertaining regardless.
edit on 30-4-2015 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   

No man you dont understand, only him and him alone could have flown and landed that plane the way he did lol! All the while he was drunk and on coc aine! I believe!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join