It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

As a person who with an ostomy, I find this commercial wildly offensive

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   
So, I usually never post in the "Rant" forum, but I came across a commercial on my cable, that in my opinion is so offensive, I had to come here to "rant" about it....

Let me preface this post by telling you all that back in January 2015, I was admitted to the ER for an intestinal blockage, which led to me being hospitalized for 24 days, and I had to have a stomach resection surgery, where they removed 22 inches of intestines. A result of this surgery, I awoke the following morning with an ostomy attached to my body. For those who don't know, An ostomy refers to the surgically created opening in the body for the discharge of body wastes. For me, it's right in my upper intestine area. Well, anyways, its a major life change and it would be for anyone. Thankfully for me, I have a temporary ostomy, with a reversal surgery scheduled for this July.

Anyways, the CDC has decided to come out with a anti-smoking campaign, but apparently they don't care who they hurt along the way....

Here is the commercial...

Now, don't get me wrong, I fully support anti-smoking ads, but this ad, in my opinion, crosses the line... As a 30 year old, who's trying to navigate the landscape of dating, social events, work, etc. I try to not hide the fact that I had a life saving surgery, which resulted in the ostomy to my friends, family, etc. but what I don't like is the CDC trying to shame all those who have ostomy's... My surgery was not a result of smoking or colon cancer, mine was a result of crohn's disease, which I developed from a good amount of contributing factors, and not just one (smoking), I got it because my family has a long history of stomach diseases, I also understand stress and diet can play a factor. What hurts/angers me about this commercial is that I'm trying to get comfortable with this "change" I'm dealing with and whenever this commercial comes on and I'm around people who know of my condition, it gets insanely awkward, not for me, but for them.. I see it, I sense it, and we all know collectively that this commercial is insensitive to all those dealing with an ostomy. I shrug it off and act like it doesn't bother me, but it does. I know in my case, I got my life back due to my surgery and ostomy. I would do the surgery a million times over again because it gave me life, and it allowed me to continue on in my life.

I know here on ATS we cant list petitions or promote them, but on change.org there is one floating around trying to get 15,000 signatures to get the commercial removed by the CDC. Right now they're over 10k, so its getting close, just not there yet. On the petition they have a section for people who signed the petition to share their feelings and thoughts (reasons why they signed) and there's some powerful messages on there. I decided to share a few below on this thread so people understand how this commercial not only affect me, but how it affected so many others who are dealing with Ostomy's.

One poster writes -

you just put us back years in our efforts to remove the taboo on ostomies. Im 22 and never smoked in my life and pardon me but i DO have a life, i am NOT squeamish or disguted by what i am, i go out, i work and i do everything and more than i did before this surgery. My ostomy saved my life, you are making my life more difficult...who's the real bag of sh*t here?

Another wrote-

I'm all for anti-smoking ads, but this is ridiculous. Body shaming is hurtful and harmful. Ostomies save lives and improve quality of life for so many people, but because of the social stigma some have a hard time making the decision to have surgery. Plenty of factors should weigh on this decision; irresponsible "your life is over" depictions are not among them. You wouldn't put out an ad talking about how awful and isolating using a wheelchair is, would you? I'll answer that for you—no. In fact, we see inspirational ads featuring young people living beyond their disabilities all the time. This should be no different. I have more friends with ostomies than I can count. And I can promise you none of them live their lives the way this ad leads you to believe they do. Oh and, by the way, ostomies are often use to prevent colon cancer, or keep patients with it alive and well.

And one last one wrote-

I have had an ileostomy for 10+ years and it didn't ruin my life. This ad is insanely offensive to me, and other people like me who have to live with an ostomy for the rest of their lives. I have never even tried cigarettes and I Don't deserve to be painted in this negative light; No person living with an ostomy deserves to be no matter how they ended up with one!

Anyways, I wanted to share a few... Ultimately, this commercial is offensive to me and it hurt me in a lot of respects. If anyone on ATS is ever going through a disease that's out of your control, I would hope you'd never have your own Govt. shaming/hurting you.. I really hope this commercial is pulled soon, and I hope the CDC thinks again before putting together another "shock" ad like this...

