It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a person who with an ostomy, I find this commercial wildly offensive

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   
^ I see your point. And was unaware of what you mentioned. It does change my mind now. Thank you.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I can't really imagine what that's like. I imagine they're going for effective advertising so the fact that they believed a colostomy bag to be effective and "the worst part of colon cancer" must be offensive. I just thought it was that lady's experience and feeling, and the advertisement was her story. It used to mostly be tracheotomy in these commercials, I'm sure not everyone who has one of those got it from smoking either. So, I dunno, more power to ya, I hate all the fear tactics in these anti smoking ads, honestly.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

First off, sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope your health improves.
I think they go for shock value. It's their form of scared straight.

I like you're avatar, by the way. Big Trouble in Little China is one of my favorite movies.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

yeah.. I agree.. due to my daughter having cancer (not colon cancer, and not caused by smoking) she had internal radiation, which destroyed her innards fairly badly..

She had an ostomy, as well as a double nephrostomy, and in the beginning before they knew she would die, they thought someday they could reverse it with some reconstructive surgery..but she lived like that fr several months before she died, and for a young woman, it was so hard for her to deal with..

commercials like that are the height of ignorance.. and end up demonizing people who have enough of a difficult time with what they are going through..

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Well, I'm a smoker, and I've seen another side to this shaming agenda!

First let me explain why I smoke.
When I was a teenager, EVERYONE was telling me to smoke, and that includes my Doctor and my Dentist!!!
Every where I went there were f'ing great posters telling me I would never be a real man unless I smoked.
Shops would break packs of ciggies down and legally sell them to kids.
Sports heros would recomend to us the best ciggies to smoke.
etc etc etc...
A whole generation of ADDICTS!!! was created.

Now some people can fairly easily give up smoking, but for many of us its a bloody nightmare! If I try to give up I'll suffer physical and mental withdrawl symptoms, and they aint nice!, and its not just a case of suffering for a few days, the craving NEVER stops! My father has a lung disease (caused through his work) and he was a life long smoker but the disease made it impossible for him to smoke, and here we are twelve years later and he tells me there's not an hour goes by where he doesnt crave a cigaret. Twelve years of abstenance and he's still addicted!

Back to the nasty ads on the telly.
One day when visiting my grandson, whom always jumps straight into my arms when I visit, I noticed he held back, and when he saw me smoking he ran off. His mother explained that he'd seen one of the anti smoking ads on the telly, and the ad graphicaly showed 'people with growing tumors leading to death.
Now that ad has no effect on me, because I'm well aware of what this horrible addiction can do to me, but its put horrible images and likely mental stress into the mind of a completely innocent child.
If *I* were to show a child horrible images and cause them mental stress I'd be very quickly dragged of to court, so why is it ok for them to target innocent people such as my grandson!

Public shaming hurts too many innocent people, it must be stopped!

S&F op.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Agreed a bad advert which I expect will be taken off as undoubtedly others will feel the same weay.

Good luck with your surgery in July, hope it goes well. Shiloh

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

My stepmother had Crohn's disease. By the time my dad had married her in '81 she had scar tissue build up on her intestines and had to have 2 feet removed. She was fine for a couple of years before more scar tissue, more surgeries, and etc... until eventually she had an ostomy bag put in. 3 years ago it was too many health problems for her body to endure and she went to the ER with chest pains and numbness down her left arm. The ER gave her a potassium bag and sent her home. She was back the next day, another potassium bag and sent home again. This time she went to her doctor's office, another potassium bag, and sent home, she laid on her couch to take a nap and went into a coma. She never woke up. She was brain dead when she went into the coma and the plug was pulled later that night. Her son and daughter are suing her doctor and the ER.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   

My wife had an ostomy (not related to smoking; it was lupus-related). I have some idea of how this ad makes you feel, and how improper this ad is.

As you indicated yourself, there is NOTHING wrong with having an ostomy - it's part of a life saving event, period. The daily care you need with an ostomy is enough without some ad agency adding stress to your life.

Courage! You have a great attitude!

All the best

P.S. And this, from the CDC of all possible entities ? THE CDC! WTF ? How can they NOT have seen that this is wrong? Mind you, this is the same CDC that no longer believes in quarantines, even with ebola.....god help us.....
edit on 27-4-2015 by M5xaz because: P.S.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Yeah can't say I enjoy that commercial. Or the ones where people are buying menthols at the Clown Bang or whatever.
Sorry about your predicament. I am curious, though, since I saw that ad yesterday and the thought popped in my head. And I just want to preface this by saying I'm not being mean...what happens to your butt? Does it get dry and itchy since nothing goes that way anymore?

