It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does your knowledge of science ruin movies and tv shows?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: rockpaperhammock

I agree, cutting edge science is acceptable to me to bend the rules of science. I can accept that since even the scientists don't know how that really works.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

No, my knowledge is pretty much limited to a slinky.

everyone loves a slinky - so, I would like the following please....

*One of Quarks holosuites [purr like a kitten sound]
*Replicator
*Phazer
*Tricorder.
*Shuttlecraft.

one day my friend, one day........

S&F brother

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:30 AM
link   
I've known script writers who put these inaccuracies in movies on purpose not only because it makes a movie more visually interesting, or makes for a better scene, or better dialogue but...also, because it makes people feel really good about knowing the difference between what's going on in the movie, and what the reality would be. They call it "nerd-herding" (no offence). It works. People just love being right.

link   
Ha!, there seems to be a trend starting of it ruining the experience for those around us rather than us ourselves.

link   
It doesn't bother me, until my husband points something out, or my egg head daughter say's "Yeah know, that's inaccurate...actually". They have both informed me, on numerous occasions - there is no sound in space!

Shut up and just let me enjoy the show! I am able to suspend disbelief and loose myself into a story. Why must I suffer because they feel they must - correct inaccuracies.

For example, my husband likes to find editing errors and point them out. "ooh, did you just see the tip of the microphone at the top corner of that shot? No? Let rewind it for you." Or, "It should be a rule American Actors can't play British roles. They can't keep their accents straight and switch back and forth to British and American. Isn't it driving you nuts?"

Uh no, hadn't notice the 'accents' beyond the engrossing story line, oh... you want me to turn it off? Tough Poop!

CdT

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

Hmmm... I didn't know that. Interesting food for thought there.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Generally I don't let it bother me, I can suspend belief with most movies.

Some things do bother me though, like on the TV show Bones, and all the computer blips and beeps they use.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

Do you have a problem with casting white actors for roles that non-white people should be in? Like casting Christian Bale to be Moses in the recent Exodus movie?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Not that it would be the case in every instance of inaccuracy on the screen, but it's definitely a trick in the arsenal. Suspending disbelief just doesn't work as well as it once did.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
At first when i started to develop a more in depth understanding of the sciences yes, id say i did call out movies for being unrealistic and what not.

However i have come to realize that a good piece of film is like any piece of art, it can represent deeper more meaningful aspects that couldn't be achieved if everything was shot "realistically". We have sounds in space mentioned, explosions and scenees where gas is leaking into space etc - these are audible additions to give the scene more depth and feeling to the situation, just like creepy music adding to suspense when the evil antagonist is stalking the innocent woman.

So over the years ive learned to let it go and to embrace the unrealistic aspects to TV and movies and also accept that the makers are trying to reach everyone so some things are too simple and others too complex - exactly like sound effects and musical score is.

So basically chill out, dont think so much and dont let your knowledge of a thing, ruin a wonderful experience.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:41 AM
link   
oh my yes

Broken Arrow (1996) - Former 2W2 here

First off, the initial terminology that should be used is an Empty Quiver.
Second, that is not a B83
Third, that is not how you arm, disarm or disable a B83
Fourth, per START and other treaties, flying a "test mission" with live warheads can be taken as an act of war. All test missions are done with inert weapons

I saw this movie late, around 2004 because I'm like...hey...nuke movie...awesome

yeah it wasn't awesome

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

No I don't, personally... but if you ask my husband... lol. The Passion Of Christ was hell to get through.

I haven't seen Moses, couldn't get through Noah... and Bale well I don't think he's a nice guy, so I try not to support his career by watching any of his movies. I'd have to meet him personally, and he prove me wrong - before I'd watch another of his flicks. My bat sensors sense - a not very nice guy with that one. Could be wrong, often am, but he rubs me the wrong way. So, no I won't watch Moses to begin with, but not because Omar Borkan Al Gala should have been cast in the role, but because of the choice of lead being Bale. Irony. lol

CdT

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

To further the deconstruction of movie trickery, sometimes (again, not always), when a studio is is either : a) Confident that the fan base for their movie will herd in regardless of small errors, or; b) Unsure of what the movie will ultimately take and willing to risk it... those small editing errors like say...the car you can see in Lord of the Rings, or the random microphone, sound guys hand, etc. are left in intentionally to guarantee a spot on Top Ten lists, and as little Easter eggs that will keep the film, or TV show , talked about. Again, it's all about making an otherwise blasé viewer feel as if they're seeing things other viewers may not be quick enough to catch.

More often than not, film editors are insanely sharp, even after editing for hours on end. Mistakes happen...but they're aren't always true mistakes.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

No, because I know the difference between fact and fiction.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Atsbhct

I tell my husband this ALL the time.

"You know honey, have you ever considered, that editors and producers leave these little mistakes in on purpose? Just to drive people like you nuts?

CdT
edit on 29-4-2015 by CirqueDeTruth because: format fix

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Lol. Take solace in the fact that you're the one who really figured it out.....and then loudly rub it in his face while he's trying to enjoy movies.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
What about all of the explosions, and yet they walk away with perfect hearing (in most cases). I can't remember which movie, but Will Ferell is near a bomb exploding, and screams bloody murder about his ears, and how in the movies its not like that.....it was freaking hilarious!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Well the Exodus movie was just an example of such a thing happening. I could have asked the same question about the Ten Commandments movie that casted Charlton Heston as Moses.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: kurthall
What about all of the explosions, and yet they walk away with perfect hearing (in most cases). I can't remember which movie, but Will Ferell is near a bomb exploding, and screams bloody murder about his ears, and how in the movies its not like that.....it was freaking hilarious!

Yea explosions are a reoccurring one. Watching Falcon dodge explosions in Captain America: Winter Soldier was crazy. Like why haven't that man's insides turned to jelly yet?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Mystery Science Theater 3000 sums it up best:

If you're wondering how he eats & breathes, And other science facts...(la! la! la!) Then repeat to yourself its just a show, I should really just relax.. source: www.lyricsondemand.com...

Pretty much what I do. Suspension of disbelief and all.....

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join