It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Subway removes ham/bacon and offers halal meat after 'strong demand' from Muslims.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:27 PM
link   
They aren't just randomly picking 200 stores out of 1500. They are changing the menu in 200 to sell more by meeting consumer demand in what are obviously areas with a sizable Muslim population. This is just just good business.

She said: 'The growing popularity of the Subway chain with the diverse multicultural population across the UK and Ireland means we have to balance the values of many religious communities with the overall aim of improving the health and welfare standards of animals.

'We put a programme into place in 2007 to ensure that the population demographic is taken into account when new store openings are considered in order that we meet consumer demand in each location.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Where are the all Kosher stores?

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   
a reply to: KeliOnyx

This goes to show that Muslims aren't coming to other countries to blend in and unite "melting pot" style as immigration is intended, but to invade and impose their will on others through intimidation.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: ShadowLink

Fast food giant Subway has removed ham and bacon from almost 200 outlets, and switched to halal meat alternatives in an attempt to please its Muslim customers....

The chain, which has around 1,500 outlets across the UK, explained its decision by saying it had to balance animal welfare concerns with 'the views of religious communities'.

Subway removes ham and bacon from nearly 200 stores and offers halal meat only after 'strong demand' from Muslims.

Is anyone else getting tired of all this Muslim crap lately?
I'm all for freedom of religion of any kind, as long as it's kept to yourself. If someone wants to know more or follow that's fine, but it shouldn't be forced on people who aren't of the same faith.

What really bothers me though is the fact that lately non Muslim countries seem to be conforming to the Muslims rather than the Muslims conforming to the country they choose to live in.

Granted I don't live in the UK where I presume all these Subway stores are, but how long till I can't buy a bacon cheeseburger or ham and eggs where I live cause Muslims demanded they no longer serve it?

Halal meat is fine, but why stop serving ham completely, why not just serve Halal meat and ham?
Those who are against eating pork can just NOT buy it.

What are your thoughts and feelings on this ATS?
Subway is a business. They saw 2 markets they might pull more customers from. If you want ham and pork, go to a good deli.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:37 PM
link   

edit on 07/16/2009 by Lichter daraus because: nevermind, slightly inebriated and realized I don't really care that much. peace.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:39 PM
link   
a reply to: abe froman

Answering a question with a question?

IDK where they are, ask subway.
When/if they do it then I will be more then willing to say they are doing it for the same reason, catering to people that are requesting it.

This goes to show that Muslims aren't coming to other countries to blend in and unite "melting pot" style as immigration is intended, but to invade and impose their will on others through intimidation.

Again, less then 5% of the stores are doing it.
Are you sure you know what an invasion is?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: abe froman

Your entire statement actually proves you are no different from that which you are protesting. Freedom of religion is a pretty simple concept to grasp. They aren't imposing their will on Subway. Subway in a business decision did their homework, and found out they could increase patronage in certain stores by catering to their dietary requirements. And just for the sake of clarity "melting pot" isn't about one group giving up their cultural identity to conform to everyone else. It actually goes both ways.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:02 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

I think Subway should be shown how its business would be affected by having ONLY Muslim customers. Everywhere. They do this crap, I won't darken their door again.

If someone doesn't want pork, they don't have to eat it, but they have no right to demand that no one else does, either. Jewish people don't eat pork, but they don't demand that restaurants stop serving it to those that do. Islam is a cancer.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Let the market decide.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

This simple form of logic and reality is lost in the "damn mooslims" thought process.

They changed something for 200 stores out of 1500 , holy jebus!

I love the thought process of if they don't want pork or ham they can go somewhere else but those that want it can't just go somewhere else.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

At the beginning of 2012 there were 1,423 SUBWAY® stores in the UK, almost a fivefold increase on the 2004 store count, and 99 stores in Ireland.

www.subway.co.uk...

While I agree this sounds dumb, what areas are these 200 stores in?

200 out of 1500 isn't a whole lot, it is not like they are bending over backwards with this policy.

If these stores are in highly muslim populated areas then it makes business sense IMO.

