It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Portland (Maine) bans smoking e-cigarettes in public places

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   
It's all about control and money. There's no better way to show that you have power than by banning something. I have to wonder if the State has put a bug in Portland's ear about this ban. Tobacco sales are going down and the States still want their settlement money. I'd say this more than anything is driving the ban on e-cigs.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: sdcigarpig
It makes alot of sense. People do not like smoking and thus they ban such. The industry decided to come out with something new and instead of waiting for people to complain the government decided that it is better to just ban such before the people cry out.

It makes alot of sense, cause a person who smokes, could use the argument that if you are going to allow for a person to vape, then one surely should make accomidations for those who smoke. And this is only going to be the tip of the iceberg as it were, as it leads up to the question about the current trend where people are wanting to legalize pot.

No, it only makes sense when you knee jerk react like the government did. Anyone who knows anything about vaping knows that vaporizing is COMPLETELY different than smoking.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stonecutter45
a reply to: greencmp

Ban yoga pants !?!? NOOOOOO

As for the OP , I hate the smell of cigarettes myself but would use some of those E-Cig flavors as an air freshener , they smell wonderful .

ETA: Let's either ban or regulate the amount of perfume and cologne women and men may wear . Some women and men bathe themselves in perfume/cologne and it is sometimes so thick I feel like I am going to smother . Not long ago while out to eat , the wife and I asked our waitress if we could move tables because the young girl at the next table had perfume on so thick I could taste it .

I agree! Let's ban Ax body spray.

edit on 28-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
It's all about control and money. There's no better way to show that you have power than by banning something. I have to wonder if the State has put a bug in Portland's ear about this ban. Tobacco sales are going down and the States still want their settlement money. I'd say this more than anything is driving the ban on e-cigs.

I pointed this whole political mess out to ATS BS team and well.. crickets... How awesomely ironic is that..

I agree with you and to prove your point I will leave this video..

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

if you want ban the smoking of of e-cigarettes because it gives a bad example to Teenagers... then they should ban gys together because that is an even worse example to show Teenagers IMO.

Watch me get attacked for this one.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:33 PM
link   
a reply to: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Well considering what you just said is rather bigoted, you deserve it.
edit on 28-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: scattergun
It's a shame. I really thought the voters of Portland Maine were far more intelligent. Must be those long Winters effecting their Brain Matter. I suggest one of those political masterminds take on a few real issues such as the lack of toilet paper in public bathrooms, or fixing potholes, snow removal and improved postal service...

Many things get passed without the voters input. City officials do it all the time. I think it should be illegal. They can do the research and put forth their opinions etc., but the voters should decide. The problem is, City Councilpeople spend all their time thinking up stinking little laws for everything under the sun, somehow justifying their positions and salaries, that the voters would be inundated with hundreds of stupid laws come voting day.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ThichHeaded

everything is ALWAYS about the buck..always.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:58 AM
link   
They'll never ban vaping where I live but I sure wish some of the local stores I frequent would ban it. A couple times a week I head to a shop to play a card game, and without fail I will end up playing against people who like to sit there and vape. It wouldn't be so bad except I really don't want to smell whatever scent they demand I do, and when they blow the vapor in your face and act like it's ok because "it's just water vapor" so I shouldn't have a problem with it, it really pisses me off.

If it were up for a vote, I would vote to ban it indoors in an instant. If you want to vape, do it outside with the smokers.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: autopat51
a reply to: ThichHeaded

everything is ALWAYS about the buck..always.

Ya no kidding..
I started Vaping on the 25th of last month.. within the 1st 3 days I was smelling the politics and I was only trying to learn about vaping..

I like to call this mess the birth and death of an honest free market today.. Any idiot can open a shop.. I have seen a couple idiots who shouldn't have shops but do.. Now the state wants to screw vapers because they are leaving cigs.. which I smoked for 30 yrs or so.. Because they are loosing an ass load of money because people are choosing to go to a better alternative to smoking cigarettes...

Oh well.. If this kicks off and they tax the crap out of it.. This will not be closed like they think.. These vape systems are so simple to make that it will be open source and underground and the state will not be able to do anything about it unless they ban PG, VG, and nic..

The reason I havent started a post about the politics of this game is because I suck at typing and My wording wouldnt be stellar.. so I just let things go like this.. tidbits here and there..
edit on 4/29/2015 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:12 AM
link   
Co-worker makes his own vape oil and rebuilds his own coils, buys fancy little rigs with high capacity batteries and the like...

So I guess they can tax it all they want, it won't really make a difference to the users who care most.

This is just another perfect example of why I think voting should be done online. Yes, there's a lot of security risks that would need to be worked out- but then we could at least have regular votes that don't involve shutting down the city for a day so everyone can go to a building and mark down pieces of paper.

