It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How Do The American People Criminalize Campaign Donations & Lobbying?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 08:31 PM
link   
I need public bill for dummies
btw should I dare to ask when is the last time u voted?

anywho to ur issue

Specific suggestions included:

Real time disclosure transparent of political donations (Transparency International Australia).
• With regard to political donations, the creation of one code and one set of rules for all candidates in all jurisdictions.  In the event that campaign funding is regulated and public funding is introduced, serious consideration should be given to the NYC Campaign Finance Board model (Local Government Association of Queensland).
• An independent committee to monitor all government advertising campaigns and ensure that public funds be spent for a reasonable purpose (Action on Smoking and Health Australia).
• Donations to be made anonymously and managed by a statutory body separate to the party system, ensuring that individuals cannot seen to be purchasing influence of a party (Mr Paul Grealish).
• That persons registered as lobbyists be prohibited from organising or arranging the organisation of fundraising activities for MPs, political candidates or parties and rewriting of the Ministerial Handbook to provide a clear statement of the Government’s expectations of the conduct of Ministers in relation to political fundraising and the importance of transparency in all public activities  (Crime and Misconduct Commission).
• Recommendation of model under the Canada Elections Act which sets a maximum contribution from individuals of $1000, a ban on contributions from corporations and limits campaign expenditure based on the number of registered voters in an electorate (The Australian Collaboration).
• Recommended consideration of the Maine Clean Election Fund and the Arizona Clean Election Act  (Community Alliance for Responsible Planning Redlands Inc (template submission)).
edit on 1-5-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

I don't get this I worked at a vote count job during one election (in AU)
during manual counts u are actually watched like dog u can't have anything on table no sleeves no bags u can only go for break during restricted time
there is security check going in an out they check ur bags
they even pay good why go through all this trouble to be dodgy

it is hard for me to imagine dodging the votes

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

Are you suggesting that voter fraud doesn't exist?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

not at all actually
I like Obama but I think that is how we got elected
here in AU would say it is not so likely or almost pointless (trying to figure out why i have these contradicting thoughts)
reading opposing views (is a confirmation only to my believe that they are dodged however personal life experience contradicts that) so what do u think
that is ultimately bringing us closer to answers about what can be done maybe

specially with my unfamiliarity with all three different political structures AU, USA, home

edit on 2-5-2015 by MimiSia because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 01:00 AM
link   
a reply to: FaceMyBook

Free speech is vital to democracy and lobbying is the most vital part of the slender protection we have against the tyranny of the majority. Why on earth would anyone want to eradicate campaign contributions?

I'd put voters and Jews/media as the two greatest factors in policy. I guess the #1 problem is public sector expansion. I may be wrong, but I find it odd that you labeled your assertion as inarguable.

I guess the best way for you to change policy at a national level would be to solicit campaign contributions and run for office, which is a bit ironic given your views.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   
a reply to: FaceMyBook

Nothing will get done until blood is spilled in a revolution

N o t h I n g

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 07:16 AM
link   
a reply to: iLikeCIAnot

OK, since this is a conspiracy site....

Imagine for a second that one group of self-interested people gained control of the media. This gave them almost complete power to select the president and other officials and thereby control the USA, and the ability to funnel billions of dollars from poor Americans back to their home country in the Middle East. The only thing standing in their way was the possibility that by raising funds and paying for their own media campaign, a true American might, against the odds, become elected.

Might these same self-interested people start a campaign against lobbying etc. for the purpose of cementing their dominance over the American people?

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:15 AM
link   
a reply to: iLikeCIAnot

It could, theoretically, change- if the people stood together and demanded it.

But they're too dumb, and too easily controlled. The two party system has the majority bickering about nothing while the people in charge are out making things worse for the rest of us.

if the public could vote, things could get better without a full blown revolution- but I don't see it happening.

