It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Racist Obama subtly attacks "old white people" and "your lily white ass". Where's the outrage?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley
I don't find the video offensive.

I do think the OP raises an interesting and valid point about hypocrisy. Either we must cut out the hypocrisy or else change our views on what is and is not acceptable.

Mocking racism for comedy's sake is not racism. It is the comedians version of speaking out against racism. Both those that act like the "Angry Black Man" and those that expect black men to act like the "Angry Black Man".

Some people seem to have a comedy blind spot here.

Is in not obvious Keagan-Michael Key is intentionally playing a character? Ridiculing himself as the character? People are LAUGHING AT him?

edit on 30-4-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
*double triple quadruple facepalm*

You people...

You would think that ATS users would know that the president is merely a puppet, a face for the machine, the scapegoat...

I honestly don't care what he says or does, because there is not a word that comes out of his mouth that isn't scripted by higher powers. This whole red vs. blue game is just that, a GAME. The game is to divide and conquer 'we the people' and it works due to the high levels of ignorance that infest our society, to such an extent that the ignorance seeps into this community which prides itself on 'deny[ing] ignorance'....

These republican and democrat politicians are all in the same boat, rowing towards the same goals, working together behind the scenes in order to eff us all over as hard and as ruthlessly as possible all while managing to keep you bleary eyed sheeple cheering for them...

Im not going to say Obama doesn't have any power, because he does, an image holds an immense amount of power, the words he speaks obviously has the power to bait people like OP into pulling the race card, whining about SKIN COLOR. He is able to derail a large portion of the U.S. populations' rational train of thought with a simple comedy skit at an event that has historically hosted comedians..

I'm just about done with this country...I wonder if Iceland is taking in immigrants...

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

"lily white ass" is funny and people need a thicker skin.

Perhaps, in between your disgusting racial slurs and hate-mongering, you should take the time to pay better attention to what is happening around you. Nowhere did I say anything about people needing "a thicker skin". Nor did I say the term "lily white ass" was "funny". In fact, I said the term has absolutely nothing to do with race. It describes people who are of the opinion that they are superior to others, that they are somehow above reproach, holier-than-thou. So now on top of being a disgusting racist swine, you are also a pathetic liar. Get your story straight.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Can we stop with the "what if the races reversed" argument? It's reactionary garbage. The sad part is I see this all the time on this site, which isn't a good thing when the motto of said site is "deny ignorance".

On a somewhat related note, let's also stop making up things to get mad at Obama over. There are more than enough real things to get outraged at, like Fast and Furious for instance.

posted on Apr, 30 2015 @ 09:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

It's using racially-sensitive language about one particular racial group - addressed to an audience composed predominantly of that group - by a member of a different racial group.

It doesn't matter if it's said in anger or for comedic purposes, to "mock racism" (as though the end justifies the means?).

That's not promoting racial equality, is it?

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:33 AM
link   
deleted
edit on 1-5-2015 by hesse because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Ohh and one more thing! If the people crying about this ever really expierienced racism, I doubt they would even waste a thought on this.

You have NO idea what it´s like!!

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 11:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
a reply to: abe froman

The Luther character is based on a character devised for the Key and Peele comedy team. Funny funny guys. This skit was aimed at AND making fun of people JUST LIKE YOU. You were the butt of this joke, not white people. You didn't get it because it was aimed at YOU.
All those folk in the audience and across the nation were not laughing at Obama's racism or at white people in general.
They were laughing at YOU.

I wish I could give you more than one star

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: CJCrawley

It's using racially-sensitive language about one particular racial group - addressed to an audience composed predominantly of that group - by a member of a different racial group. Blazing Saddles? The strong themes of racism are tolerated because Racists spend the movie as clowns, being the butt of the joke. It is a way of casting light on how ludicrous racism is. It doesn't need to always be confronted on a serious plane.

It doesn't matter if it's said in anger or for comedic purposes, to "mock racism" (as though the end justifies the means?).

Sure the context matters? There are a tonnage of comedic scenes, routines etc. that involve racially sensitive language that do not offend people...at least non-racists?

Making fun of (insert race) racists? Funny...
Making fun of (insert race) people because they are (insert race)? Racist...

This routine was funny both ways. Making fun of BOTH
(1) the "Angry Black Man" apt to see racism everywhere....thus people laughed AT HIM
(2) as well as making fun of people both black and white that expect black people (even the President) to act like an "Angry Black Man".

I suspect this is a bit like explaining the color green to a color blind person.....I just can't tell if it "comedy blindness" or "partisan blindness".

edit on 1-5-2015 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Indigo5
Is in not obvious Keagan-Michael Key is intentionally playing a character? Ridiculing himself as the character? People are LAUGHING AT him?

An extremely effective way to confront social issues. Look at what All in the Family did for these issues. Laughing AT Archie:

How ridiculous is that? That show broke down a lot of barriers.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Indigo. You point out

To me it was. To you it was. To the audience it was. But I guess not to those whose hatred of Obama is so consuming that this brilliant piece of political satire just whisked past their comprehensive abilities.

Another example of this, interestingly enough, was demonstrated a few years ago during one of Bushes press dinners when Colbert was asked to speak. His satirical, no, make that his constant satirical conservatism, actually convinced enough conservatives that he was genuinely conservative enough to have him speak at the dinner, which to our everlasting joy, he used to skewer Bush face to face.

posted on May, 6 2015 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Is this real life? First of all lighten up. Second of all who cares why Obama says or thinks? Does it matter all the sudden?

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join