It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I call for the invasion of America

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: tadaman
So keep practicing. If you doubt me, take this to an literature teacher and bring up my points and ask them what they think.
SATIRE is obvious and as such powerful.

I'm not a #ing writer mate, I'm a 28 year old who lays #ing gas pipes and got thrown our of school when I was 15. Sorry if my attempt isn't up to your standard. You can show me all the information in world, I'll still disagree with you.

Some people agree its satire, some don't - for # sake, please, lets leave it now yeah

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:51 AM
link   
a reply to: n00bUK

Don't worry it is satire.
I bet every Brit got it.
Another example of British humour misunderstood.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: boymonkey74

Don't worry it is satire.
I bet every Brit got it.
Another example of British humour misunderstood.

Thank you buddy

**edit** no point provoking
edit on 29-4-2015 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:01 AM
link   

It doesn't mean anything though our humour is different than any others and visa versa.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:09 AM
link   
It still amazes me the "knee-jerk" patriotic postings of some members, some 7/8 & 9 pages into the thread. Some people just cannot be helped. (or reasoned with)

"Naw uh!! Oh no he dint!!! He jus' done goofed! Ain't nobody gon' talk about Murca like THAT an' git 'way with it! Daaaayum!"
edit on 29-4-2015 by socketdude because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Hey, I am not the most educated either, I am a freaking bar man,

The thing is if you are NOT a writer dont call people dumb for not "Getting it" if it is actually not written properly,

Its not a matter of british humor, its something as standard as grammar,

I apreciate the actual message and like I said would have agreed with it, we arent stereotypical anything waving american flags, grow up on that

It was F off offensive when the air of superiority got in mix, dont call people dumb when technically you could have been more gracious and were off as far as form,

Keep it up though, you have an eye for satire, and it really is one of the most difficult forms of comedy and commentary

Sorry if I was a dick, but be a little less adversarial and people wont respond in kind

Have a good one
edit on 4 29 2015 by tadaman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

The thing is if you are NOT a writer dont call people dumb for not "Getting it" if it is actually not written properly,

I apreciate the actual message and like I said would have appreciated it,

It was F off offensive when the air of superiority got in mix, dont call people dumb when technically you could have been more gracious and were off,

Keep it hp though, you have an eye for satire, and it really is one of the most difficult forms of comedy and commentary

Sorry if I was a dick, but be a little less adversarial and people wont respond in kind

Have a good one

lol!!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: tadaman

You can waste all your words but still satire is in the eye of the beholder. Especially when it is not presented as literature or has any connection with writing other then it uses written words. (Like fb does too) But if you want to perceive it that desperately as literature you should know literature is part of a culture and every culture has it's own habits and customs. So perceive it as the culture of the writer. As this is a site that is used internationally one shouldn't use it's own culture as reference and certainly don't play out the rules of that culture to judge it.

That is what is giving most problems. That's why those guys satirical offending the Muslims with their cartoons were nominated for the freedom of speech price while that other dude in France who is satirical offending the Jews is charged/prosecuted/investigated* for discrimination. (* = I didn't follow up so I don't know). Both are just offending people for the sake of fun&entertainment both are handled differently because of the views of the culture they are in.

As we are on a conspiracy site reading this OP it is so obvious not getting it is... Ignorant. The only thing the OP forgot was putting some sanctions in.. Because well you know that will teach them.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dumbass
As we are on a conspiracy site reading this OP it is so obvious not getting it is... Ignorant..

Funny that one of the smartest things someone's said in this thread is by user, "Dumbass".

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:16 AM
link   

ALSO, people who agree with him and as such applaud poorly written material...(puke on you)

You can agree with the intended message, but considering it was more cheap shots at the US, and THAT is what you thought the message was says allot...., BUT to offer up amateurish crap as "good" cheapens the work of people who write satire (hardest form of literature) and makes their efforts worth not. You agree with zinging the intended target or the EXPLAINED message so you pretend it made sense. Learn what satire is. ALSO, you looked like idiots by scolding people who called him on it. YOU LOOK DUMB.

People did not take issue with the OP being critical of the US, if you noticed the first posts and MANY throughout, the issue taken is about it being poorly written.

"har har, the US if full of morons, OR I apologize for our morons"....while you look like asses for defending horribly written material .

PLEASE. READ.

To be fair, tadaman, I equally criticized your thread in response to this thread and was treated the in the same manner. Between the two of your posts I wanted to go grammar, style, structure, and spelling Nazi on ATS. I can understand mistakes, I make them all the time, but entire posts that are poorly written will be lost on most.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:22 AM
link   
a reply to: AllSourceIntel

Yeah I tried reading his original post on his anti-american riddle thread, I really tried, I got about 1/4 of the way through the OP and gave up. Completely unintelligible. Even the team behind cracking the Nazis enigma machine would have trouble I'd imagine.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Ooohhh I will have a Tom Collins and two pints of bitter please

I loved being a Barman.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Good point, when we're repeatedly being told that the post is British 'humour'. Apparently when you post a humorous thread in Britain, it is funnier if you are mean-spirited afterwards.

edit on bu302015-04-29T10:51:59-05:0010America/ChicagoWed, 29 Apr 2015 10:51:59 -050010u15 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

I apreciate the actual message and like I said would have agreed with it, we arent stereotypical anything waving american flags, grow up on that

It was F off offensive when the air of superiority got in mix, dont call people dumb when technically you could have been more gracious and were off as far as form,

Keep it up though, you have an eye for satire, and it really is one of the most difficult forms of comedy and commentary

Have a good one

I didn't once call anybody dumb mate, I just said I expected some people not to get it. Then a member said I thought I was above people, which was a really random comment given the conversation that lead up to him saying that. Its not my fault people felt the way the did because they got on their high horses but were wrong. All I said was, it's satire, then BOOM, here we are lol

@dumbass; You need to change your name mate, you're far from dumb haha. the silliest thing about this argument is that for me to cater the thread to most Americans, I should have put a smiley face sticking its tongue out on the end - then they would have got it a bit faster instead of debating what is and isn't satire.
edit on 29-4-2015 by n00bUK because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:39 AM
link   
A simple test would be to post your post in other forums on the internets, some U.K, some U.S., some global and see how many get it and how many do not.

By the way, were your serious early in the post when you said ATS typically does not get your satire?

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Grimpachi

Flogging dead horses is what we are all about here mate!!!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:50 AM
link   
I don't think anyone should be putting any boots on the ground but maybe a no fly zone would be more appropriate at this time

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Bravo!! I'm having a good chuckle at that, well written and perfectly apt!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel
A simple test would be to post your post in other forums on the internets, some U.K, some U.S., some global and see how many get it and how many do not.

By the way, were your serious early in the post when you said ATS typically does not get your satire?

Why, that is a genius idea. I wonder why the OP didn't think of this test? Whilst he's at it, he could also print it out before he posts it and canvass the local neighborhood - that way, he can ascertain if his humor is local to his area only.

Wait! Here's another great idea, why doesn't the OP IM every member on ATS and test the "gag" out in private messages first? That would be a more accurate assessment.

Great idea's guys, great. It's a real idea's-fest here. Wow, the cogs are really in overdrive now. This is great. Just great.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join