It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Alleged Shooter Apprehended... (WA)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 04:32 PM

Nobody was hurt when gunfire rang out Monday morning inside North Thurston High School in Lacey.

Courtney Schrieve, spokeswoman for the North Thurston School District, said a 16-year-old student fired at least one shot into the air, although some students said two shots were fired. Police believe the student had a revolver.

Lacey Police Cmdr. Jim Mack said the student was being held at the Lacey Police Station while a search warrant was served at his home. The student transferred from another school about a month ago, Mack said. His name was not released.

The student gunman was taken down by Advanced Placement government teacher Brady Olson. “He’s a very large guy; he’s a very popular teacher, and I can see him doing that,” Schrieve said

Alleged Shooter Apprehended... (WA)

Looked at "New Posts" and saw nothing pertaining to this...

Glad no one was injured!!!

Still waiting on the "full story," as this is still very recent.

Olson declined to be interviewed Monday, but issued a statement through the school district:

“I would like to say how happy I am that everyone is safe after today’s incident. I would also like to take this opportunity to praise all the police agencies that were involved, especially our Student Resource Officer, (SRO) Ed McClanahan. All agencies responded quickly and acted with the utmost professionalism,” he said in the statement.

“Additionally, I would like to say thank you to an amazing staff here at North Thurston High School. From administrators to teachers, all reacted to a very intense situation with incredible tact and professionalism. No one, including myself, can prepare for a situation like this, so I’m very thankful that we’re all okay.

“As always, students come first, and today was no different. I reacted in a way that any other teacher would react and at the sound of a gunshot had three other adults, including Tim Brown, Dean of Students, Principal Steve Rood, and Security Officer Jim Beltico going toward the sound of gunfire rather than away. We will all group together as a staff and community, like we always do, and continue to put kids first.

“North Thurston High School’s staff handled this like every other staff in every city, in every state, across this country would. I’m incredibly proud to be a member of the bigger community of educators who teach and take care of our kids every day.”

I have some obvious "ATS" common questions, which may or may not be answered, but I'll leave the original post, as it is, above... I'll probably comment more later...

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 04:47 PM
This happened in Lacey, north of Olympia, and just a bit south of me. In fact, my son is just about to do student teaching in the area. Lacey is a fairly wealthy suburb of Olympia on the whole. It is south of Fort Lewis, so there is an active military presence in the area.

The shooter, a 16 year old, very nearly got himself shot. The school resource officer had drawn his gun and was moving into position to take him out when the teacher tackled him. So he managed to get himself handcuffed rather than killed. The gun is said to be a revolver. It was one of two in the household, both legally owned. The parents are cooperating with police. Apparently the school had gone through an "active shooter drill" a few days ago. Sounds like a textbook response.

That's about it so far. Google Olympia newspaper or KOMO-TV to see some articles on it.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:12 PM
a reply to: schuyler

Annnnnnd cue the theories on why there was recently a drill there.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:28 PM

Thanks for the additional info.

It DOES sound like a textbook response, however...
Okay, I'll make a couple "ATS-common" comments:

This teacher DOES deserve to be called a hero!!!

A drill just a couple of days ago is pretty convenient, and/or coincidental, no? If this WAS the case, why did the teacher not mention the (I consider lifesaving) drill in his comments, along with "praising" the police? I do like the "professionalism" the police were credited with displaying... Other than that, though, what did they do that warranted praising almost firstly? (Other than searching the kid's home)

The kid transferred in just a month ago. Makes me wonder why. Troubled? Probably. On meds? Don't know.

If the shooter got one or two shots off, was he not aiming at anybody? Suicide by cop? Maybe. It was a revolver, so he had at least three more shots left, right?

If the resource officer was ready to take the shooter out, why didn't he? (I'm assuming because the hero teacher was in the way?) Why did the teacher tackle the kid when the officer was ready to handle the situation?

MAYBE more to come... I'm just always skeptical of stuff, nowadays... As I've already mentioned, the whole story isn't available yet. These are just the things I think of after being an ATSer for years, so please, don't take these as condemnation or assumptions. Just questions, which probably (hopefully) will be answered. This IS "ATS," right?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:31 PM
a reply to: Shamrock6

Already on it...