And to the NSA (or any other Govt. agency following these ATS threads)

Free tip: denigrating one group to "save" another never works.
edit on 27-4-2015 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Yeah can't say I enjoy that commercial. Or the ones where people are buying menthols at the Clown Bang or whatever.
Sorry about your predicament. I am curious, though, since I saw that ad yesterday and the thought popped in my head. And I just want to preface this by saying I'm not being mean...what happens to your butt? Does it get dry and itchy since nothing goes that way anymore?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Yeah can't say I enjoy that commercial. Or the ones where people are buying menthols at the Clown Bang or whatever.
Sorry about your predicament. I am curious, though, since I saw that ad yesterday and the thought popped in my head. And I just want to preface this by saying I'm not being mean...what happens to your butt? Does it get dry and itchy since nothing goes that way anymore?

It's okay to ask questions, I actually appreciate them so I can help educate society so people aren't weirded out or anything. Even though I have my waste being detoured to the ostomy bag, there is still processing that occasionally makes its way to your lower colon where, in my case, you'll have a tiny bowel movement every so often, like maybe once every couple weeks... Other than that, the area is pretty normal
just like anyone else, I just have my waste go to a different area (the majority of the time)... for now, at least... Fingers crossed my reversal surgery in July goes off without a hitch..

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Thank you for the response!
It really helps to demystify things. I hope your surgery goes well.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: the owlbear
Thank you for the response!
It really helps to demystify things. I hope your surgery goes well.

Thank you very much, I appreciate any and all positive vibes that are sent my way!

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:24 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537

I didn't know they could reverse it, good luck on your surgery!

Also very good point in this thread, they shouldnt be shaming those that have had that procedure due to actions they could not control.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I dont understand why you are offended. The lady in the commercial didt take offense to being on the commercial. And she wants to spread the message. I dont see the shamming part.

link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: jhn7537

I didn't know they could reverse it, good luck on your surgery!

Also very good point in this thread, they shouldnt be shaming those that have had that procedure due to actions they could not control.

Thank you... and EXACTLY... This was out of my control, it's hereditary, I was dealt a hand and I'm trying to play it to the best to my ability. I just hate how the CDC is trying to lump everyone together here. There's a long list of reasons to why someone can find themselves with an ostomy, smoking leading to colon cancer and surgery is one of them, but it's just one of many reasons out there...

link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

The whole thing is messed up And offensive.
It's a bit of a stretch to say smoking caused her butt cancer. Lung, mouth, throat...yeah. Cigarettes dont go near a rectum as far as I know. Causality.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: papazen
I dont understand why you are offended. The lady in the commercial didt take offense to being on the commercial. And she wants to spread the message. I dont see the shamming part.

I guess you don't see it, because you're not dealing with it like I am every day... Like I stated earlier, I would love to post the petition, which carries a good amount of testimonies from people just like me who believe it's offensive. So, this is just my opinion, but maybe you should look at this commercial through the lens of someone dealing with this daily... You may think this commercial is nothing much, but to people dealing with this daily it's incredibly insensitive...

Mods or Admins- if you allow it, not for the sake of trying to get signatures, but to share the testimonials, may I share the petition?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I don't have much sympathy with people "being offended." So what? Then what happened? No one should have to shape their behavior for fear of anyone else being offended. Stop being butthurt by something you don't like and move on.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
I don't have much sympathy with people "being offended." So what? Then what happened? No one should have to shape their behavior for fear of anyone else being offended. Stop being butthurt by something you don't like and move on.

Thanks?

I guess when you put yourself out there you should expect these type of replies...

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: jhn7537

I guess you don't see it, because you're not dealing with it like I am every day... Like I stated earlier, I would love to post the petition, which carries a good amount of testimonies from people just like me who believe it's offensive. So, this is just my opinion, but maybe you should look at this commercial through the lens of someone dealing with this daily... You may think this commercial is nothing much, but to people dealing with this daily it's incredibly insensitive...

Mods or Admins- if you allow it, not for the sake of trying to get signatures, but to share the testimonials, may I share the petition?

So whats the point of sharing and signing the petition if only people in the same situation are capable of understanding the offensive part ? Im honestly trying to understand your point of view

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: papazen

It's not only people with the bags, it's also people who know of folks who are dealing with this.. Would you shame a person for being in a wheel chair? Of course not... And I know you don't see this commercial as shaming, which kinda shocks me, but there are many who see it as just that. My point of view is that the CDC is shaming one group for the sake of another, essentially not caring about the ostomy patients they are shaming, for the sake of people who smoke...

It sounds like we aren't necessarily cut from the same cloth. I'm very compassionate towards people going through trying times, because I know what it's like and i understand/feel empathy towards what they're going through..

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:06 PM
link   
This rant is spot on!

My mother is dealing with a recurrence of ovarian cancer and she required an ostomy and she is having an incredible time adjusting to her new situation. The last thing she needs is some a-hole implying her life is over.

