It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Cameron have "Brain Fade" over his footie team, or is he just another horrible liar?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:13 AM
link   
The errr, fragrant Hillary Clinton "mis-spoke" about flowers being sniper fire, the awful Tony Blair just plain made up his history of watching Newcastle United as a boy, and now "Call me Dave" Cameron shows he can't tell his arse from his elbow when it comes to stuff that every footie fan just takes for granted.

While talking about the many identities that can make up a Briton earlier this week, Cameron (who describes himself as "a lifelong Villa fan") made an embarrassing gaffe that no lifelong football fan would ever commit:

"Where you can be Welsh and Hindu and British, Northern Irish and Jewish and British, where you can wear a kilt and a turban, where you can wear a hijab covered in poppies.
"Where you can support Man Utd, the Windies and Team GB all at the same time. Of course, I'd rather you supported West Ham."

Now for those who aint familiar with all of this, West Ham are a London based team... and Aston Villa are a Birmingham based team, some 120 miles away.

Now i kinda still love Cameron for saying "too many tweets make a twat"... but you'd have to be no kind of supporter whatsoever to mistake your own team so badly.. for the total outsider, both play in Claret and Blue kit...

Aston Villa:

West Ham. Or is that Burnley, no, i mean S#horpe... sorry, it is West Ham

What did Cameron have to say about this?

"I had what Natalie Bennett described as a brain fade. I'm a Villa fan... I must have been overcome by something... this morning. But there we are, these things sometimes happen when you are on the stump."

To his credit, he brushes it off fairly well... and has a family connection to The Villa through an uncle who was club chairman thirty or so years ago.

But it's still a load of lies. He's just using it to try to appear as a man of the people... Farage got dibs on pints of bitter and a ciggie first so what else was left for Dave?

He's no fan, as shown here:

When he was first elected to the House of Commons in 2001, Mr Cameron said he did not follow football.

He told the House in a debate on hooliganism that year: “Many of those who have spoken in the debate or have written about the subject are either lawyers or football fans, but I have to confess that I am neither.”

Villa manager Tim Sherwood declined to comment, possibly.

And their legendary midfielder Paul Tait was also unavailable

Apparently Twitter was ablaze-ish about this with much hilarity in however many characters or less.. more at the sources:

The Beeb
Channel 4
The Guardian

So... horrible liar who like the rest of those useless idiots who should just focus on policy and being honest instead?

Or was it just an entirely forgiveable brain fart?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:17 AM
link   
a reply to: skalla

I thought it was quite funny either way! I have to say though, i am prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one.

Why? Well because he initially claimed to support Villa (not a massive following) and in his slip up he claimed West Ham (larger following but mostly very specific in terms of location for support). He wasn't in a "West Ham" area so there would have been no need for him to alter his allegiance for the audience.

If he would have have been in a "West Ham" area though i would definitely be saying "ooh you lying little cynic you".

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Dude, Villa have a pretty sizable following and are one of the most famous and illustrious of teams, helping to found the football league and have won their fair share of trophies way back when.

I had a spit before i said that.. my dad may supports The Villa but he's a traitor. My family fall for The Wolves. For our sins.

I'm skiving atm, and have not found out where this speech was presented...

eta: Would you forget which team you supported?
edit on 29-4-2015 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:26 AM
link   
do you really need to ask!
has anyone ever seen him at a game ever?

upper class polititian trying to look like common pleb to appeal to voters shocker
with his background if he does follow team sport its most likely rugby or polo
but both are seen as a bit "posh" so bad PR.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:30 AM
link   
a reply to: ShayneJUK

He has his son Arthur to a game at Villa Park at least once that i know of..

But i don't think he took the blindest bit of notice when he was there.

It's on a par with Blair saying he remembers watching Jackie Milburn from the Gallowgate End at St James's park, while Milburn retired when he was four and the Gallowgate was long gone...

When you are as much a liar as Blair you know you have issues.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

I'll bet he prefers Polo if honest to football. He's ain't from'common folk' and only interest would be the balance sheet.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:49 AM
link   
I think politicians are human beings and cannot be expected to be magically exact in all things.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
Two words: Public Relations.

He is told what to say by his media and campaign advisers. He was attempting to tap into the ordinary people.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Far be it for me to call our Dear Leader a liar but he is a politician (a liar).
I am a Villa fan and until Tim Sherwood took over I tried to forget who I supported but no matter how hard I tried couldn't , every embarrassing defeat was still an embarrassing defeat , he's no more a football fan than I'm Tory Prime Minister.

