It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Antibiotic (Cipro) Linked to Serious, Potentially-Deadly Side Effects

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
a reply to: iLikeCIAnot

I have not had the need for antibiotics for many years, but if I do, colloidal silver is definitely an option. My sister swears by it.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 07:41 AM
link   
In 2008 massive doses of Cipro and Keflex saved my right leg and probably my life. I had an infection in my leg that was so bad the doctor drew a magic marker line around it just below the knee. He was giving the antibiotics 24 hours to take effect. If they hadn't and the infection passed the line, he was going to amputate my leg. Between the IV antibiotics, the Cipro and Keflex the infection was stopped.

I had the issue with the bacteria in my bowel getting killed off. It took several months to get that back to rights. Funny thing is that is when I started losing weight. 142 lbs since 2008. A few weeks ago my co-workers were joking about the FDA approving "poop transplants". They stopped when I told them that I wish they would have approved them a while back.

I'd never heard about the possible damage to tendons. Is it coincidence that I fell last year and ruptured the Quadriceps tendon in the same leg that I had the infection in?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

HM..well SBO's may be the way to go, my probiotic company has a different approach:

We should be exposed to SBOs through interactions with soil and even the vegetables we eat. It is true that the commercialization of food has removed much of this contact from our modern lifestyles.

However, many adults have an even bigger problem: damaged resident flora (lactobacilli and bifidobacteria). This means that they don’t have the proper microbe makeup to interact with soil-based organisms in a healthy and beneficial way. SBOs are spore-forming, they reproduce differently than the beneficial bacteria that are normally part of our flora, and if a person doesn’t have healthy colonies of resident bacteria to keep the soil-based organisms in check, the SBOs can proliferate very rapidly, take over the gut and even become pathogenic.

Once you have strong colonies of resident flora and a healthy GI tract, we absolutely recommend increased exposure to SBO’s… ideally by interacting more with nature (eating freshly grown, organic fruits and vegetables or even gardening, playing in the dirt or just being outside). If a more nature-based lifestyle isn’t an option, SBO supplementation may at that point be a good idea. As a disclaimer, it is our opinion that SBOs should not fall under the category of “probiotics” as it leads to confusion and misinformation.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:30 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

And our parents bitched at us when we ate dirt when we were kids.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Exactly! And you can't even buy liquid hand soap that's not antibacterial. We have become hyper clean and our bodies have forgotten how to resist the least harmful bacteria! How did we ever make it to adulthood? (I used to eat my mud pies)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
In 2008 massive doses of Cipro and Keflex saved my right leg and probably my life. I had an infection in my leg that was so bad the doctor drew a magic marker line around it just below the knee. He was giving the antibiotics 24 hours to take effect. If they hadn't and the infection passed the line, he was going to amputate my leg. Between the IV antibiotics, the Cipro and Keflex the infection was stopped.

I had the issue with the bacteria in my bowel getting killed off. It took several months to get that back to rights. Funny thing is that is when I started losing weight. 142 lbs since 2008. A few weeks ago my co-workers were joking about the FDA approving "poop transplants". They stopped when I told them that I wish they would have approved them a while back.

I'd never heard about the possible damage to tendons. Is it coincidence that I fell last year and ruptured the Quadriceps tendon in the same leg that I had the infection in?

Man that hits home today! I just got home from the hospital after having a foot infection looked at. Cipro 500mg's twice a day and Teva 500mg's four times a day supplemented with some codeine tabs for the pain. I have a history of foot infections so this is not a new thing to me but what you wrote above really got me, and here is why. Last summer our neighbour was limping around badly all the time and come winter time he went missing. Turns out it was a foot infection and they ended up amputating his foot, then half his leg.

He let it go too long, so this morning when it took me 5 minutes to walk from the bed to the bathroom (15 feet) my neighbours problem was deeply set in my mind at the time.
By 11:00 am I asked the wife to take me to the hospital, I am glad I did but I am also wary of the anti-biotics.

They always and I mean always destroy my gut for months on end, heck I just got back to normal two weeks ago after a dose of them 3 months ago. Thanks for posting your story I quoted and S&F to the OP for a informative thread and sorry for the loss of your loved dog.

The headlines on our grocery list are "Toilet Paper" and "Pro Biotics" :-)
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic
a reply to: CFibrosis

I'm glad you can take Cipro without any problems. Everyone's body is different, however. Most people can eat gluten, for example, and not have any issue at all. It makes me very sick. I've eaten it all my life and one day, I had a powerful reaction.

My dog had taken the antibiotic (not Cipro) that killed her several times before. But this time, she had a reaction and it destroyed her kidneys. I'm sure many of the drugs manufactured are just fine for many people, but for others, they can cause serious issues. That's the point of this post.

Just got done a one month 750MG X 2 a day regimen of Cipro and it cleared up my lung infection and kept me out of the hospital.

And, to the person who is saying "We overuse anti-biotics blah blah blah" This is true, but at the same time, some of us really, really need these antibiotics or we will end up dead in a matter of months.

posted on Jul, 28 2015 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I took antibiotics once in my adult life, after my car did some weird stunts taking out the top half of a brick wall, landing upside down back in the street, and having the jaws of life rip me out. I seemed unscratched, went to primcare in the morning to remove shards of glass from both my eyes (thank god alcohol suppressed REM sleep), then 3 weeks later my cold turned nasty infection had me about a step away from deathly ill, or rather in the beginning stages of it. That was 2005. None sense.

I think it's all about the terrain, and view the immune system like a real world antivirus program protecting your system. You gotta update the virus database periodically, and that means exposure. So my take is to keep the terrain healthy by trying to constantly have low-grade exposure to the various pathogens in my local environment. Any time I start to come down with something the overall goal for me is to increase nutrition, and decrease stressors, taking a little more downtime to regenerate before a full blown issue arises. That's been successful the last decade. If I have to go further sometime in the future, it'll be essential oils first, and antibiotics as a very last resort.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join