It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Baltimore Mom Deserves A Mother of the Year Award!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
a reply to: OpinionatedB
You're not the only one that's shared this with me.

Another horrorr story I heard was a child being taken away due to sever Gert. The only problem was the foster mom didn't play and documented the exact same symptoms that caused the child to be taken away. No apologies, no refund on attorneys fees. Just oops.

Back around the same time that happened to me, there were several cases that were absolute nightmares, one case even became a movie if I recall, but I cannot remember the name.

For me, I think it was my doctor that first called social services when I was pregnant.. he told me there were wealthy families who would adopt my child, and I had told him I was raising my own child..

It was after that I began having to deal with social services..

Now, short of simply being young, unmarried at the time and pregnant, I was not a bad kid. I had a 4.0 grade average which never once dropped below that, and a very high IQ (although none of that much helped with common sense at times... lol)

There was literally no reason I should have ever dealt with social services.. and it began before he was even born.. no one could have said I was a bad parent because I wasn't even a parent yet!

But back then, they were doing a lot of taking people's kids away.. I never complained about it, never hired a lawyer (not like I had money anyway) simply because I was too terrified of them.. terrified constantly they were going to just up and take him, regardless of anything I did!

But yeah.. there are a great many horror stories.. and it seems to have never gotten any better..

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
This whole thing isn't about honoring the memory of Freddie Grey it's a excuse for people to act out and be hoodlums. It's a culture of violence and ignorance. At least one parent had the ability to step up and put their kid in there place. Now if only there were more that followed suit. Civility isn't one of the back communities strong points.

Neither is it yours.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: JIMC5499
a reply to: enlightenedservant

You are referring to political leaders. I'm talking about "community leaders". There's a difference. Sometimes the "community leaders" are the same as the political leaders, but that's rare.

I'm talking about both. "Leader" means "the person who leads or commands a group, organization, or country."
That includes but isn't limited to church leaders, school board leaders, business organization leaders, and political leaders.

And actually you said :

A simple question. Why are there "Black Communities with Black leaders"? If that isn't racist, I don't know what is.

A political leader for a district is literally the person chosen by that district to lead them in s specific government function. So how is a political leader not a community leader? And why did you ignore the point I made about "representative democracies" being based on the concept of selecting leaders who represent their constituents?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:27 AM
link   
I can hear her now .... "you get your mutha f**kin skinny punk ass back home now.
I'm gonna whoop you so hard you aint gonna be able to sit down for weeks.
I don't care how old you is ... I'm gonna slap you silly boy.
And take off that stupid mask ... you ain't playing no 'Call Of Mutha F**kin Duty' !!!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: enlightenedservant Wow! Back at you! I told you I had a very personal experience with a rental house that three families who rented. All three temporary marriages broke up. One couple has a judgment of seven thousand dollars she will never pay back for the damages her kids did to the house while she was at work after her man ran off didn't pay his half of the bills. He hid so he could not be sued. Another couple owes me three thousand for running out on the lease and damages. Her man left her after she had a car wreck and she had to leave her job because of medical problems. He also hid and left no forwarding address and did not pay his legal obligation bills. This was a personally horrifying experience pushed on to me. I am not a humanitarian charity, I am a business trying to survive. This was a financially devastating thing that happened to my family. It was a crime. Three couples in one house spells out a patterned behavior in my book. Now, maybe this is a social economical cultural pocket of people in our society as a whole. Take sociology a college course. Sociologists group and categorize people scientifically on our planet. Now I don't care what color your skin is, I care about your attitude and behaviour. We have laws in our society to obey and respect. All of us need to behave and work to get along. Violent riots do not gain anyone's respect, this is call breaking the law. Disturbing the peace. It is an act of crime.

edit on 28-4-2015 by frugal because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That is the kind of parent who makes a difference

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: VoidHawk
You didn't watch the video but feel qualified to analyze it? Pedantic is the word that best describes you.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:42 AM
link   
I read the rest...and....?

They were all there for the Same reason..not to sing kumbaya..

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 11:49 AM
link   
a reply to: frugal

I actually took a sociology course in high school. But thanks for the suggestion.

And that doesn't change the basic concept. Stereotyping an entire collection of ethnic groups because of 3 or even 300 people is still stupid. It's the textbook example of bigotry. Perhaps you should read into that.

I've had far more than 3 white people call me the n-word, especially when I lived in a small city of 30,000 people with fewer than 300 "non-white people". Even in elementary school, the kids would point on a map to "Niger" & "Nigeria" and say "hey, that's you". In fact, the other multiracial & non-white people & I would defend each other because of the skinhead gangs we had to deal with. So does that mean I should consider all white people as racists because of that? Of course not. Because those people don't represent the ethnic groups that are classified as "white". Do you understand that basic concept? I feel like I can give 100 examples & it'll still go over some people's heads here.

There was a poster from the UK in this thread or in the longer sister thread to this one. He/she was saying how there shouldn't be "African" Americans because we should all just be "Americans". And I kept trying to stress to him or her that shift won't happen for a long time because race & racial divisions are too embedded in American culture. Well this is exactly what I was talking about (I hope he or she is reading this; if not, I'll feel a little dumb).
edit on 28-4-2015 by enlightenedservant because: i blame aliens or the chupacabra

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Where is Stephanie Rawlings-Blake's mother?

Who knows, maybe she could help Baltimore out by rattling her kid's cage.

source: www.infowars.com...

edit on 28-4-2015 by seasoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant

originally posted by: HawkeyeNation
What a great job mom! I am so glad that this was recorded. I've been saying it for years. The black community needs to hold themselves accountable for their actions if they want to see change. They can get angry that a young black man gets killed by the police (rightfully so) but they are going about it the wrong way. They choose a blind eye to the hooligans in street gangs.

