It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Common Antibiotic (Cipro) Linked to Serious, Potentially-Deadly Side Effects

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Dangerous Antibiotic

One of the most commonly-prescribed drugs in America is causing severe and painful reactions to hundreds of thousands of people taking it, according to research done by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and medical doctors around the country.

The line of antibiotics is called fluoroquinolones. They are more commonly referred to by their product names or sponsors, which are:

Noroxin® (norfloxacin)—Merck and Co.
Cirpo® Cipro XR® (ciprofloxacin)—Bayer HealthCare
Levaquin® (levofloxacin)—Janssen Pharmaceuticals
Avelox® (moxifloxican)—Bayer HealthCare
Factive® (gemifloxican)—Cornerstone Therapeutics
Ofloxacin—generic

Since an antibiotic just killed my dog, this story is of interest to me. My position is to exhaust ALL alternative treatments before taking a drug that feeds the Pharmaceutical Industry of the United States. They have no interest in keeping you well, just keeping you alive and coming back for more of their toxic drugs.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

One of the biggest problems with anti-biotics is that they kill the good with the bad. Humans (and I assume all mammals) are 90% bacteria, to blatantly disrupt the micro-biome each time we are given one of these products is absurd. In research over the last 3 years the value of gut bacteria from digestion, immunity, depression, weight loss etc... is becoming more and more obvious as the studies pile up.

I am truly sorry for your loss. Consider a number of herbal extracts available and contact your community herbalist. I refrain from naming some of the more exotic but easily acquired materials, as I do not think it wise to have people attempt self medication without a qualified diagnosis...as I have seen serious problems arrise there as well.
edit on 29-4-2015 by BlueJacket because: spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   
When is the FDA going to be held accountable for the crap that they approve?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Ben,

I'm not real good at condolences. But reading what you wrote
about your dog grieves my heart bigtime. Tearfully sorry for your
loss my fellow member.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:55 AM
link   

I believe Cipro is what my doc had me on the end of last year for a sinuous infection. It was prescribed for 20 days, which I thought was ridiculous. After researching, I saw that the normal course was 7-10 days so I took it for 7. My memory is that it made me feel terrible. I don't remember the exact symptoms, but just terrible. If I remember right that drug can also cause spontaneous tendon rupture as well. Not a good thing to put in your body.

Oh, and I also want to express condolences for your beloved friend.
edit on 4/29/2015 by wtbengineer because: to add

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
My 13-year-old got a UTI, so I took her to the doctor. He prescribed what he said was the "gold standard" in antibiotics for UTI's. I don't recall now what it was called, but after 3 days of taking it, she said she felt really bad, like she was getting sick (like flu), and she developed a rash on her body. I immediately stopped the antibiotics and called the doctor. He gave her a weaker antibiotic that worked fine. I sure hope we stopped the first one in time for any permanent damage down the road. She seems fine now, but reading the article, it implies that problems may be delayed years later. Crap.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
The way fluoroquinolones work to kill bacteria and fungus also makes it a little invasive on our cells. It should only be used when needed. I am sure it can cause problems for a lot of people. There ought to be a way to tell if someone is going to be more negatively effected by them.

Sulfa drugs are designed to kill certain pterins but this also leads to an increase of sulfites in the body even though the molybdopterin is not the pterin targeted it is still effected. A lot of people are intolerant of sulfonamides because of that reason.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
a reply to: kaylaluv

The most important thing you can do for her health now is to rebuild the beneficial bacteria in the gut. 5 day max care is 400 billion CFU and is what I recommend to anyone. Once antibiotics kill off the beneficial bacteria a whole host of chronic issues can and often do begin to crop up, the longer the micro-biome is disrupted the more severe the chronic illnesses become/manifest.

Auto immune diseases like Hashimotos, Parkinsons, Alzheimers, exzcema, psoriasis...etc...are presently being found to be intimately connected to gut bacteria. A proper Gut biome actually disallows for the adhesion of bad bacteria like ecoli thus accomplishing the same effect through balanced health sought from anti-biotics, which are utterly unbalancing to each of us and our greater environment IE anti biotic resistant bugs.

