It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Proof of What Happens To Us After Death and the Subsequent denial of it.

page: 21
<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Elementalist
Your still trying to convince yourself there is no spirit life ..

Enjoy the dirt

I'm not even religious at all, and kind of undecided on the whole afterlife thing, but sometimes I wonder if these militant atheists (the ones who get really 'Aspergy' about it and flog the topic over and over) fear the idea of nothingness and subconsciously hope that someday, after enough prodding, somebody will come along and present them with some convincing evidence that will put their mind at ease. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case with LesMisanthrope, but I've encountered people like this more than a handful of times in my life and it makes me wonder.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 08:32 AM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

If you consider such people to be 'Aspergy', what do you consider those that constantly promote the idea of an afterlife to be?....

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Prezbo369
I'd say the same thing if they flogged the topic to death.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Xaphan

I'm not even religious at all, and kind of undecided on the whole afterlife thing, but sometimes I wonder if these militant atheists (the ones who get really 'Aspergy' about it and flog the topic over and over) fear the idea of nothingness and subconsciously hope that someday, after enough prodding, somebody will come along and present them with some convincing evidence that will put their mind at ease. I'm not saying that this is definitely the case with LesMisanthrope, but I've encountered people like this more than a handful of times in my life and it makes me wonder.

Atheists are not atheist enough for my liking.

I'm fully decided on what happens to us after death. We've all been to funerals and can watch what occurs. Someone still undecided, however, even despite all this evidence, is the one who is still holding out hope, waiting for some sophistry to put him at ease. I find that pretty spineless.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   
People go on on endless discussions and get oftentimes lost in their own arguments, and that's fine - it is in our nature to ponder about things, question preconceived notions etc.

However, there are studies out there, books and research which do answer to a satisfactory level, IMO, the question/s raised at the O P.

I would mention here Dr Brian Weiss, there are a few threads about him or the subject here on ATS if one did a quick search.

Now the good doctor is someone schooled in the best universities in the country, chairing psychiatry in different venues, with a broad curriculum in the scientific community of the field, until he happened to have a client whom forever changed his beliefs, views and conscious approach when it came to "life after death."

I cannot write longer now as i am pressed for time, but anyone interested can easily research the subject.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 01:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xaphan
a reply to: Prezbo369
I'd say the same thing if they flogged the topic to death.

So you've said asmuch to all those that have created threads regarding their belief in an afterlife and argued their opinion in said threads?

edit on 31-7-2015 by Prezbo369 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: LesMisanthrope

I just had yet another " Deep Thought " . Where do Atheists Believe they have come from before their Human Births ? If they Exist in this Physical World , then they would have to Surmise an Origin to that Existence , No ?

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Zanti Misfit

It would be up to the conclusion of the atheist, but it appears as if we begin as our own entity when we are severed from the umbilical cord. This is when we are on our own, no longer a part of something else.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Here is my problem with that theory (OPs). You are assuming that science is 100% correct and 100% understood. And it's not. We as a species barely understand anything about existence other than what we can see, touch, smell, etc.

The truth is we know nothing. Well.. not nothing.. but barely anything. We don't even fully understand how the brain works. We know very little about space and time. Quantum physics are barely understood.

Think of it this way, 1000 years from now (assuming humanity still exists), people then will look back on us as primitive and unintelligent. People 1000 years ago swore they knew the truth. Obviously we've proven theories of theirs wrong.

So to assert that we KNOW there is nothing after death is not only wrong, but its dismissive.

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:39 PM
link   

I believe that nothingness may be YOUR future......but as for myself and other believers on this site we will toast to our awakening when that day arises.

Cheers!

posted on Jul, 31 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
a reply to: DerekJR321

So we do not bury our dead? Do we not decompose after death? On what grounds?

See you are wrong for asserting otherwise in the face of everything you see and know. It's too forced for my liking, and untenable.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope
a reply to: DerekJR321

So we do not bury our dead? Do we not decompose after death? On what grounds?

See you are wrong for asserting otherwise in the face of everything you see and know.

What is seen and known? And what is seeing and knowing?

Notice right now that there is something appearing - a dream scene comprising of sound, sight, sensation and maybe the movement of thought.
All that appears is in constant change - apparent things come and go - but notice that the space they appear in never comes or goes.

