It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lock your dog in your car while going in the store results in YOU getting locked into your car!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLotLizard
a reply to: Anyafaj

Wouldn't people turn around and sue claiming that they obtained burns from sitting in the car or say they sat in there so long that they got heat stroke?

Or at the very least cruel and unusual punishment.

I am not disagreeing at all and I think the owner should have to sit in there as long as they had their animal/child in the car. But It just feels like a bad idea in the long run.

But on the other hand of that dilemma I think More laws will arise about the concerns of animals.

Sure they can. But if they could possibly foresee that coming, they could dismiss the animal cruelty without prejudice as a gross misdemeanor and then charge, prosecute, convict and fine you your settlement figure after you've settled your civil case. Hey, I can dream!

But I'm going with Sublimecraft, if you see a dog distressed in a hot car, smash the winndow. They even have some cool little gadgets just for that very thing!
edit on 27-4-2015 by StoutBroux because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
What, he didn't break her back and shoot the dog? This cop needs retraining.

I lol'd and spit out coffee.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Helious

I'm not sure it was that funny, since "Cop brutally beats woman over dog locked in car" would be a headline that wouldn't surprise me at this point.

As for what he did, I think it's a fine choice- you can either sit in the car to understand the problem, OR I can write you this ticket for a few hundred bucks.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:12 AM
link   

You have no understanding of due process, constitution and our legal system if you think that police are judge and jury, and can mistreat citizens as if they lived in a drug cartel third world country or the middle east.

No, we're giving up our nation.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

You know I have seen more and more people leaving their cars running with the air conditioner ( I assume) going. I think if you have an electric start on the car you don't have to worry about it accidently getting put into gear, although I wonder if this is even legal?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99

You have no understanding of due process, constitution and our legal system if you think that police are judge and jury, and can mistreat citizens asif they lived in a drug cartel third world country or the middle east.

I would much rather get a nice request that I do not have to comply with than get shot in the back and murdered. I know that much. And yes I know due process, the constitution, and the legal process. It was a request, not a command, that people do NOT have to comply with. They could very well just say, "Give me the hundreds of dollars ticket. I'd rather pay that."

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

That is also rogue and criminal behavior. Thats like saying I'd rather the cops could steal from you, than rape you. Its against due process and the laws of the land.

These are thugs and they don't have any mandate or jurisdiction to enforce their own punishments, thats not their job.
And you don't give even an inch to this criminal behavior, nor toss up more of their criminal behavior as a smoke screen to excuse this.

By the way, just a short jump ago, it was cops who were killing dogs in hot cars.

www.nydailynews.com...
Wyoming cop charged with animal cruelty after death of K9 dog left in hot squad car

and

news.nationalpost.com...
‘Poor judgment’ for B.C. RCMP officer to lock puppy in hot car

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
A woman here was just found guilty of animal cruelty and got 6 monthes jail, she was a dog walker and left 6 dogs in the back of her truck..they died.
Then when she discovered the dogs were dead(not a nice death either) she threw them in a ditch and claimed they were stolen, they were found and it got figured out.

Please never leave your pets in the car.

Here is the sad story:
www.cbc.ca...

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Unity_99

You really hit the nail on the head. "They have no mandate or jurisdiction to enforce their own punishment."

Exactly. The woman could have not gotten in her car and the cop couldn't have done a freaking thing about it. Which is exactly what happened.

How that woman took that to be an order from that cop is beyond me. He was making a smart assed sarcastic remark and turned his back to her and went back to writing her citation. Yea, seems super order-like to me.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Sounds good to me.

I would apply this to all sorts of behavior.

Rioting? have a group of people go into your home and wreck it.

group beat down? Lock each in a cell with people who want to hurt them...but are only fingertip close to them.

etcetera.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99

You have no understanding of due process, constitution and our legal system if you think that police are judge and jury, and can mistreat citizens as if they lived in a drug cartel third world country or the middle east.

I think you're confusing things with the way they USED to be. Cops exercised more of their own authority early on which is what led to a lot of abuse of authority. As time has moved forward, more and more rules have been put into place, supposedly to protect everybody and keep them inline. The problem is rules aren't dynamic like people are, they're emotionless and robotic. Sometimes it's preferable to use human judgement in determining whether to and how to dole out punishment, as opposed to just following the rules, but fewer and fewer people get that.

This story is unique because the cop is using his/her own discretion. He/she chose to issue a warning and make a snarky comment.

Soon there'll be rules dictating what the officer does in this situation. Of course, this is for our own safety. It always is!

