It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the SCOTUS decides to legalize gay marriage, will the states secede?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Supreme Court to Hear Argument about fay marriage today.

If the supreme court decides to legalize gay marriage for the whole USA I think the state I live in (Texas) will fight it. I'm not sure what they would be able to do about it besides try to secede From the union. I predict this will cause a HUGE uproar if they legalize it. What says you???
edit on 4/28/2015 by stellawayten because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/28/2015 by stellawayten because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: stellawayten

Not sure, but am I the only one that thinks Ginsburg is a lesbian?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Zero.

You have to be joking with this OP.

Regardless what some believe, only a minority oppose gay marriage.

SCOTUS protecting same sex marriage is the right thing to do.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Well, first of all, no.

Civil unions are fine as long as all of the legal privileges and punishments are maintained.

There is no need to call it "marriage", to repeatedly insist upon calling it "marriage" collapses the entire logical argument and makes it seem like an attack on religion.

In the end, the reason it won't occur at the federal level is because the DOJ won't allow spousal privilege to be expanded so the word "marriage" itself is actually off the table for legal purposes anyway.
edit on 28-4-2015 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
The title say "succeed", so I was wondering what you were asking about what states success would be - but I see that you meant "secede" to which I would say - it's the state's right to secede (or at least it used to be), but why would you secede over legalizing gay marriage? I may lean a little to the right, but I don't understand why we as a country would have any argument against two adults loving each other and enjoying the same benefits and pitfalls of being married.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Yes. States will succeed.It may take a while, but they'll eventually succeed. Hopefully they don't view a short term failure as the end, and they can get it together to finally succeed.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6
Yes. States will succeed.It may take a while, but they'll eventually succeed. Hopefully they don't view a short term failure as the end, and they can get it together to finally succeed.

lol

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:31 PM
link   

I have always feared that I myself may succeed.

link   

originally posted by: tallcool1
it's the state's right to secede (or at least it used to be)

Slightly off/tangential to the topic, but Abraham Lincoln and the events precipitating the American Civil War would disagree with you. In many ways, that event demonstrated that there really is no such thing as "state's rights" in the USA... it's all smoke and mirrors.

link   

I see what you did there, lol.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Illinois would succede if we didn't have Chicago bleeding us dry! I know that was off topic, I'm just sayin'...

Pretty sure I read somewhere that one of our boardering States gave us that City a 100 plus years ago. Wonder if we can give it back?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   

If the supreme court decides to legalize gay marriage for the whole USA I think the state I live in (Texas) will fight it. I'm not sure what they would be able to do about it besides try to succeed From the union. I predict this will cause a HUGE uproar if they legalize it. What says you???

I doubt very seriously that Texas would fight it, particularly in light of the fact that the state ban has already been ruled unconstitutional by a federal judge in 2014, ruled the same by a county probate judge just a couple of months ago, and two women in Austin were granted permission to bypass the ban and get married two days after that last ruling. There is a rather large and thriving gay population in Texas.

And I could be wrong, but your use of the word "succeed" doesn't seem to fit with the rest of your post. Succeed at what, exactly? Is it possible that you meant "secede" instead? As in separate from the rest of the Union? Just a wild guess; my bad if that is not in fact what you meant.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Well, Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation kind of overshadows his absolutely illegal ignoring of the states rights to secede - even taking the country into it's bloodiest conflict in terms of American lives. People seem to think the Civil War was about freeing the slaves. It wasn't. It was about not allowing the southern states to lawfully secede as was their right.

That right still exists today AFAIK, but I would bet that there will never be any state allowed to secede - not even Texas.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tallcool1
That right still exists today AFAIK, but I would bet that there will never be any state allowed to secede - not even Texas.

Which raises the question: If a "right" is not recognized by those in power, can it still be considered a right?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Most of the states that would even consider such a thing couldn't succeed without federal funds which they would be cut off from.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: stellawayten
Supreme Court to Hear Argument about fay marriage today.

If the supreme court decides to legalize gay marriage for the whole USA I think the state I live in (Texas) will fight it. I'm not sure what they would be able to do about it besides try to succeed From the union. I predict this will cause a HUGE uproar if they legalize it. What says you???

You are probably a Libertarian super patriot right? Lots of freedom for people you agree with?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Texas is self-sustaining. We could secede if we needed to. But seceding just because of a gay marriage ban being overturned is just a silly idea. Good for a chuckle, though.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Have you ever been to texas? I can guarantee you almost every person I know would have a heart attack if it goes thru.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:05 PM
link   

No. No states will secede. The only people who entertain such ideas are the far right crazies like Alex Jones.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:07 PM
link   
a reply to: tigertatzen

You overlooked the first word in my post "most".

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join