This could have been something to be voted on- and I'd have voted against it. And every single other new law. We have too many of those.
That system would also open the doorway to citizen proposed law. I could propose we fix the stupid inspection sticker system, and others could propose various solutions, and then people could vote on which solution they'd like to see, which would then be up for a public vote. It would actually give these idiot politicians something to do, while giving some power back to the people.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

I was in the hospital when I was younger and well I was to be discharged the next day. Someone came into my room with a bucket of pine sol mixed with water and began mopping the floor filling the room with the odor. I went home sicker than I was went I was admitted claiming I was fine just to get out of the room! And, I was sick for weeks afterwards. I still run out of businesses when I smell the stuff!
Can we ban it??
My son had asthma when he was younger and well there's a requirement for the kids to take swim lessons in grade school. I found my son not wanting to go to school on the days that he had those classes and finally asked him. He told me he was always feeling sick when he was in the pool. Meanwhile he was bringing home his swimming trunks for me to wash and I was handling them when I went to wash them. I'm allergic to chlorine and well by the time those mandatory swim classes were over my hands were blistered so badly I didn't ever want to do any dishes or much of anything else that required hands. They wouldn't let him opt out of the swim classes by the way!
Can we at least have the schools allow the kids to opt out if they find it's affecting them badly? After all they are finding that spending time regularly in a chlorinated swimming pool leaves about as much damage to the lungs as heaving smoking does!
There's some things that people just don't like to smell but are forced to all around! We seem to have to tolerate just about all of them and are expected to tolerate those that genuinely make us ill.
Why should cigarettes and e-cigs be any different again???

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

It's less about the smell (though that's a factor) than it is how people act. Like I said, when people vape and blow the vapor in my face then say I shouldn't have a problem with it because it's just water vapor, I have a problem... it's one of the few things in life that seriously pisses me off. It's the same thing with cigs, when people blow the smoke on you is when it gets to be a problem. Maybe that's just something I should get over, but if it ever came up for a vote here I would be as petty over it as I could.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
E-Cigs are toxic - full of heavy metals, nicotine and formaldehyde - kids are mixing the fluid with energy drinks for quick highs. They are promoted towards kids, with fruit and milkshake type flavors. They are no safer than cigarettes and should be outlawed. If a child drinks the liquid, it is highly poisonous - and the labels and containers are easy for a child to be attracted to and open! Just because they don't turn your lungs black doesn't make them not dangerous - the second hand vapors are not safe. People thought cigarettes were once safe and smoked them in restaurants and work places - I hope people soon smarten up about these as well.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Grimm

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: CINY8

E-Cigs are toxic - full of heavy metals, nicotine and formaldehyde - kids are mixing the fluid with energy drinks for quick highs.

More Testing needs to be done, as they are not fully regulated yet. The ingredients consist of PG,VG, and Nicotine of course.

They are promoted towards kids, with fruit and milkshake type flavors. They are no safer than cigarettes and should be outlawed.

They are promoted towards people who intend to quit smoking. Many of my fellow teens have benefited from E-cigs to help them stop smoking.

If a child drinks the liquid, it is highly poisonous - and the labels and containers are easy for a child to be attracted to and open!

Yes it is highly toxic when consumed. Every bottle of E-juice ive come in contact with has a safety cap.

Just because they don't turn your lungs black doesn't make them not dangerous - the second hand vapors are not safe.

Safer than Cigarettes

People thought cigarettes were once safe and smoked them in restaurants and work places - I hope people soon smarten up about these as well.

They need to be tested/researched more. Agreed

edit on 30-4-2015 by frostie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: CINY8

hmmm.....
maybe we should ban gas cans and gas tanks also???
stupid kids have always done stupid things and they have found many interesting ways to get high...

E-cigs are as dangerous as cigarettes? Really?? Where's the studies to prove this? Or that either are more dangerous than the thousands of chemicals that are produced and added to the products we consume every day?

The US allows the use of many chemicals that are banned elsewhere, and its primary chemicals law has failed to keep up with thousands of chemicals currently in use, including the approximately 2,000 new chemicals introduced each year.

www.theguardian.com...

You sure they are more dangerous than the food we are expected to eat even??

Toxics “are still shockingly common in our food and everyday objects”, said Senator Jeff Merkley, a Democrat from Oregon.

www.theguardian.com...

Tell ya what I'll accept the ban on cigarettes and e-cigs AFTER they ban those same chemicals they find offensive in those items from all the other items that they are found in! Of course, then there will be very little to eat since most of the people bring up arsenic as one of the offensive chemicals and well that is in the tobacco for the same reason it's in most of our food... those pesticides that were once used contaminated the soil our food is grown in!

I do agree with you about the danger of the liquid around child but that is why there is a label on the liquid that says "Keep out of reach of children." The same label is found on most of the cleaning products under my sink! Can we ban those also? Heck the flouride in toothpaste is also toxic and mine carries the warning: " Keep out of reach of children under 6 years of age. If more than used for brushing is accidentally swallowed, get medical help or contact the poison control center right away." Flouride is also added to most water supplied by the cities and well that water is used in the production of most of the drinks available on the market along with alot of the food. So well, even it the child is using the toothpaste sparingly, how can one tell just how much a child is consuming of the stuff???

If they were really honestly attempting to remove as much of these toxic chemicals from our lives as possible I wouldn't be griping but to just pick out one or two things and commence to blaming all these health problems on just a few things is just scapegoating and diverting our attention from the real issue.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join