Just wondering your opinion, though, shouldn't there be questions? (Not necessarily "theories" as those are supposed to be hypotheses that have been tested to show their accuracy, or something like that.)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:40 PM
In the spirit of disclosure: I used to live near Lacey. I still get "News Tribune" updates on FB. I posted on ATS because no one else had already, AND I am naturally skeptical, as I believe I've been an "analyzer" most of my life, and in the last few years I've seen how official stories are more questionable than I used to see them. Therefor, I figured I could pose some of the (previously stated) "obvious ATS questions/comments," and be more part of the conversation...

Did I feel like everyone on here needed to know this news? No. Does it create another opportunity to discuss something I'm interested in? Yes.

Once again, maybe more to come... Especially as more info may be made available.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:43 PM
a reply to: japhrimu

Do I run the risk of looking silly/stupid (again) ?
Yes, and it's probable. I understand that.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:46 PM

By all means, ask away. Yours aren't the kind I was referring to.

I was referring to the police state/FBI/CIA/Jade Helm variety.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:49 PM
Well, I can tackle a couple of the questions, but not all.

1. Why did the resource officer not shoot?

"(The suspect) was very fortunate as the resource officer was prepared to use his firearm to protect students and staff at the school," Mack said. "Because of (the officer's) proximity to other kids in the area, he wasn't able to use his firearm. He was moving into position when the teacher tackled (the gunman)."
Source Looks like the Resource Officer was in front when Olson snuck up behind him and tackled him. There were two other teachers moving toward the gunman as well. Standard firearm practice. Don't get someone else caught in the cross-fire.

2. On the convenience of a recent drill:

The district had just been practicing safety drills and active shooter drills, and "it obviously paid off," she said, touting Olson as a good person.
(same source as above) The teacher's statement was rather lengthy as it was. I'm surprised he said as much as he did and also wouldn't at all be surprised if he ran it through channels first.

3. On whether he was troubled, etc.:

School district spokeswoman Courtney Schrieve confirmed that the shooter was enrolled at the school and had transferred there about a month ago from Mt. Rainier High School in Des Moines, Wash., but there was nothing in his files that would have triggered any concern.

OK: Personal opinion here: Des Moines is not nearly as nice a place as Lacey. It's one of the conglomerate of small, congested cities south of Seattle and the Sea-Tac airport. I don't have any statistics to back this up, but I'd much rather live in Lacey than Des Moines. This may have absolutely nothing to do with the issue. Just sayin.... Also, the district must have rather hastily looked up his files. There wasn't time for an in-depth look.

Anything else show up interesting I'll post. Probably talk to my son tonight.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:51 PM

Good addition info. Thank you. I've only seen the original article by TNT... Thanks for contributing to the conversation.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:19 PM

"Nothing in his files that would have triggered concerns..."

Again, I wonder why he transferred. Just a move? Could be.

Olson was also quoted (as seen above) as saying, "No one, including myself, can prepare for a situation like this..." That would have been an awesome place to credit the recent drill, especially if it were a prepared/approved statement.

Just noticed Olson was "AP Government and Civics..." Just noting that...

Why the heck were other students still in the shooter's proximity?

How did Olson know what those other two faculty members did, unless he was with them, (I'm guessing from their close proximity, after the tackling) and if that's the case, how did he have time to sneak up behind him?

Another "disclaimer": I HONESTLY am not buying into what it may sound like I'm insinuating... These are questions I expect some others would pose, so I wanted to "beat 'em to the punch."

I also feel like I can ask the (most likely easily answered and dismissed) questions, due in large part to the fact that no one was injured. It might be in bad taste, true, but please forgive me.

To reiterate: it sounds like the teacher, Olson, is in fact a true hero. I believe he will get the credit he is due in non-ATS media, as I already see is the case on FB.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:28 PM

...and this is the kind of scrutiny I WANT for important stories... Even if it's not popular... The more info (and not just official story) available to the public, the better.

(I'm done, now. I just wanted to start things off, is all.)
edit on 4/27/2015 by japhrimu because: "I'm done now... I just wanted to start things off, is all."

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:38 PM

It just happened. Give it some time

edit on 27-4-2015 by Shamrock6 because: Wrong face

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:46 PM

originally posted by: japhrimu

Olson was also quoted (as seen above) as saying, "No one, including myself, can prepare for a situation like this..." That would have been an awesome place to credit the recent drill, especially if it were a prepared/approved statement.

It would have, but consider. Olsen had just been through a pretty gut-wrenching episode. You're asking for sentences that you think ought to have been in his statement. He was under some pressure to issue something, vetted or not, I don't know, and he may not have covered all the bases the way other people thought he should. I don't think it is a big deal.

