It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The conversation begins:Study finds racial bias in 70% percent of all races!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:18 PM
link   
In the wake of Ferguson, and now Baltimore,and the destruction of our personal rights perpetrated by ego freak LEO's we need to have a discussion on what is going on, how this began, and what we can do to address and ultimately change these problems.

Take the test link: implicit.harvard.edu...

Project Implicit is a non-profit organization and international collaboration between researchers who are interested in implicit social cognition - thoughts and feelings outside of conscious awareness and control.

There is a racial bias test that attempts to determine natural bias, and as stated in headline 70% of all races favor whites, only 17% are neutral and 13% favoring another race. This is where the rub lies and anyone with half a brain will admit this, we are inherently racist, even against our self's. It's easy to look around and blame the other,(us and them anyone) its easy to blame the government, or even some hidden hand. Truthfully the hidden hand is inside of our self's, this all begins inside. I don't have the link to this particular study, but its relevant, i read about it in a brilliant book called blink. Two groups of African Americans were asked to take tests, the first group took the test and 85% passed, the seconded group took the test and were asked one question, and only 50% passed. Do you know what they were asked? They were asked what race they were.

This article from the NY times(tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com...) goes on to describe the implications, and researchers surprise, or uncomfortably with the test results.

some quotes

Dr. Banaji told the Washington Post. “I was humbled in a way that few experiences in my life have humbled me.”

So I was expecting the worst when I took the test last week. I wanted to do well, just as everyone does, but I didn’t try any devious strategies, which I’d heard were futile anyway. After I spent a few minutes trying to associate positive and negative words with either blacks or whites, the computer analyzed my reaction times and rendered the verdict: “Your data suggest little to no automatic preference between European American and African American.”

Well, this was a different kind of shock. Among test-takers of all races, 70 percent show a preference for whites, and only 17 percent fall into my neutral category. My first impulse was to feel the opposite of embarrassed — should I be proudly giving lessons in conquering bias to Mr. Gladwell and the IAT pioneers? — but on reflection I ended up feeling a bit like Mr. Gladwell: creepy. The whole notion of being judged this way seemed weird. Why should you feel either embarrassed or proud when you’re not sure what produced your score, how you could improve it or how it affects your behavior?

People who hold egalitarian conscious attitudes in the face of automatic White preferences may able to function in non-prejudiced fashion partly by making active efforts to prevent their automatic White preference from producing discriminatory behavior. However, when they relax these active efforts, these non-prejudiced people may be likely to show discrimination in thought or behavior.

I believe this is fascinating, however it is also very scary because it address a larger problem at hand, how can we have a equal and peaceful society, when our inherent bias is favorable towards one group? This obviously would lead to feelings of being disenfranchised, and unworthiness, exasperating problems of an already majority unwealthy group. Also its undeniable a systematic racism is occurring but its occurring within US! ALL OF US!. So what do we do? this is where i'm left scratching my head.

Anyway i thought i'd share this with you all, Thank you for your time.

(post by BaltimoreRioter removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: BaltimoreRioter

Very insightful post. Thank you for taking your time to add this to the conversation.
edit on 29-4-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Ignorance breeds ignorance. It starts at the child-hood level. My mom is racist, but she knows she is wrong for that and raised me otherwise in that sense.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:41 AM
link   
Reading the title, thought it was saying what I know is true, that most races have racial bias towards their own race, but they have turned this into a study saying, that most races favor whites. Always some kind of a put down on whites.

And quite frankly I'm sick of it. Nothing could be further from the truth.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

Why is that a "put down" on whites? This is a problem that is inherent, all races favor European descent, this is not making any conclusions as to why. We as a people need to figure out why. you cannot have a progressing society with the us and them mentality.
edit on 29-4-2015 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Racism is tribal instinct. It's a millennia old genetic trait essential to survival in a time when outsiders were likely to conquer and either murder or enslave you and your community. As a fundamental survival instinct it is very powerful and cannot be suppressed over the course of a few generations.

This is why different cultures segregate themselves within foreign countries, and ultimately, why multiculturalism will fail. It doesn't make you a bigot, a racist, or a xenophobe. It's just a remnant from an age long ago, when your instinct did what It needed to, to ensure your survival. Subconscious self-preservation.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:10 AM
link   
a reply to: IpoopThere4IAM

Why do other races favor whites?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:20 AM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

Maybe whites are just a bit sneakier, they'd rather come bearing gifts and proposing allegiances to obtain the resources they desire. You lose men, material & supplies in outright combat. Why not just play nice to get what you want? Didn't the pilgrims buy the entire Manhattan island for a few shiny gemstones? I'd rather trade with someone than be decapitated by them.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: IpoopThere4IAM

It's subconscious even folks who say they dislike whites, favor them subconsciously, further self image is destroyed by this subconscious mechanism.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:30 AM
link   
i tried to take the race test, and got thru the first section with no problem. but then they pulled up a screen where it said

african american
or
bad

european
or
good

and i was supposed to make some kind of choices based on that. i thought what the hell is this. so i pressed the space bar to see what they were gonna show, and they started popping up the same pictures from before, of blacks and whites. but i was supposed to press the e key for african american or bad, and the i key for european or good. that bugged me so i quit the test. why would i want to answer "bad" if it had to also include "african american" . what is it, brainwashing or something?

i mean no wonder people are picking european more often, cause when they see the pic of an african american, they don't want to choose "bad" . doh

weird test.

edit on 29-4-2015 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 03:29 AM
link   
That does strike me as weird. ^^

In fact, this whole test and its results strikes me as weird. I would also expect the results Unity_99 expected and I'm deeply skeptical of this.