Sadly, these days, the majority of the population would die in said revolution. Simple starvation, the general population is too dumb to survive when the hand that feeds them is bitten. that is, of course, no accident.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Political contributions and big money influencing the government is not the failure.
The system is set up this way and anyone and everyone can play.
How did a poor black girl become Oprah? How did a half black dude that did not come from money win the highest office known to man? Michael Jordon is a billionaire, he didn't come from money either.
Capitalism has failed because we failed to participate. We allowed unscrupulous, unethical people to excel in this game while we just sat back and complained.
Thing is people would rather have endless discussions debating what is wrong. It never ends and there is never a valid solution other than whining and carrying signs destroying stuff.
It is easier to carry a sign, start a fire, complain than it is to get and education, start a business and becoming the change.
The really ridiculous part is this government will even help your attempt at getting closer to that 1%. The government will assist you through the Small Business Association.
People, the game is open for all to participate all you have to do is reach out and grab it.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: MrNeo

I think I really like ur reply and then I kind of feel i really don't. weird
will see better if u or others elaborate further

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 11:22 AM
link   
ok so we have here let's say 10 assuming Americans with above average intelligence with at least some type of determination

yet you can't agree on one complete point of view ..that is a conclusion in itself

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Surprisingly I never went on my spiel in this thread so here it goes, not that I expect anyone to agree with me.

originally posted by: FaceMyBook
Campaign contributions & lobbying, inarguably the two greatest factors in policy & the #1 detriment to humanity.

To me, eradicating these practices is the only true first step the people can take against oppression. What kind of petition needs to be started? How can you change policy on a national level without being killed or shut down within days?

I have no knowledge of the law, be kind.

It is impossible to outlaw because the politicians who benefit won't vote against their interests. Even people who get elected that say they'll do so won't vote in meaningful campaign finance reform because it means they lose the power of big donations.

Instead the way to fix it, which politicians will vote for is for the American people to give their representatives more money. You can think of the salary of a congressman as the funding for the peoples lobby. When we give them $200k/year but the corporations are giving them $500k/year who do you think they're going to listen to? What happens when we give them $1 million/year but the corporations are still only giving $500k/year? The best part of this is that unlike a corporation which has to spend all of it's money itself the peoples funding is distributed across 160 million tax payers. If every American citizen spend an additional $10 on their tax bill that would be an additional $3,102,804 to each member of congress. If a corporation needs to buy 10 votes, they now have to spend an additional 31 million to get their way while you only had to spend $10, more than a 3 million to 1 spending advantage (for every dollar you spend they have to spend 3 million to maintain parity).

Corporations cannot keep up with this difference in ability to spend, and it would lead to them losing influence while the people would get their money back in improved legislation. I bet that for $50 (plus inflation) spent per person per year, corporate lobbying could be made prohibitively expensive forever. It's a pretty good bargain in my opinion. $50 isn't even 1/2 of 1% of a tax increase for a person at the poverty line.
edit on 5-5-2015 by Aazadan because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 5 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   
a reply to: Aazadan

Sounds genius, how do we get started?

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: FaceMyBook

Sounds genius, how do we get started?

In two years of proposing the idea here, that is the first positive response I've ever gotten to the idea. Anyways the way to get started would be to convince your representatives that such an amendment isn't political suicide... that might be a tall order considering the heat they already get for their annual raises (but notice how many vote for those raises... this would be the same).

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Welcome to abovetopsecret?

The conditioning of Americans run deep & slavery seems to be a natural human tendency whether it's to a King or to the Corporotacracy.

posted on May, 17 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MimiSia

the federal bank

The Federal Reserve is not the property of the federal government. It is a private conglomerate coincidentally titled "Federal." This private bank funds all the bubble industries by printing money and lending to multinational corporations, tremendously in control over the vast consumer product production. They get away with it by buying the politicians.

Therefore, it would be prudent to adopt an amendment that seeks to eliminate the monetary influence multinational corporations are able to exert over elected officials.

Maybe then we can begin revaluing everyhting and freeing up the land for the pursuit of personal opportunity.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join