Forgive my terrible spelling

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   

So sorry for your loss. Losing a fur child is most difficult.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: BlueJacket
a reply to: kaylaluv

The most important thing you can do for her health now is to rebuild the beneficial bacteria in the gut. 5 day max care is 400 billion CFU and is what I recommend to anyone. Once antibiotics kill off the beneficial bacteria a whole host of chronic issues can and often do begin to crop up, the longer the micro-biome is disrupted the more severe the chronic illnesses become/manifest.

I HIIGHLY recommend this probiotic/prebiotic.
Prescript Assist I get it from Amazon.

Thank you all for the kind words.
edit on 4/29/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Yes your thread on that brought to tears...
Now. I want to ask. Did it happen to destroy your pups stomach lining?
Cipro is powerful. In a common side affect is severe erosion of the stomach and intestinal lining. Not often mentioned except in the fine print.

The worst I had was Vancomiacin .. you need a port for that one. Causes hearing loss and heart issues.

Edit: re-read your post. You did not give this to your pup. My advice is... if you're going to take Cipro...EAT A LOT!
edit on 29-4-2015 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh

Now. I want to ask. Did it happen to destroy your pups stomach lining?

She stopped eating after 3 days of taking the antibiotic (not Cipro), so it's possible her stomach was affected, but kidney failure is what killed her.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Cipro is the number one antibiotic used to treat Lyme Disease
in both dogs & humans. If my dog got Lyme I would probably use
Amoxi instead.
So sorry about your dog.
Thank you for creating the post.

I hate that every time I go to the dentist I have to take
2000mg of Amoxi that morning due to a prosthesis.

Cheers
Ektar
edit on 2942015 by Ektar because: missed a post above

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

When I put Mylo down 2 weeks ago ( he was not on antibiotics ) he was just an old dog. He too suffered renal failure. Same here, last three days he would not eat or drink. I had to give an I.V. .

Give me a moment. I need to read your prescription link.

( prescription-assist lacks warning because it's natural.. thus not entirely falling under FDA guidelines so still let your doctor know in cause of other meds taken... )

Edit: OK. All I can say is. I don't know what you have. Or if this is for the other Sheppard. If you are taking this. Tell your doctor, this pre-assist shouldn't hurt you/or the other pup. Cipro will.. again that stuff erodes the linings..
Keep in mind you need bacteria in your stomach... the healthy gut bugs... yes we do even have a certain needed amount of E-coli. So don't over do it.

Fiber works good to clear the works.. and guess what?
everyone gets gassy. Notice your link suggested flatulence is a bad thing.. it's only bad if you can clear out the out door party. So gas is OK if it's not pungent

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Edit: OK. All I can say is. I don't know what you have. Or if this is for the other Sheppard. If you are taking this.

No one is taking this. Nothing's wrong with me. This is just an article I came across and wanted to post here for people to be aware of it.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Cipro caused the ligaments in both my knees to rip three or four months after taking it. I was told that the muscular tissue side effects happen in the metabolite stage, when the half life of the drug breakdown is processed by the liver. Not fun at all, the experience quickly acquaints a person with the joyless experience of being immobile and in pain. I would never take it again.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

Edit: OK. All I can say is. I don't know what you have. Or if this is for the other Sheppard. If you are taking this.

No one is taking this. Nothing's wrong with me. This is just an article I came across and wanted to post here for people to be aware of it.

Oh, Ok.
Alright, it never hurts to look into the alternatives. There are tons of less harmful dietary supplements out there. Like you did. Just give it a read.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   

My wife was just taking one of these for a kidney infection and had to call the doctor because it was basically giving her debilitating pain. They prescribed her a different type and things were fine.

This is why I prefer to just remain healthy through a healthy lifestyle instead of letting my body go to crap and relying on FDA-Approved pills to keep me "healthy." Sure, I still need them from time to time, but when compared to other people I work with, I probably used medication maybe 1/10th as often, maybe even less.

I'm glad my mom was an intelligent nurse and taught me the benefits of being healthy.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: aboutface
Cipro caused the ligaments in both my knees to rip three or four months after taking it. I was told that the muscular tissue side effects happen in the metabolite stage, when the half life of the drug breakdown is processed by the liver. Not fun at all, the experience quickly acquaints a person with the joyless experience of being immobile and in pain. I would never take it again.

very sorry.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
Antibiotics, and other drugs, save thousands of lives every day. If people want to live like they're in the Dark Ages, great, but don't ask me to because you're a sissy. I, for one, am grateful for pharmaceuticals. Without them I'd have died at 14.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join