It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A nagging little experience. Input needed.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:12 PM
link   
I had a little experience awhile ago that I can't quite get out my mind.
I am devoted to critical thinking (which doesn't mean that I am not open to the possibility of extra-ordinary events) so I would like to get all possible mundane explanations out of the way before jumping to any extra-natural explanations.

I was sitting with a friend in an outdoor cafe. It was late in the evening, everything was dark except for the area where we were sitting, which was well lit.
There was only a couple sitting at a nearby table, no other guests. No traffic either. (There's only a parking lot nearby, anyway.)

All of the sudden I noticed out of the corner of my eye something grayish moving across the floor past our table; it was moving at the pace of a fast walking pigeon (heading towards the other occupied table). Which is what I thought it was, until I remembered, a fraction of a second later, that a pigeon would not be around at that time of the day. So I looked to see what it was.
The thing was nowhere to be seen.

I looked around - like I said, there were no other guests except for that couple, and I had a clear view of all the floor - but I saw nothing. I kept looking, because that pigeon, or whatever it was, was bound to reappear at some point (or take flight, whih would have been audible and visible, especially at night). It didn't.

So I turned to my friend, and before I could say anything, he said: "Did you see that?"
I let him describe what he saw (also out of the corner of his eye). He described it exactly as I just did, adding that it resembled "a foot", made of a very thick grayish shadow - or very disciplined thick smoke".

(It did appear not quite solid to me too; but, like I said, I saw it from the corer of my eye).

Now, that cafe is very unlikely to have rats, but that was my second thought.
Still, I am really grasping at straws here, because the thing did not move as a rat, not to mention that the other couple would have seen it because it was heading straight to them. (And a rat there would have been a really big deal, believe me.)
Also, a rat would have had to reappear somewhere. There were no holes in the wall nearby, no places where it could have hidden, and to retrace its steps it would have had to come into view eventually. (Whatever it was, it was not hiding under any tables.)
It couldn't have "blended" in with the floor, because the floor was light colored wood.

It's also worth mentioning that the thing did not produce any audible sounds as it was passing us.

My friend and I were not intoxicated in any way. We didn't even drink alcohol, for that matter.
Neither of us is or was under the influence of any drugs, OTC or otherwise.
We don't usually experience any such events.

Anyway, we kept looking for a long time, and the thing did not reappear.
What was that?

Opinions, please.

N.B. This hapened in Vienna, in the inner city, but relatively close (around 400 m) to a big park.
I mention this to give an idea of the fauna (because I've seen other threads where people come up with explanations involving very "exotic" fauna that don't really apply to the places where the incidents took place.)

edit on 26-4-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: AdAstra

In parts of the world there is a creAture called Decabra. The name is of Spanish origins. It is a ghost type creature it is usually gray smoke like. It can appear in the form of man usually a dwarf or an animal but always engulfed in smoke.

One day I was walking through a neighboring lot to get to the next street and the tree was smoking. Thinking some kids were hiding while smoking I snuck up on them from behind then I jump out to scare them but there was no one there and the smoke stopped.

I shared that with my neighbors and that is how I learned of the Decabra

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Obviously it was something meant to challenge you mentally and open your mind to the extraordinary things that this world allows the few to behold. Embrace what your inner self tells you it was.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Obviously, we can't say with 100% certainty what it was, but I'd feel comfortable saying that there's a 99% chance it was something mundane, as usual. Sorry.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   

It's called a rat.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:58 PM
link   
a reply to: redtic

It could have been a sewer rat that had just stole a hot steaming piece of ravioli

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: ChesterJohn
a reply to: redtic

It could have been a sewer rat that had just stole a hot steaming piece of ravioli

Yes, that would be an option in that 99%, although that's unusually specific..

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:11 PM
link   

You stated that it didn't move like a rat. Can you say what it did move like? One weird place we lived, there was a small grey something, that seemed catlike.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

You stated that it didn't move like a rat. Can you say what it did move like? One weird place we lived, there was a small grey something, that seemed catlike.

I've lived in a place that had the ghostly cat-thing.
Several people have seen it.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Well, thank you everyone (I think ;-)).

@Chester John:
There are hardly any cabras to be found in Vienna, let alone decabras. :-)
But I suppose it would be a good name for any unidentified thing.

@Ultralight: I totally get your point. It's just that i am probably the least person in need of such challenges, if you know what I mean, so that thing's targeting was really off.

@redtic: I agree. But it must have been extraordinarily rare all the same. I am well trained in observing my environment (and nature, more specifically), and I've never almost-seen anything like it.

@Bilk22: I wish it were that easy.

(Would a rat come out in a populated, well-lit space, with nowhere to hide and no food on the floor?
And if so, where did it go? It wasn't a big place, and we saw the entire expanse of the floor.)

@LadyGreenEyes: Well, like I said at the beginning, it was moving at the PACE of a fast-walking pigeon (or a hopping sparrow, except it wasn't hopping). Otherwise it just slid by, silently. My friend's observation that it was like a "foot" is actually quite spot-on.... if you can imagine a disembodied foot moving. :-)
Please, do tell more about your experiences.

@Skunkape23: that's interesting. This would have been more of a "ghost fast-walking pigeon", not a cat. :-)
Seriously, though, I'd like to hear more about your experience (since I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of mine).

edit on 27-4-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:11 PM
link   
Maybe you and your friend caught a glimpse into another time/dimension when/where a pigeon just happened to be taking a leisurely stroll. (Pigeons are more or less foot shaped). Also, you said the object made no noise, that's also a common theme people note when they say they've seen another time/dimention.