Where's the skeptics on this one?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:33 AM
link   
a reply to: undo

The test is provocative, at that point and by refusing to finish you have proved the results of the test, you are not comfortable answering those questions because you don't like what you might say if forced to answer the question, be honest and open minded at least enough to take the test, it's a Harvard study. Regardless we need to figure out a way to fix this if you have a better test please come up with it, we need to change , do we continue to allow riots to happen? Do we continue to allow police to go unhinged on society? or do we address the issue at hand ? Do we not accept a piece of information because it a not palatable?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 08:57 AM
link   

If the test really asked what Undo said it did, the test can no longer be accredible as it will pit morals against fast judgement and ALWAYS receive flawed results.

Had those been the questions I was asked at any point in time, I would have stopped at that moment knowing the test is flawed. Thinking such comparisons are EVER ok is a flawed study to find flawed individuals

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   

European is more than white, and a mixture of different ancient races, so that Italian relates both to Aryan and to Sumar. So on a spiritual note, maybe its our spirit recognizing different blends.

On a physical note, maybe its the banking system primarily dominating the haves and have nots. Which in itself is the responsibility of average people to rise to occasion and restructure their towns and areas into equality and freedom.

They put truth out even for our kids, such as Smallville and all the tests of superman to become Michael, defeat his inner dragon, and work with his town.

I think we're all supposed to get this, and its pretty sad to live in such a divided world were everyone is enabling this tiny group of predators at the top, playing along with their dreams, not creating their own dreams or working on behalf of their children.

Every race has beauty, and graces ,and its time to rise to the occasion.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: undo
i tried to take the race test, and got thru the first section with no problem. but then they pulled up a screen where it said

african american
or
bad

european
or
good

and i was supposed to make some kind of choices based on that. i thought what the hell is this. so i pressed the space bar to see what they were gonna show, and they started popping up the same pictures from before, of blacks and whites. but i was supposed to press the e key for african american or bad, and the i key for european or good. that bugged me so i quit the test. why would i want to answer "bad" if it had to also include "african american" . what is it, brainwashing or something?

i mean no wonder people are picking european more often, cause when they see the pic of an african american, they don't want to choose "bad" . doh

weird test.

Haven't taken it, nor do I want to. But from what you're saying it sounds like the test is asking loaded questions. I'm not surprised. It's becoming harder and harder to find open racial prejudice in whites so now they have to find ways to manufacture it.

This whole topic disgusts me - it seems they want to screen people's thoughts so people with an unconscious preference for whites don't get into certain positions. This is literally thought crimes. At some point in the future, everyone will have to think liberal all the time, or be put in a mental institution for re-education.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: peskyhumans

Take the dang test people stop shooting holes this is a widely accepted study from Harvard I'm on a cell I'll pull up the abstract criteria when I get the oppurtunity. This isn't manufactured and frankly I need more understanding of the study. Take the test

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:40 PM
link   
The test isn't asking loaded questions, its asking you to go as FAST as possible. You have to hit "I" or "E" your keyboard. If you read the instructions before each series of questions you'll understand.

For example on the left you have "White Good" and right you have "Black Bad"

Now they'll show you a series of words. Good/positive words you have to sort to the "White Good" side and bad/negative to the "Back Bad" side.

Then, they'll flip it and you'll see "White Bad" and "Black Good". You'll be asked to sort words into "good/bad" as quickly as possible.

The test is seeing if your subconscious is influenced by racial words in connection to what we perceive as good/bad. I found it quite a fascinating test, very thought provoking and well thought out.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Are we really asking ourselves this? Why do you think? Unlike many other races, white individuals are the last to resort to violence.

So maybe people know that when they approach a white person, their lives isn't at stake? That the chances of being robbed blind isn't as viable when dealing with race X?

Blacks commit 53% of all murder, despite being only 12% of the population. -FBI

The truth is hard to accept.

(I'm not white, so don't even go there.)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: TechniXcality
a reply to: peskyhumans

Take the dang test people stop shooting holes this is a widely accepted study from Harvard I'm on a cell I'll pull up the abstract criteria when I get the oppurtunity. This isn't manufactured and frankly I need more understanding of the study. Take the test

It's an implicit-association test, the flaws in it are inherent in the fact it's an implicit-association test.

Several studies have demonstrated the results of such tests can be influenced via what a person sees before taking it. Furthermore, the conclusion of such tests is subject to cultural meanings and simple associations. A person who has seen all male nurses will more likely associate 'man' and 'nurse' and vice versa. Culturally many societies have an inbuilt dislike or distrust of the dark. Furthermore people have piles of strange thoughts and associations every day that are nothing to do with anything particularly special. There is many other things that could be said I guess and some of these points may be in the actual study.

As a side note, there really is no such thing as a 'widely accepted Harvard study' in most instances. In hard sciences there are widely accepted things, but this type of thing isn't a hard science. We're not measuring gravity or investigating a equations ... we're taking a pile of data and applying some deductive reasoning as to the possibilities of that data. One possibility is that this technique unveils hidden bias in some or all people, but that's just one possibility in the same way a Rorschach test has the possibility of tapping into our sub-conscious ... or not given that the widely used Rorschach test is now considered to be unreliable pseudoscience. Take from that what you will.

Unclear methods should not be used as indicators for something as sensitive as racial prejudice IMO.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join