It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dragon Ball Getting First New TV Anime Series in 18 Years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Akira Toriyama’s Dragon Ball franchise is returning to television in Dragon Ball Super, the first anime TV series based on the popular manga to be produced since Dragon Ball GT aired 18 years ago. The new series is set to premiere in Japan on Fuji TV in July, airing Sundays at 9 a.m.

Dragon Ball Super will be set several years after the defeat of Majin Buu, during a period of peace that followed. Masako Nozawa, voice of Goku, Gohan, and Goten, says, “We've always used the word 'chō' (Super) with Dragon Ball in commercials, games and the like, but the fact that the series titled Dragon Ball Super is beginning is the best thing ever.”

Source

Akira Toriyama is behind the scenes making the story himself and thinks that he might create some of the nastiest villains yet.

If you want to watch a comedy based on Dragonball Z, or want to check out something new in the meantime, try out Dragonball Z Abridged at teamfourstar.com, which is a non-profit, fan-based parody based on DBZ. The new Dragon Ball series will be available starting in Japan this summer.

Meanwhile, here is Team Four Star's version of the "over 9000" scene.

edit on 29amWed, 29 Apr 2015 01:04:50 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29amWed, 29 Apr 2015 01:05:37 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29amWed, 29 Apr 2015 01:06:01 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 29amWed, 29 Apr 2015 01:06:57 -0500kbamkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

I just recently finished the dragonball and the z series, getting ready to start the GT.

Glad they are gonna do more.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

But when is it expected to begin airing in the US? I know they gotta dub it all, but are we going to have to wait 5 years for the translation?

TheBorg

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
a reply to: TheBorg

There are places you can go online to stream Japanese anime the day after it comes out - with fan subs. That's the best bet.

There are no plans to bring it to the U.S. Yet.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

I just recently finished the dragonball and the z series, getting ready to start the GT.

Glad they are gonna do more.

IMHO, you may want to watch the fan subbed Japanese version rather than the US abridged version. GT wasn't great to begin with, but the US "start at episode 15 and flash back rather than just telling the effing story," was painful...

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Can't wait! Have you played Dragon ball xenoverse yet?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: bigal7997

Link for the Japanese fan version?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
GT IS NOT CANON. Its basically a what if done by funimation toriyama dislikes that one as well according to interviews in japanese newtype magazine.(the kanji one)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Ya GT has no basis in the manga right?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   
Ugh I hate you! I want to watch this rights now!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:12 PM
link   

a reply to: bigal7997

Link for the Japanese fan version?

These links might work. If not, try torrent...
www.animeultima.io...
edit on 29-4-2015 by bigal7997 because: Forgot link

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Ya GT has no basis in the manga right?

GT is considered just cashing in by many many die hard DB fans,ALTHOUGH toriyama MIGHT find some way to make it CANON if he is motivated to. IF he retcons it i am sure fans would accept it. As it stands even the manga was not written by toriyama if i remember correctly.

The reason he is starting after the Buu saga is thats where he considers where HE left it officially.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

So in July Dragon Ball Super will come out. Then in July of 2020, Goku will finally stop powering up for his first fight in the series.

I kid! I kid! I'll probably watch it. Though since I first watched Dragonball and fell in love with it, I've seen SOOOO many more animes since then, and let me tell you there are much better long running animes *cough*One PIece*cough*Fairy Tail*cough* than Dragonball. So I'm interested to see where they go with the series.
edit on 30-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well using the dragon balls as their no fail plot device the series could technically go on forever.... I mean you can kill your characters and the population off as many times as you want and just wish them back, that works out quite nicely for them.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: jheated5
Well using the dragon balls as their no fail plot device the series could technically go on forever.... I mean you can kill your characters and the population off as many times as you want and just wish them back, that works out quite nicely for them.

Depends on which Dragon balls you are talking about. IF thery make GT canon then they eventually TAke them away at the end so they cant rely on them anymore.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Well we know how GT turned out... In the actual series itself, if they want to draw anything off the GT series it will be finding different dragonballs on some other planet...

Personally I think the series should stay in the past because I don't think they could re-create what they did back then. Saying that though it won't stop me from watching the new series even if it's terrible.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:12 PM
link   

what does it mean for it to be cannon?

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:24 PM
link   

what does it mean for it to be cannon?

That means in line with the creators vision,and in this case written by toriyama.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Oh man, they did make a new movie DBZ Battle of Gods some time ago. I seen it, its not bad and leads to the new movie which is gona come out or is probably out in Japan already, not sure, but there is another thread here about it. I think the series may follow the same story plots.

But man, that parody of the over 9000 scene. It's hilarious, I got to watch some of that channel.

top topics

join