Where did a thought come from? Look at the nature of thought. See that thought was not here and then it is here and then it is gone - thoughts are 'born' and thoughts 'die'. Thoughts appear out of nothing/nowhere and then subside back to nothing.
What is it that knows that there is thought? What is it that knows there is anything appearing?
Are you what appears or are you that which is knowing the appearance?

All that appears comes and goes but you might find (if closely examined) that what you really are never ever appears - so how can it ever disappear?
To be or not to be?

edit on 1-8-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Has it ever been considered that you may not be what you think you are?

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Neuroanatomist Jill Bolte Taylor had an opportunity few brain scientists would wish for: One morning, she realized she was having a massive stroke. As it happened -- as she felt her brain functions slip away one by one, speech, movement, understanding -- she studied and remembered every moment.

posted on Aug, 1 2015 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: zbeliever

originally posted by: zbeliever

I believe that nothingness may be YOUR future......but as for myself and other believers on this site we will toast to our awakening when that day arises.

Cheers!

Awake to the dream - a dream may appear to have many things appearing in it - but it is just one thing - a dream.
In fact here is not even a 'thing' called a dream - there is just dreaming.

Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily - life is but a dream.
edit on 1-8-2015 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 2 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Itisnowagain

interesting but if life is merrily a dream then when I awake the will be a consciousness' after this life.

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Hey Les, where did you go?

posted on Jul, 22 2018 @ 06:33 PM
link   
A somewhat over-verbose introduction to pseudo-proof of post-mortem continuation. There is no continuation of a conscious life after physical death. Each of us had no existence before conception, and each of us will not continue an existential reality after our physical bodies can no longer sustain the energy requirement (derived from food) to maintain consciousness.

Once the body dies, consciousness is wholly and unequivocally snuffed out. Nevertheless, let me put a question out there. What would power the soul or entity or spirit, whatever you want to call it, after the physical body is no more? From where would it derive its energy?

I'll sit back now and await all the wild irrational thinkings that will try to pass as logic and reason, but not one will be plausible.
edit on 22/7/18 by elysiumfire because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 04:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: elysiumfire
A somewhat over-verbose introduction to pseudo-proof of post-mortem continuation. There is no continuation of a conscious life after physical death. Each of us had no existence before conception, and each of us will not continue an existential reality after our physical bodies can no longer sustain the energy requirement (derived from food) to maintain consciousness.

Once the body dies, consciousness is wholly and unequivocally snuffed out. Nevertheless, let me put a question out there. What would power the soul or entity or spirit, whatever you want to call it, after the physical body is no more? From where would it derive its energy?

I'll sit back now and await all the wild irrational thinkings that will try to pass as logic and reason, but not one will be plausible.

The basic fact is we do not know. People say we do not remember anything before we were born, but that does not mean there was anything. Why do we have to remember?

Here is an example. When I took a heavy dose of dmt, in a matter of a second, I did not know who I was, I did not know I was human, I knew nothing about my life, and that was in a second. All i knew was I was aware where I was at the time, that's it.

posted on Jul, 23 2018 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Jay-morris:

The basic fact is we do not know.

The basic fact is...we do know. The preponderance of evidence for no post-mortem consciousness is far greater than that which tries to pass as evidence for there being post-mortem consciousness.

Why do we have to remember?

Memory plays a massive part in both the presentation and expression of who we uniquely are. It is the repository of all our mental life, and our mental life is derived entirely from physical life experience. There is no other source for experience of any kind other than all the radiating and chemical energies bathing our bodies to which our bodies are tuned.

When I took a heavy dose of dmt, in a matter of a second, I did not know who I was, I did not know I was human, I knew nothing about my life, and that was in a second. All i knew was I was aware where I was at the time, that's it.

Yet, you somehow remembered the experience, somehow, you remembered not knowing who you were, what you were (therefore, what existence was). You were able to time it to one second. You were aware, and you knew your location. Somehow, you are unaware now just how contradictory your statement is, and that is because you cannot see the irrationality of what you are claiming.

The '___' merely altered your brain chemistry, amplifying some chemicals whilst inhibiting others, hence the change in consciousness that you claim. Nothing spiritual about it, just a physical reaction occurring within the synapses of your brain.

new topics

top topics

<< 18  19  20    22 >>

join