It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cancer patient with a week to live flees Kansas for-profit Medicaid for life-saving surgery in Memph

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:06 AM
link   

A high school senior who was rejected by Kansas Gov. Sam Brownback’s (R) reformed for-profit state Medicaid system said that he was just days away from dying when he fled the state and found treatment at a hospital in Tennessee.

Just last week, 18-year-old Levi Ross told KMBC that it had been a month since doctor’s discovered that he had a type of spinal cancer called epitheliod sarcoma and already the tumor had doubled in size.

Ross’ doctors advised him to get treatment out of state, but after not responding for weeks, his insurance provider rejected the advice.

Cancer patient with a week to live flees Kansas for-profit Medicaid for life-saving surgery in Memphis

Just as we were warned, there are "death panels" in the American health care system. But those "death panels" are the insurance companies themselves! They're the ones who decide whether to pay for a treatment or not.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Welcome to the KantKare, sorry but your surgery is unnecessary even though it will save your life.
It will not save us money however so tough luck kid.
No death panels, really?
Bet you couldn't convince him of it.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
For profit.

The most evil combination of words in language.

Let us pray to the Profit Gods.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: FaceMyBook
For profit.

The most evil combination of words in language.

Let us pray to the Profit Gods.

I agree. Health care should never be for-profit. It's literally giving people a financial incentive to let other people die. I don't mind cosmetic surgery being for-profit though, except in cases of burn victims, cancer patients, amputees, and similar situations.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   
Sadly this happens all the time, Insurance companies move as slowly as possible, when your given only weeks to live, or a diagnosis that is terminal. Its all about profit to these Insurance Companies. I dont see how these people can even sleep at night, knowing that they have just stolen the only possible way for the some people to get the proper care that may save there life, or at the very least give them a few more years if its a terminal case.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Glassbender777

There are a lot of people who don't care about the plights of others. And a lot of others who enjoy hurting other people. I see it as the "I got mine so screw you" mentality. Remember, there are people who eagerly sell tobacco products to kids just to make a dollar.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Haha, I called the death panels! If the surgery isn't 'cost effective' (save more money letting you die rather than treating your illness for your lifetime, whatever it may be) you won't get it.

When profits trumps all, human lives mean little.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
mm hm! I've been trying to tell people - Kansas is swirling down the ...thing.

It's an economic fail.
Big time.

FAILED experiment (and I did not vote for any of it, or sign up for any of this). I hate it. It's asinine, and stupid.

edit on 4/28/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Well,well,well. WELCOME TO THE AMERICAN HEALTHCARE SYSTEM. It's always been that way and your just begining to see the mix of health and insurance companies do not and should not be entertained. Stop blaming Obamacare or any fancy care name you want to put on it you've always had this system.
But what do I know the whole American system is based on "if you've got the money you get what you want, if not crawl away and die but don't bother us money people".
God forbid I hope the boy survives but I don't hold out much hope because that's the #ty system you hold high.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Isn't there some kind of international standard against this? I mean, they were perfectly fine with letting a kid die. It wasn't even an old man! Just a kid! Not that the old man would be tolerable, but ffs!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
i totally understand, ever since i was switched over to a similar system here in florida they have been cutting one thing after another, refusing subscriptions and all kinds of issues that i never had to deal with before.

for-profit medicaid is terrible compared to not-for-profit funded as crazy as it sounds, corporations ruin health care from what i've seen.

posted on May, 4 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
I put for profit health care at the same level of evil as the Holocaust. How many millions have died because money got in the way?

top topics

join