Why the heck were other students still in the shooter's proximity?

This happened very quickly. Two shots were fired--into the ceiling--and people reacted. Some students ran away. Four adults ran toward the shooter. It probably was a shorter time than it takes to read this post. There wasn't time to empty the commons area. There wasn't time to think. There was only time to react.

How did Olson know what those other two faculty members did, unless he was with them, (I'm guessing from their close proximity, after the tackling) and if that's the case, how did he have time to sneak up behind him?

They WERE with him. They converged upon him--at a run. The principal helped hold the guy down while the school resource officer transformed from "I'm about to shoot you" mode to "Get out the handcuffs and secure him" mode. There was no "time." It was a flurry of activity. Olson got there first and since the shooter did not have 360 degree vision, Olson was in a position to tackle him.

There's nothing mysterious or conspirational about this account. Really. We may be able to conjure up some sort of conspiracy later, but right now, with the information we have, it's not there.

I've listened to the two or three news reports out there and read several articles with a lot of overlapping information. The authorities have promised more information as it becomes available. But I gotta laugh. Some of these questions are just to fill air time. For example, one reporter asked, "Given that both shots were fired into the air, what does that tell you about the intentions of the shooter?" Now the implications of that question are obvious, and it's a leading question. The reporter wanted to hear a certain answer, didn't he? Luckily the cop did not take the bait and just said, "I don't know at this point."

Smart answer.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:57 PM

Totally how I would (rationally) answer all my questions, too. Thanks for contributing.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:11 PM
a reply to: Shamrock6

True. I agree.

I just think that since info CAN be distributed more quickly, now, it SHOULD be, before it gets lost or swept under rug... Have official spokespersons give as much "official" information. THEN, if something released WERE wrong, correct it, and find out exactly why. No, this wouldn't be perfect. No, some people wouldn't accept the redactions, but leave that up to each person(?)

Really, I get a lot of the problems with this "plan," but I also see a lot wrong with how things are, currently, too. I don't want any more "what difference does it make now" type of things. (Not to get into any specific people or topics, even if that reference is obvious... Id just like to avoid the general circumstance of not having all info available before its lost.)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:15 PM

I think that's a very risky play. I would rather have a delay and then get solid info than get a shotgun blast of info that hasn't been verified and authenticated.

We see all too often how people here on ATS jump on every last little change in information as indicative of some sort of plot. But then turn around and say "they're not releasing all the details right freaking now, they're hiding something!" (Not saying that's what you're doing, just citing an example). Personally, I can wait a few hours and get good info.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:27 AM
There is very little new information today. The news reports are just repeating what they all said yesterday. As to what is new, the cops are saying the shooter said he did not intend to hurt anyone. And there's this:

The boy told detectives "there were some issues in personal relationships," Lacey police Cmdr. Jim Mack told The Olympian newspaper. Asked if the shooting could have been an attempt at "suicide by cop," Mack said, "It definitely could have been."

A teen acquaintance said she recently got troubling texts from the boy.

Alexa Carpenter, 15, told KING-TV of Seattle she recently became friends with the boy, who seemed to be fitting in at a new school before he texted her last Friday, saying, "It does not matter anyway after tonight" and "I decided I need to go, it's my time."
from this morning's Seattle Post Intelligencer

I'll monitor the reports up here and report back if anything new comes out.

Edit to add: The boy is scheduled for a preliminary court appearance today.
edit on 4/28/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:35 AM
This student must have missed the "Gun free zone" signs which are posted on all school entrances in Washington state.

a 16 year old who can't read, or perhaps the "gun free zone" thing just isn't going to work on someone with a gun and bad intentions. I don't think those who passed the law to impose the gun free zone were stupid enough to think a sign would actually solve the problem? It appears that they most definitely were. But everyone already knew that.

Glad no one was hurt.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 12:29 PM
Just because I said I would. The Olympian has a few articles today on the aftermath of this shooting incident. The link is to the front page so it likely won't last long as the stories change. Highlights:

1. The kid had a 357 Magnum revolver.
2. Bail is $500,000, so he'll stay in awhile.
3. The kid will undergo a mental health evaluation.
4. He's already on probation for something else he got in trouble for.
5. The "Hero tackler" talked about it some more, but there's not much more content.
6. RUMOR (please note) is that he's from a military family, but this is unconfirmed.

We will probably not hear anything more about this until the kid is arraigned, and that may be some time. Since no one was hurt I suspect this story will just fade away.
edit on 4/29/2015 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>