It's funny you mention people turning a blind eye to "hooligans". When are your communities going to do something about "soccer hooliganism"? People get maimed & sometimes killed, businesses get destroyed, and there are always a lot of arrests. Sounds familiar right?

However with "soccer hooliganism", nobody blames the entire communities and ethnic groups. They blame the individuals committing the crimes & deal with those individuals in the court of law. And that's how it should be. Individuals are only responsible for their own actions. Shocking isn't it? When individuals riot, you find out which individuals did it & press charges. But when our communities riot, you blame and label all of us as a collective. Double standards, huh?

Ah ok I see what you are saying. I apologize for the grouping everyone in together like that. You are correct.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 03:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
a reply to: frugal

I actually took a sociology course in high school. But thanks for the suggestion.

And that doesn't change the basic concept. Stereotyping an entire collection of ethnic groups because of 3 or even 300 people is still stupid. It's the textbook example of bigotry. Perhaps you should read into that.

I've had far more than 3 white people call me the n-word, especially when I lived in a small city of 30,000 people with fewer than 300 "non-white people". Even in elementary school, the kids would point on a map to "Niger" & "Nigeria" and say "hey, that's you". In fact, the other multiracial & non-white people & I would defend each other because of the skinhead gangs we had to deal with. So does that mean I should consider all white people as racists because of that? Of course not. Because those people don't represent the ethnic groups that are classified as "white". Do you understand that basic concept? I feel like I can give 100 examples & it'll still go over some people's heads here.

There was a poster from the UK in this thread or in the longer sister thread to this one. He/she was saying how there shouldn't be "African" Americans because we should all just be "Americans". And I kept trying to stress to him or her that shift won't happen for a long time because race & racial divisions are too embedded in American culture. Well this is exactly what I was talking about (I hope he or she is reading this; if not, I'll feel a little dumb).

I'm not disagreeing with you on anything but with the N-word being tossed around in rap videos and the black culture it sort of desensitizes that word in my opinion. I for one know it's wrong but I think some may have a hard time due to the fact that a lot of celebrity blacks use it on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:54 PM
link   
a reply to: lovebeck

I saw this video this morning at work, and laughed. Like for 5 minutes straight. I completely agree with the Mom of the year idea. Lets look into finding an appropriate trophy or something.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Good for her with that. Happy it's gone viral and can set an example. There's enough chaos already whether set up or not that's going to have some consequences.

It's shameful to hear on ATS this day and age people grouping African Americans up such as with "Civility isn't one of the back communities strong points." Does she not give you an example otherwise?

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Iamthatbish

don't know if you found out yet or not, her name is Toya Graham.
Baltimore mom who smacked son during riots: "I don't want him to be a Freddie Gray"

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I stand with her.

If my child was stepping out like this - I'd do the same damn thing.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 06:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

originally posted by: andy1972

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs
a reply to: andy1972

The 1st amendment can justify it

No, no it can't.

The 1st amendment gives the right to the people to PEACEABLY ASSEMBLE (note the term PEACEABLY)..

That DOES NOT include throwing molotov cocktails, burning, looting, raiding, raping trash cans and a long line of etc's.

Thanks for ignoring the rest of the post.

Good form!

Hey Charlie, I get what you're saying. Just because he's masked doesn't make him a thug and I agree. But I also agree with what mother did and shows she:

a.) Is engaged enough to know he was up to no good

b.) the good sense to get up and do something about it.

From what I can see in the video, the mothers actions justifies the kid wearing a mask. Not to conceal himself from authorities or to prevent the ventilation of gas, smoke, etc.

Simply to hide from mom. Didn't work out too well huh? Him slinking away shows he's not a thug cause even a thug would be man enough to take the licks from mom (and ONLY mom). He was a kid who wanted to experience the moment with other kids trying to be cool. FAIL.

Oh out of curiousity. What did those protests you were part of achieve? Playing a rigged game using there rules is just silly. Reminds me of the movie Pool Hall Junkies.
edit on 28-4-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

You're right. Probably many of those kids were there simply because their friends were there..because their friends' moms had no idea or, sadly, didn't care.

His mom did. I hope he appreciates how truly lucky he is.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Something we often hear parents say is "He/She is acting out" or in the uk the expression is "Acting up"

His grammar is fine and correct.

He is OUT. He is acting like a thug.

Regardless why be a grammar nazi?

What we see in this video (and I dont need to watch it) is a woman trying to enforce behaviour control, rather than trying to understand what is inside her childs mind!

Huh? Trying to understand? She was trying to stop him from hurting himself and others, lest of all preventing him from going to jail!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Deaf Alien

Something we often hear parents say is "He/She is acting out" or in the uk the expression is "Acting up"

His grammar is fine and correct.

He is OUT. He is acting like a thug.

Regardless why be a grammar nazi?

What we see in this video (and I dont need to watch it) is a woman trying to enforce behaviour control, rather than trying to understand what is inside her childs mind!

Huh? Trying to understand? She was trying to stop him from hurting himself and others, lest of all preventing him from going to jail!

The comment I made was a cut and past job from a thread I'm putting together; about the way parents are bringing up children.
It may have been a little bit out of context without the rest of the thread, but it seemed relevant at the time

What I was getting at was - Instead of trying to understand their children, most parents try to enforce a method of behaviour control. That method being - Do as your TOLD or else!
Enforcing behaviour only works temporarily, its much better to try to understand WHY the child/teenager is acting out.
Maybe if the mother in that vid had taken the time to sit and listen to her child more often, and understand what was going on in his head, he may not have felt the need to be on the street.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join