The thought of Cameron supporting the same team as me was an unpleasant one , I'm glad his little LIE is out in the open and I can look forward to a better future with Mr Sherwood and hopefully a new sugar daddy owner if Mr Lerner can find one.

Only a week to go till hopefully we can wave bye bye to call me Dave and his band of fellow liars ... Grant Shapps and Andrew Mitchell come to mind.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Even when you are pished out of your head, incapable of making a sentence do you ever "forget" your football team.

Even if reading a prepared speech would you make that mistake, your brain would instantly kick in with mental alarm bells.

Cameron made that mistake because the football angle was made up to appeal to a section of the voting public. "Look at me I'm normal football loving ordinary guy"...........No you're not Dave your an idiot who does not know which side of the ball to kick ;-)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Far be it for me to call our Dear Leader a liar but he is a politician (a liar).

Not all politicians are liars that is ATS nonsesne. FYI my dad was a politician, so now you are getting insulting......

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: yorkshirelad

originally posted by: gortex

Not all politicians are liars that is ATS nonsesne. FYI my dad was a politician, so now you are getting insulting......

Hear hear. Political tribalism is the reason for our current mess politically. Each Party has good and bad, same as for every section of society. I have never hid my political affiliations here at ATS but i am quite willing to admit that some of my favourite politicians (ie those i have true respect for) come from Parties with differing Political ideologies to me.

The sooner we get over needless tribalism, the sooner we get a Parliament made of people who go into politics for all the right reasons (of which i sincerely believe is the vast majority).

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Never, life long fan of the mighty LFC (well, i say mighty........).

I never bought the Villa support anyway. From memory, that came out a few weeks after Prince William said he was a Villa fan.......just saying!

I just know personally speaking (have done myself numerous times) that when really tired any old nonsense can easily slip out of your mouth!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
He obviously has no interest in footy. Just another facet of the man's personality dreamt up by some focus group to appeal to a section of the population.

Clegg and Milliband aren't any better.
Total fakes.

That's why people are more switched on by Ukip, greens SNP and Plaid. At least their membership and big players seem more "normal"

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: yorkshirelad

Not all politicians are liars that is ATS nonsesne.

Not ALL politicians are liars I will give you that but in my 40 year plus experience I believe the vast majority of them will tell you what you want to hear or what they want you to hear rather than the actual naked truth, they lie to suit their purpose.

FYI my dad was a politician, so now you are getting insulting......

And you are being overly sensitive , my dad was a pilot in the RAF does that mean all RAF pilots are good / honest ... beyond reproach ?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Do you honestly believe people go into politics in order to deceive and further their own ends? Or do you just think the current system encourages them to end up like that?

I have never in my life heard a person say they want to be a politician in order to lie to serve their own purpose. I have heard many people say they would like to be politician in order to effect change.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Flavian

Do you honestly believe people go into politics in order to deceive and further their own ends? Or do you just think the current system encourages them to end up like that?

A bit of both really , I think some go with the express intention to climb the ladder , make contacts and get a slice of whatever's going , others go in with the intention of making a difference to peoples lives but there are corrupting forces in the halls of power and temptation is great.
I think some remain with their integrity intact but the vast majority have sold their souls to our corporate master.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: paraphi
I think politicians are human beings and cannot be expected to be magically exact in all things.

While i agree that David Cameron is a human being, it does not require an act of thaumaturgy to remember the name of a body that you claim to have been devoted to your whole life, does it?

I think it's a shame that currently "public relations" seems mean making up a bunch of lies (barely understood by the speaker) to suit one's purpose, as opposed to demonstrating an understand of or empathy for an issue, and an explanation of what one wishes to do, how they wish to do it and producing evidence or arguments to demonstrate to the public that such measure are expedient.

Are you OK with politicians wholly misrepresenting themselves to gain power?

a reply to: daaskapital

See above, ish.
edit on 29-4-2015 by skalla because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flavian

Never, life long fan of the mighty LFC (well, i say mighty........).

I never bought the Villa support anyway. From memory, that came out a few weeks after Prince William said he was a Villa fan.......just saying!

I just know personally speaking (have done myself numerous times) that when really tired any old nonsense can easily slip out of your mouth!

In that case i wish Barnsley luck in League 1 next year, seeing as they play in red and all that

And i thought Dave's choice of Villa for his fake support was swayed by Prince William too. Though f### knows why William chose them!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   

And i thought Dave's choice of Villa for his fake support was swayed by Prince William too.

Strangely enough that thought had crossed my mind too.

Though f### knows why William chose them!

Because he's an intelligent bloke.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join