It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Martial Law Baltimore - May 1861 - History repeats itself...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
So....here we are in April...with May only a few days awat. Baltimore is rioting over, essentially, a racial divide. The National Guard has been called in. Are we doomed to repeat history with Baltimore in May? I think it is coming as early as tomorrow....martial law that is.

Source

The political situation in Maryland remained uncertain until May 13, 1861 when General Benjamin F. Butler entered Baltimore by rail with 1,000 Federal soldiers and, under cover of a thunderstorm, quietly took possession of Federal Hill.[8] Butler fortified his position and trained his guns upon the city, threatening its destruction.[25] Butler then sent a letter to the commander of Fort McHenry:

"I have taken possession of Baltimore. My troops are on Federal Hill, which I can hold with the aid of my artillery. If I am attacked to-night, please open upon Monument Square with your mortars."[26]
Butler went on to occupy Baltimore and declared martial law, in order to prevent any further likelihood of secession or hindrance the war being made on the South.[25] By May 21 there was no need to send further troops.[25] After the occupation of the city, Union troops were garrisoned throughout the state. By late summer Maryland was firmly in the hands of Union soldiers. Arrests of Confederate sympathizers soon followed, and Steuart's brother, the militia general George H. Steuart, fled to Charlottesville, Virginia, after which much of his family's property was confiscated by the Federal Government.[27] Civil authority in Baltimore was swiftly withdrawn from all those who had not been steadfastly in favor of the Federal Government's emergency measures.[28]

Now particularly interesting about this is what happened to the police force:

During this period in spring 1861, Baltimore Mayor Brown,[29] the city council, the police commissioner, and the entire Board of Police, were arrested and imprisoned at Fort McHenry without charges.[1][30] One of those arrested was militia captain John Merryman, who was held without trial in defiance of a writ of habeas corpus on May 25, sparking the case of Ex parte Merryman, heard just 2 days later on May 27 and 28. In this case U.S. Supreme Court Chief Justice, and native Marylander, Roger B. Taney, acting as a federal circuit court judge, ruled that the arrest of Merryman was unconstitutional without Congressional authorization, which Lincoln could not then secure:

"The President, under the Constitution and laws of the United States, cannot suspend the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus, nor authorize any military officer to do so".[31]

So...anyone see a similar path being taken on this occasion? I do....this will be one for the history books people!

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   
As with everything in nature that I have been able to observe it all goes in cycles. Everything always comes back around full circle. Guess we will be learning the lesson again in the future after we forget this one…just like the time before and the time before…you get it lol.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

1861 was not the only time Baltimore was engulfed in rioting.

en.wikipedia.org...

After the assassination of Dr. King almost to the day of what is currently taking place Baltimore was torn asunder and National Guard members and State Troopers were dispatched to the area to quell the unrest. It does seem that history indeed repeats itself. Let us hope it is not as bad as what Task Force Baltimore dealt with.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

1861 was not the only time Baltimore was engulfed in rioting.

en.wikipedia.org...

After the assassination of Dr. King almost to the day of what is currently taking place Baltimore was torn asunder and National Guard members and State Troopers were dispatched to the area to quell the unrest. It does seem that history indeed repeats itself. Let us hope it is not as bad as what Task Force Baltimore dealt with.

Funny you should bring up King.....I posted in another thread about my thought that this could very well be a ploy to get Jackson and Sharpton in Baltimore to assassinate one of them. Think of the implications. That would cause nationwide rioting.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Dr. King was a man whom I can respect. Some how I think either of those two would give everything they had to become a martyr but would never have the respect that Dr. King earned through perseverance and peaceful activism. The likes of those two are more about publicity, money, and power and the control of communities across the Nation. I do believe you are right that it would lead to more unrest but at the moment I believe any loss of life could turn this into a national problem, one excuse is the spark that's needed. Its going to be one long hot summer.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: DJMSN

Dr. King was a man whom I can respect. Some how I think either of those two would give everything they had to become a martyr but would never have the respect that Dr. King earned through perseverance and peaceful activism. The likes of those two are more about publicity, money, and power and the control of communities across the Nation. I do believe you are right that it would lead to more unrest but at the moment I believe any loss of life could turn this into a national problem, one excuse is the spark that's needed. Its going to be one long hot summer.

I completely agree.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   
the situation in 1861 is nothing like the time during king's assassination or now.
it was a war. totally different.

it was two governments The USA,and CSA in a state of war and the U.S entered in to stop further secession, and resistance to the war of aggression against the south.

this is a civil issue, that turned violent. no war, no secession.

apple and oranges.
edit on 27-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:26 PM
link   
a reply to: DJMSN

If jesse or al got the respect king did then I would lose all hope.

They have done nothing even close to what he did. He did it for principle and principle alone, those two do it for money.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Sadly you are correct. I don't even think they do it so much for the money as for their own inflated egos, the money is just another perk but through corruption they gained money already. In order to maintain the control and corruption they have to keep themselves at the forefront of any camera they can find.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: DJMSN

If jesse or al got the respect king did then I would lose all hope.

They have done nothing even close to what he did. He did it for principle and principle alone, those two do it for money.

Both have the ear of the White House and both have the support of their community....not much more is needed to get people rallied. While they are not the same as King, they certainly can bring a crowd.....

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: hounddoghowlie
the situation in 1861 is nothing like the time during king's assassination or now.
it was a war. totally different.

it was two governments The USA,and CSA in a state of war and the U.S entered in to stop further secession, and resistance to the war of aggression against the south.

this is a civil issue, that turned violent. no war, no secession.

apple and oranges.

Problem is that this is becoming a war. It is a slow burner that is going to hit more states by the end. It goes without saying that another death will happen in the near future that will incite riots elsewhere. Once it hits a large enough city, or couple of cities, it will become wide spread.

Baltimore could very well be the first large city that begins the change. While the others were wars going on, this type of action is what brings wars about.....

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

still not the same, true it is becoming a violent civil issue. but there is no secession or forming of another nation controlled by a government.

plus these riots that are taking place now still don't compare to the violence that took place during king's time and or la's, and at one point during the sixties there were violent riots all over the U.S. and yet no war broke out. it will not happen now.

edit on 28-4-2015 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Poor Maryland was split during the war since it was a slave state prior. They tried to remain neutral but Lincoln had 1/3 of the state legislature arrested. Families were rent apart and martial law was pretty much the order of the day in order to suppress Confederate sympathizers.

I've always found it paradoxical that Lincoln would violate the Constitution so many times in order to save the Union. A bit like throwing gas on the fire to put it out if you ask me.
edit on 28-4-2015 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

top topics

join