You never know, I've heard weirder stories of small rips in the time/dimention fields.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I worked security at night for years and I enjoyed the many unexpected things I saw that took a moment to wrap my head around.

Sometimes you run into an animal behaving strangely because it's stalking, or poisoned or dying or confused- maybe a pigeon did in fact wander thru the patio and die in some hard to see corner, or a rat that has gotten brave (there are rats outside on every city block that just won't come where you can see them in a clean lit and busy environment)

I suppose there's nothing to completely rule out any unknown creature or phenomena, but the overwhelming majority of strange entities I've seen lurking in the shadows turned out to be animals that were either out of place or acting unusually or simply oddly colored and lit.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: FreedomToBe

That is absolutely true: we never know.

I am not ruling out anything. How could I?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:43 PM
link   
a reply to: The Vagabond

Thank you, Vagabond.
I am certainly not ruling out even animals that would be totally out of place in that particular location.
And I have certainly seen pigeons stray around at night, the poor creatures. ;-)

What bugs me, though, is that we had a clear view of the floor (and we became alert immediately after noticing it), and the thing never reappeared from under the tables; and there was no place for it to hide in the wall.

I suppose one had to be there to appreciate how puzzling this occurrence was.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 01:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: skunkape23

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

I've lived in a place that had the ghostly cat-thing.
Several people have seen it.

Weird! This place had other oddities as well. Multi-story building with apartment-style units stacked three high, in Germany. Ours was first floor, and the bedroom with the most weirdness was the same one in the two places above that residents also encountered odd occurrences. Very interesting, that! Our son didn't sleep well in the room, the lady above us said it seemed something was in that one for them at times, a nd the one above hetr saw something terrifying, apparently. The "cat", or whatever, just moved in the hallway from time to time. No weird feelings from it; just the motion, barely seen.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: LadyGreenEyes

No weird feelings from it; just the motion, barely seen

This is exactly how I would describe that not-pigeon if I had to use very few words. ; )

What other oddities were there in your apartment building?

edit on 28-4-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdAstra

No weird feelings from it; just the motion, barely seen

This is exactly how I would describe that not-pigeon if I had to use very few words. ; )

What other oddities were there in your apartment building?

The smaller bedroom was weird. We put my young son in it first, and he had trouble sleeping, and talked about a "man with a lion" up near the ceiling in one corner. we switched him and the teenage daughter. She didn't really like the room, but she could sleep in it. The younger one was two, and thus unable to deal. The room had a bit of an odd feel to it. The neighbor immediately above said, as best the hubby and I can recall, that it felt like someone was in the room at times. The one above her apparently saw some sort of freaky witch-looking thing, and didn't want to talk about it much. I got that second hand from the other neighbor. Same room, in each case. Other than that, we had the cat shadow, and there was a time when the younger kid had bad dreams, but that could have been unrelated.

That's the least weird of places I have lived that had issues.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Thank you.
If you feel like it, please tell about the weirder apartments. ; )
Like I said earlier, I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of my experience, so at least we can use this thread for other people's experiences of this kind.

edit on 29-4-2015 by AdAstra because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdAstra

Thank you.
If you feel like it, please tell about the weirder apartments. ; )
Like I said earlier, I don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of my experience, so at least we can use this thread for other people's experiences of this kind.

That place was military family housing, and I believe it was old worker buildings for the Germans at some point. The worst place we lived was a small rental house in which we lived for a few months only. This place, my daughter (eldest) and I disliked on sight. Nothing ever happened when the hubby was home (apparently he's a ghostbuster by nature), but when he was away at night, I could hear heavy footsteps in the attic, as if of booted feet. NOT like animals rustling around would make, but clear footsteps. This attic wasn't big enough to stand in, for the most part, from what I could see from outside, either. I never went in it. Pregnant at the time, and it was too creepy. The basement (and the attic entrance was at the head of the basement stairs) was also creepy - sectioned off with dark areas, and a bad feel to it. The door to that was in the kitchen, and that door had a hook and eye latch. You could shake this door, and the latch would not move. I tested it. The reason I did is that this door would randomly be open, when no one was home but me, and the house was locked up tight. I would go in the kitchen and find it unlatched, and open a little, regularly. No drafts, and no way that could happen accidentally, but it happened all the same. It got tow here I would close the kitchen door days, unless I had to be in there to make food. The heat vents in the house were these large wrought iron things at the base of the walls, a good foot-18" square, roughly. At times, we could hear noises in these. Not like rats or squirrels, but noises, and there were NO signs of any rodents or other animals in the house. We checked for those. I had dreams that a little troll-like man was in there, like the thing in Cat's Eye, but bigger. Really hated that house.

For a long time, though, no issues at all. I have come to the point that I simply will not tolerate such things. Any hint, and they are ordered out, rebuked in a Biblical sense. So, no weird noises (other than the cats), no odd shapes moving, nothing at all, these days.

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Interesting.
I suppose placing a voice-activated recorder, or even a camera, might have given some interesting results; but i totally understand why anyone would rather not bother with that.
(Not to mention that the results can be quite frightening. I once put an audio recorder in an isolated room that I knew for a fact to be empty at all times - and there were clearly audible voices on the tape. I still don't know what that was.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join