Rules and more rules. Rules. Rules. We're becoming machines. The cops are becoming machiens too. The machine cops are what scare people the most, but people are enabling these systems by not opposing them.
edit on 27-4-2015 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 04:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I saw a dog, clearly distressed, in a locked car in a shopping centre here in Perth just 2 months ago (hot summers here). After smashing the window and freeing the poor creature it drank about a litre of water. I waited for the owner, a 25-year old idiot who proceeded to lecture me on the damage. Suffice to say, for his own protection, as a large crowd was gathering, the police took him away and he was eventually charged with animal cruelty.

Children are not immune to the same thing either.......unfortunately.

NEVER hesitate to smash the window - ever.

That's a +1 for the cops too........I agree..........nothing like a taste of your own medicine to really hit home.

I've actually done that about a dozen times! And my workmates also. Many years ago I worked for the local authority (uk) and part of my job was patrolling the carparks on the seafront. We'd often come across dogs left in the car while the family were sunbathing or swimming in the sea. We had instructions from our local boys in blue to smash a window, make the dog safe, and then call the cops.
I like dogs, a lot! so got a buz out of saving them, but the real joy came when the owners returned and asked us if we'd seen who broke their precious car window, and one of us would say "It was me, and there's a cop waiting to speak to you about it"
If they got really balshy they didnt just get nicked by the cops, they would also have to speak to the rspca.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I've looked at about 5-6 different articles about this event and they all say slightly different things. Some imply that the women had a choice of a ticket or sitting in the car. Some say he "made" her, others say he "put" her and others don't really say. I have my doubts that the cops actually MADE her sit in the car. I hope not.

Let them ticket her heavily (it's a breathing life being threatened), let her either pay the ticket or take it to court. Let the judge pass judgment and sentence, which could include sitting in a hot car for the allotted time, watching a movie about dogs dying in hot cars, or doing volunteer work for the local shelter. That's the way our system SHOULD work, and if it doesn't, we shouldn't accept it and applaud it, IMO.

But I don't think that's what happened in these cases. Maybe the cops made the suggestion or hinted around that she SHOULD sit in the car to prove it's OK or whatever, but I haven't found anything that shows that he MADE her do it. How would he do that?

Cops do take advantage of people not knowing their rights, though. So, he may have intimidated the women and they thought they had to do what he said...

In any case, cops shouldn't be meting out punishment on-the-spot for any crime... whether it's endangering the life of a dog or murder, it should go through our crappy justice system. I know it needs improvement badly, but the answer isn't to have the cops play judge, jury and sentencer.
edit on 4/27/2015 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 06:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

In any case, cops shouldn't be meting out punishment on-the-spot for any crime... whether it's endangering the life of a dog or murder, it should go through our crappy justice system. I know it needs improvement badly, but the answer isn't to have the cops play judge, jury and sentencer.

I've said that in so many posts on here. As you say, the system may be broken, but it'll be even more broken with cops doing as they please.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Then the law will change into a draconian shell of it's former self. I know it's wrong and they should be locked up for it. I just don't see this flying because the ramifications of other laws turning into some nightmare dystopia.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Let's waterboard snitches next!

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 04:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
No, this isn't a good tactic. Since when did police have the authority to issue punishments of their own creation? Isn't that the whole point in laws? Lawmakers decide the laws, police detain people suspected of breaking those laws, and the judicial system decides whether the suspect is guilty or not. Then punishment is determined. Judges sometimes issue punishments like this, but that's not for the police to decide.

This is literally why we have a growing police state now. Because people think it's acceptable for police to overstep the limits of their authority & actually become the judges, as well.

With that being said, I absolutely hate seeing kids & animals locked in cars. But the focus should be on educating people on the harm in doing it beforehand.

EDIT: Whoops, Unity 99 beat me to it

I wonder how many people actually read the article, or the OP, where it says this is voluntary. The police made this a request, not an order. The woman only had to sit I her car for 5-10 minutes. Not enough to kill her, unlike how long it might take to kill an animal or child. I'd say people are getting off lucky. They're not staying in their vehicle the amount of time their kids or animals are. This is NOT mandatory. They're getting off lucky in that they do NOT get a ticket. So where is the complaint again?

Edit: Not to mention, One participant didn't even SIT in her car, made a complaint to superiors, never got a ticket, so what was her problem again? She wasn't arrested, her window wasn't broken, her animal wasn't removed from her care. Where is the loss? BTW, Superiors sided with cop after viewing body cam and saw that it was a request and not an order and that the woman didn't even comply at that.

I read it. And I also read where you stated this:

I LOVE this idea! For me, THIS is great police work. Lead by example!

Hence, my response. This is not great police work because police aren't supposed to decide punishments, voluntary or not. That's literally the whole point of "separation of powers" and the executive, legislative, and judicial branches of government.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join