It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Antibiotic (Cipro) Linked to Serious, Potentially-Deadly Side Effects

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

So sad, I have my fear share of medication interactions do to been very sensitive to additives in medications even those over the counter, been in the emergency room too many times with side effects.

Antibiotics are the worst for me, specially those that have sulfa or anything that have sulfa, they will make me swell from head to toe.

Big pharma approach to one size fix all is killing more people than ever this days

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Incidentally, drug toxicity in pets is not uncommon. Most medications prescribed for pets are human drugs and dosage is based on the best guesstimate.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Antibiotics, and other drugs, save thousands of lives every day. If people want to live like they're in the Dark Ages, great, but don't ask me to because you're a sissy. I, for one, am grateful for pharmaceuticals. Without them I'd have died at 14.

Well speaking as a PHRN.. I'm a male/Murse. ( Flight Nurse... not a SISSY! ) there are some things that moldy bread can't fix. But for others just trying to live a bit easier. With out paying $$$$$$ to drug companies.

edit on 29-4-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-4-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Restricted
Antibiotics, and other drugs, save thousands of lives every day. If people want to live like they're in the Dark Ages, great, but don't ask me to because you're a sissy. I, for one, am grateful for pharmaceuticals. Without them I'd have died at 14.

Hey, I take pharmaceuticals every day and this thread isn't even attempting to say that there's no use for pharmaceuticals or Western medicine. It's simply a warning about ONE very popular antibiotic.

Not every thread on ATS is a challenge to a fight, you know... Chill...

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Bigburgh

Thanks. However after four months of immobilization during which the most difficult challenge was the trip to the bathroom, healing began. My knees are fine now, I'm delighted to report.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Antibiotics and other medicines are pretty much of recent days, before that people lived on natural means and used them for their well being, in the beginning most medications origins were directly from those same natural means, later on big pharma decided that synthetics and additives in medications were necessary because cheaper ingredients would bring more profits. and their treatment of one size fit all.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
My Dr. tried giving me 3 months worth of Cipro over a PE episode. I took 1 and a half of them and could hardly walk for 10 days..I thought that my Achilles tendons were gonna snap.

Although the PE episode ended with just what i was willing to take...I'll never take them ever again

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Never use antibiotics. Period. They kill the virus sure, along with the bad bacteria that is necessary for your body to keep its immunity up. That bacteria doesn't come back by itself.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
a reply to: SPECULUM

Body aches and pains are one of the side effects of antibiotics when given for a long period of time, taking probiotics with them will help with that problem actually when taking any antibiotic is recommended to take probiotics to restore the body.

The only antibiotics I do well good are the older ones that were directly derived from penicillin as I am not allergic to that.

But any of the newer more expensive ones will send me to the ER.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I'm so sorry about your furry friend, our best friends indeed. ♥

Regarding Fluoroquinolones: like all medication there are always risks involved and those risks vary with each individual. The problem with FQuinolones is that they are not prescribed correctly: they are seriously strong antibiotics and they should only be prescribed for life threatening bacterial infections, and not for a 'simple' bronchitis, etc. I was just reading the British National Formulary book (I'm a nurse) and they specifically warn of their use with children and adolescents (unless in specific circumstances). They also warn it may cause tendon damage / rupture in rare occasions.

But, just like another member said, antibiotics should not be bought without a prescription and should not be used unnecessarily for various reasons, one is that they do destroy good bacteria and second we are helping bacteria mutate and become resistant to most antibiotics.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:40 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Same here. My thoughts exactly.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I have Crohn's and took ciprofloxin for a 2 week stretch back in December. I honestly don't remember feeling bad, but honestly, I was taking somewhere in the neighborhood of 23-30 pills every day.. so it was hard to identify what was causing what at any given time... God, I hate how my disease has me dependent on so many medications now... I'm risking short term health for all these long term issues that could present themselves down the road... Very scary thing that creeps in the back of my mind...

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 02:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: kaylaluv
My 13-year-old got a UTI, so I took her to the doctor. He prescribed what he said was the "gold standard" in antibiotics for UTI's. I don't recall now what it was called, but after 3 days of taking it, she said she felt really bad, like she was getting sick (like flu), and she developed a rash on her body. I immediately stopped the antibiotics and called the doctor. He gave her a weaker antibiotic that worked fine. I sure hope we stopped the first one in time for any permanent damage down the road. She seems fine now, but reading the article, it implies that problems may be delayed years later. Crap.

For natural help with UTI infections, you can get a supplement called "Cranactin" (I think that's spelled right)...it is basically just dried cranberry juice in capsules.

If UTIs are a recurring problem take one Cranactin each day (or every other day) as a preventative - or if the 'feeling' of a UTI is coming on, take several capsules a couple times a day for a few days until that feeling goes away...

...I used to get frequent UTIs and with the Cranactin, I never had to use antibiotics for them..

edit on 29-4-2015 by lostgirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lostgirl

Thanks, I'll look into it if she ever gets another UTI. I did try having her drink cranberry juice before we went to the doctor, but it didn't seem to help. Maybe the supplement is more concentrated.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   
I remember during the anthrax scare that Cipro was permitted for suspected contamination as an exceptionnal measure, since anthrax is so deadly. Cipro was still considered a dangerous antibiotic at that time. It's funny how time change! Now these days, it is prescribed at large even for prevention of mild infection.

This is a good example of how far marketing dept. of big pharma goes when unchecked.

Cipro and all fluoroquinolones are dangerous antibiotics that shall be prescribed ONLY when there is a high probability of SERIOUS infection and risk to life of patients.

One of the most ignored adverse effect is peripheral neuropathy. It act on nerve very much the same as nuclear radiations, the dose is cumulative and often irreversible. Once a specific threshold of exposition is reached, peripheral neuropathy begin to show up.

Adverse effects

And not to mention it attract Clostridium difficile colitis like nothing else!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Please for your own good read about primal defense...the product is legendary for resolving Crohns.

reply to: jhn7537

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Great information thank you
reply to: PeterMcFly

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:16 PM
link   
No
vaccinium macrocarpon (cranberry) in its pure unsugared form prevents bacterial adhesion. Once the infection takes place (usually e coli bacteria). Its too late...you must kill the bacteria with much different agents or risk kidney infection.

Again. ..cranberry DOES NOT CURE a UTI...it prevents them if used steadily in your diet, proantho cyanins prevent bacterial adhesion so bacteria cand adhete and replicate CAUSING the infection.

Folks need to stop offering advice when they dont really know the subject.
reply to: kaylaluv

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: BlueJacket

vaccinium macrocarpon (cranberry) in its pure unsugared form prevents bacterial adhesion. Once the infection takes place (usually e coli bacteria). Its too late...you must kill the bacteria with much different agents or risk kidney infection.

Very true but just a little comment on this: cranberry, even in unsugared form contain a lot of sucrose, and we can tell what we want but natural sucrose is the same molecule as unnatural sucrose.

We tryed cranberry for prevention of UTI and must confess that I no longer give credibility to the theory that it prevent bacterial adhesion, even for D-Mannose.

What worked very well for us was ketogenic diet. The ketone bodies produced in the urine seem toxic to most if not all bacteria. And since this diet prohibit consumption of sugar (natural or unnatural), there is no food for bacteria. UTI was gone without antibiotics within 10 days.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I feel better knowing they put GWBush and Dick Cheney on it even before the anthrax scare.
Funny they would do that with the anthrax attacks being a "terrorist" action and all.
How did they know ahead of time?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join