I'm no medical expert and I apologize in advance if someone else besides the op has already adressed this, but I believe that the anus/rectum area is what's known as a "mucus membrane" or something, which means it produces its own lubricant. Obviously the anus doesnt produce anywhere near the level of natural lubrication as, say, a vagina, but i would think there would have to be some. It's the same with most any orifice. Eyes are wet of course, mouth has saliva, ear has earwax, nose has sinus fluid... of course we already covered the vagina, and I'm not sure about the male or female urethra...

So, if my thesis is correct, there wouldn't necessarily be any dryness or itching, even if it, the anus, wasn't used at all.

To the op: I support the way you feel about this. I think it's definitely fair to say that they went beyong the scope of their mission and veered into the realm of unnecessary ridicule of injured/disabled persons.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I think you're being a little overly sensitive.

There's no reason to be ashamed of your bag.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:51 AM
link   
So.....

Raising public awareness of a serious health issue,and the suffering it brings, is OFFENSIVE to you?

Look, I feel for your health issues, I lost my Dad last year to Colon Cancer.

That being said, you really need to get over yourself.

No offense intended, I'm just saying, there is absolutely nothing offensive about that commercial. If you find yourself offended by that, then you may have underlying issues with your condition that you need to reconcile in your own mind.

Did that woman say anything that spoke ill of people in your situation? Did she say that people with a bag like that should stay home, and hide away, or stay out of public view for the benefit of people's sensibilities? No, and if she did, I'd be the first to say it is wrong. But she is just making people aware. This is nothing more that a PSA.

If we as a society can't discuss medical issues without "offending" someone, then we truly are a lost cause.

I hope your surgery goes well. Al the best wishes for a speedy recovery.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: poncho1982

You are raising awareness for anti-smoking, by targeting a small group of ostomy patients.. Like i said in my original post, denigrating one group to "save" another never works. But in your world, I guess raising awareness is all that matters...

You, and a few others, are telling me to "get over it" or that I'm "overly sensitive"... It's so easy saying that when you're not the one dealing with the ostomy appliance every day... I love people in your shoes telling me how i should act or feel... I'm telling you the commercial is offensive as a person dealing with an ostomy, there are also PLENTY of other ostomy patients who are wildly offended by this... But I guess we should all just ignore it, because we ALL collectively are being over sensitive...

I appreciate so many of you telling me how to act... And I pray for you that you never need to deal with a life changing surgery that arrives out of nowhere that you have little to no prep for...

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, but it's very frustrating to open up to a group of people about a difficult situation I'm dealing with and I get people throwing "get over it" back at me... The commercial was NOT NEEDED, you DONT need shock value ads, you can raise awareness in a way that doesn't affect a whole group of people.

Why does the commercial need to make it sound "squeemish" like she calls it or stating it smells? These are all lies... It doesn't smell at all... Also, how is me removing my waste from a bag any worse than a person wiping their own behind? The point I'm making is that this lady in the commercial and the CDC didn't need to go into such FALSE detail to raise awareness, they are trying to scare society into not smoking by making an ostomy sound like a death sentence if you ever are forced to deal with one. My ostomy gave me life, and for the CDC to make it sound like the worst thing known to man is beyond me.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overly sensitive, but until you walk a mile in my shoes, please try to put yourself in my shoes or anyones shoes who has to do deal with this appliance daily.... To you it may be nothing, but to people going through it, it's a lot we are dealing with...

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: M5xaz

My wife had an ostomy (not related to smoking; it was lupus-related). I have some idea of how this ad makes you feel, and how improper this ad is.

As you indicated yourself, there is NOTHING wrong with having an ostomy - it's part of a life saving event, period. The daily care you need with an ostomy is enough without some ad agency adding stress to your life.

Courage! You have a great attitude!

All the best

P.S. And this, from the CDC of all possible entities ? THE CDC! WTF ? How can they NOT have seen that this is wrong? Mind you, this is the same CDC that no longer believes in quarantines, even with ebola.....god help us.....

Exactly and thank you... The stomach resection, which resulted in the ostomy, saved my life... Before my surgery, I had my reservations about an ostomy, for obvious reasons, but I'm now understanding to how it's helped me with proper healing to hopefully give me a chance at a long, productive life. I still have another surgery in July, so I'm not out of the woods just yet, but it's something to work towards and stay positive with.

Sorry your wife had to deal with this. But she's lucky to have a good guy in her corner to help her through this.. Unfortunately for me, a week after I got out of surgery, I saw the true colors of my now ex, who i was with for 8 years and I had to break it off...

Anyways, thank you for the kind words. I really appreciate it!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:14 AM
link   

I totally sympathize with your situation, but I also think you're jumping in front of the bullet a little bit here.

This particular ad is obviously not targeting people such as yourself, and making no attempt to shame other ostomy patients; It's trying to shock young ignorant kids into thinking twice about taking up an unhealthy habit, by grossing them out a bit.