She already feels that way. She doesn't need additional fuel.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
This rant is spot on!

My mother is dealing with a recurrence of ovarian cancer and she required an ostomy and she is having an incredible time adjusting to her new situation. The last thing she needs is some a-hole implying her life is over.

She already feels that way. She doesn't need additional fuel.

Exactly... As someone who's had their own ostomy for the last 3 months, I know what it's like "adjusting" on the fly... It's really tough, and there's no preparation, nothing, I just woke up after my surgery and there it was... Btw- I had a 5% chance of having the ostomy bag after my first surgery, but my disease spread so much they had to take away twice the amount of intestines, leading me to the 6 month ostomy bag. I'm just one of the very fortunate few who's able to have a reversal done (knock on wood)..

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler

Well the commercial itself implies that if you have an ostomy, you're to blame and be shamed because you brought it on yourself.
I don't think they would go down that road with breast cancer and mastectomies, do you?

I understand completely the OPs taking offense to this commercial and it should not be allowed to air.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
a reply to: AreUKiddingMe

Thank you very much.... And I appreciate many of you seeing this from my perspective, and those who suffer with this.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It's not only people with the bags, it's also people who know of folks who are dealing with this.. Would you shame a person for being in a wheel chair? Of course not... And I know you don't see this commercial as shaming, which kinda shocks me, but there are many who see it as just that. My point of view is that the CDC is shaming one group for the sake of another, essentially not caring about the ostomy patients they are shaming, for the sake of people who smoke...

It sounds like we aren't necessarily cut from the same cloth. I'm very compassionate towards people going through trying times, because I know what it's like and i understand/feel empathy towards what they're going through..
I am also compassionate towards people in trying times.You shouldn't assume im not just because I dont have the same perspective you choose to have( if thats what you were implying).
Now that you have explained a bit more your point of view I still cant agree with you. Every health problem that smoking can cause can also be caused from other issues . If that were the case people from all over would complain about the nasty pictures we get here in Canada on every pack of smokes:
-The one with a paraplegic young man taken to the washroom by his father( people that are in wheelchairs from car accidents would be offended
- The man with a hole in his throat to breath (non smokers who have this problem too would be offended)
- The picture of bloody urine in a bowl ( non smokers with the same heatlth issue would be offended )
- And so on

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:39 PM
link   

I am also compassionate towards people in trying times.You shouldn't assume im not just because I dont have the same perspective you choose to have( if thats what you were implying).
Now that you have explained a bit more your point of view I still cant agree with you. Every health problem that smoking can cause can also be caused from other issues . If that were the case people from all over would complain about the nasty pictures we get here in Canada on every pack of smokes:
-The one with a paraplegic young man taken to the washroom by his father( people that are in wheelchairs from car accidents would be offended
- The man with a hole in his throat to breath (non smokers who have this problem too would be offended)
- The picture of bloody urine in a bowl ( non smokers with the same heatlth issue would be offended )
- And so on

and they are offended.... just cause you dont see it, doesnt mean it isnt so.

the problem with a commercial like this is the effect it has on the mind of someone who is completely ignorant to the health issue in question, someone clueless to such issue is left after the commercial to believe that ostomies are solely a direct result of smoking, that person will then always associate ostomies with poor life choices and shame, UNTIL their ignorance of such is enlightened.

you dont see this because you already know that these health issues have a variety of blameless causes, but not everyone on earth already knows that as you do, those who do not know that whom see this commercial will have no additional information to their knowledge-base other then, smoking causes this. period.

thats the issue you dont see, the perspective of someone who doesnt know the things you know. and also, the perspective of those who know the things you dont know.

why care if a gov funded commercial is offensive to a group? because these things shape public opinion, this kinda of behavior was apart of the witch burnings in our past. who cares if it offends people? who cares if we burn the witches? why care if your not a witch. right?

lets not next get into an argument over the comparison of witches to smokers... its off topic, it was merely a generalized example of the attitude and behavior that is to lambast an entire group of people solely for their behavior due to irrational fears.

heres a question to those who say who cares if some are offended, here this thread is made by those who care pleading for attention from others who care. no where in there is there intent to seek those like you who dont care, why post in these threads? do you actively wish to stop others from careing? why do YOU care that others care? WHO CARES THAT OTHERS CARE IF YOU DONT CARE TO CARE THEN DONT CARE TO STOP OTHERS FROM CAREING, in other words, if you dont give a #, then # off.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join