I don't see it as perpetuating a taboo as much as trying to scare kids with the thought of a long term unpleasant/inconvenient medical situation.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:19 AM
link   
and a lot of money but was enough to eat less and or do an enema

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 09:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

You are raising awareness for anti-smoking, by targeting a small group of ostomy patients.. Like i said in my original post, denigrating one group to "save" another never works. But in your world, I guess raising awareness is all that matters...

You, and a few others, are telling me to "get over it" or that I'm "overly sensitive"... It's so easy saying that when you're not the one dealing with the ostomy appliance every day... I love people in your shoes telling me how i should act or feel... I'm telling you the commercial is offensive as a person dealing with an ostomy, there are also PLENTY of other ostomy patients who are wildly offended by this... But I guess we should all just ignore it, because we ALL collectively are being over sensitive...

I appreciate so many of you telling me how to act... And I pray for you that you never need to deal with a life changing surgery that arrives out of nowhere that you have little to no prep for...

I'm honestly not trying to be a dick, but it's very frustrating to open up to a group of people about a difficult situation I'm dealing with and I get people throwing "get over it" back at me... The commercial was NOT NEEDED, you DONT need shock value ads, you can raise awareness in a way that doesn't affect a whole group of people.

Why does the commercial need to make it sound "squeemish" like she calls it or stating it smells? These are all lies... It doesn't smell at all... Also, how is me removing my waste from a bag any worse than a person wiping their own behind? The point I'm making is that this lady in the commercial and the CDC didn't need to go into such FALSE detail to raise awareness, they are trying to scare society into not smoking by making an ostomy sound like a death sentence if you ever are forced to deal with one. My ostomy gave me life, and for the CDC to make it sound like the worst thing known to man is beyond me.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overly sensitive, but until you walk a mile in my shoes, please try to put yourself in my shoes or anyones shoes who has to do deal with this appliance daily.... To you it may be nothing, but to people going through it, it's a lot we are dealing with...

Again, I still think you are over reacting.

As far as praying I never have to deal with something like that, I have bad news for you, you're too late.

I was diagnosed with Menierre's Disease a few years ago, and I can tell you, it's no picnic. I get severe vertigo, and if the disease progresses, I can look forward to having the nerve to my left ear severed, and losing all balance, and mobility until I relearn it. Possibly a life in a wheelchair, feeling like you are on a roller coaster 24/7. How about losing 3/4 of my hearing and tone detection in my left ear for 9 months?

I would be thankful if they had a commercial warning people about it, and telling them a way to avoid it. maybe it would have helped me.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I guess if I'm overreacting, then the other 10,000+ who've signed that petition to remove the commercial are overreacting too... Thanks for telling me how I should act or feel.

Btw- I'm sorry you are dealing with your medical situation.

One last thing... I know you said I'm overreacting, but if I can ask you to do one thing, go to the change.org petition for the commercial being removed and read some of the messages of people like me... Maybe it will help if you gain perspective to what we are going through.
edit on 28-4-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Man what a powerful thread to read through!. I agree with everything you have mentioned and shared with us today on ATS. I can relate to your attitude alright. I have had health problems for many years but it really hit the fan a year ago and I died twice in 4 weeks.
I saw so many doctors and they all quizzed me on the following, how much sugar do you add to food/ how much caffeine do you consume/ how much salt do you add to food/ they were all looking for the bad stuff in order to shame me and scare me straight.

What they didn't know till they asked was none for the past 34 years.....we don't even have a salt shaker in the house:-)
But what I did notice was that over half the doctors on morning rounds were sucking back cups of coffee (Tim Hortons) and asking me about my caffeine intake:-) "Do as I say not as I do" really applies to that and yes I felt like I was being attacked for a lifestyle I did not and do not live.
On the day of my second discharge from the hospital the head doc asked me again about caffeine I and simply pointed out the fact that he was sitting there all proper drinking a Large Timmies and I have told him 10 times I don't do coffee or tea.

Funny thing was, that meeting and discharge took over 45 minutes and not once after my above statement did he touch that coffee:-)

I understand in my own way how your feel OP, Huge S&F and yes I found the link and signed the petition.
I wish you all the best of health and I hope the end result is a healthy body for you.

Many Many Regards, Iwinder

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Good luck with your surgery!

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:47 PM
link   
The commercial is clearly made to decry tobacco related illnesses and not Crohn's disease or those with ostomy pouches due to other reasons. OP, your pouch will be gone in a couple of months and people wouldn't have seen it, anyway.

At very least the U.S. government are taking AU's lead and doing something about "legal" drugs that they reap copious taxes from at the expense of their constituents' health and life expectancy. More than can be said for their stance on sugar content in food, GMOs, the TPP...
edit on 29-4-2015 by MagmaCumsLoudly because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join