If you want bacon or ham, you can also just go find another place to eat right?

Shhh they are trying to convince everyone the Muslims are comming to enforce shiria law on us..... The last thing they need is some yahoo comming on here being all logical and $((!T....

Next thing you'll tell me is climate change is real and Obamas a Christian who isn't actively trying to destroy the world....

Some people!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

When it effects less than 5% of the stores it is an act of cowardice?

Is that common core math you're using?

200 is less than 5% of 1500 now?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

Therefore, from a business sense would subway make more money if they served halal meat as well as bacon and ham..

If customers want Halal meat - add it to the menu. Removing the bacon / ham means existing customers of those 200 stores who previously enjoyed bacon/ham no longer can at those particular stores.

Why remove the bacon/ham?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: 3NL1GHT3N3D1
This is pretty dumb, why not keep the ham and bacon and just put the halal in a separate area? Doesn't seem very fair to those people who enjoy ham and bacon on their sandwiches.

That's what I'm thinking. Why do they have to get rid of pork just to have the halal meat?? Unless nobody ever asks for the pork in which case they can just send it this way because I love the "other white meat"!!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Bone75

Ya guess I had a serious brain fart there, thank you for pointing out my mistake.

It would be ~15%, does change since it would be more wide spread.

I do think they could have just added the halal meat, just don't see this as them bending over backwards to appease them.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:56 PM
link   
a reply to: ShadowLink

Nothing surprises me in that nanny controlled despot tyrannical loon ball country,if you are white you are racist.

I asked many of my friends who they are voting for and they all said UKIP and all were once staunch labour voters.
The thing is when the British public snap it is one of the wonders of the World,no tanks,no bullets or Police can hold back the force of violence that will come.
If politicians keep bringing in Draconian laws and go against the wishes of the general public and act as though they are the only ones whose narrative is the law then a time will come when the people will rise against it and it will snowball into a force that cannot be stopped.
I have never seen so many people be totally against government policy yet many only speak in whispers as they do not want to be branded racist just for observing their traditional values.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Thanks all for the replies!
I think most of us are in agreement and a few have a different point of view, which is fine. I just wanted to know if others felt as I do or not.

Of course this is some sort of business decision by Subway. Without knowing the exact locations taking on this change it's hard to say whether it's a good one or not.

Does it benefit a company to provide what it's customer want?
Yes, of course it does, but I have to wonder exactly what percentage of these stores customers are Muslim.
I would think it's not a very high and they would be losing more than gaining by making this change. But who knows.

What bothers me most is how they are imposing their will and changing a place to suit their ways. Yes it's a small change, but that's not the point.

How would it be received if I went to Afghanistan and demanded Subway served pork? Probably isn't a Subway in Afghanistan but you know what I I'm saying.

For those who say why can't I go elsewhere to buy pork/bacon, the same goes for them. What's stopping them from going elsewhere? Subway served ham/pork from the very start.

Still assuming this is only in the UK, here is a little info from Wikipedia.
As of 2010, 4.6% of the population in the United Kingdom is Muslim. That's 0.2% of the world Muslim population.

Anyway, whatever everyone else's point of view is, or whatever the reason for all this it pisses me off.
I don't go to Muslim countries and try to make them serve pork or convert them to Christianity or Atheism. I would blend in and adapt, why can't they?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:02 AM
link   
I'm in Australia & I do not condone hallal slaughter. Look into the practice yourselves & then go buy hallal certified meat which is what those subway stores would have to use to be Muslim friendly,that's what really gets to me:in order to appease a religious group I have to give up my belief that animals should not be unduly mistreated to supply meat products. After researching it I was in tears & I won't consume it on principle. Its BS even bloody vegemite is hallal certified

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:04 AM
link   
a reply to: reldra

Are you saying subway would foresake a larger demographic who want bacon and ham for a smaller demographic that doesn't like it?

Does that sound like a good business decision?

I thro not.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   
If the people who eat ham and bacon stop going to subway then they might find a way to have both. Or maybe go out of business. Seems like they are going out of their way for a single religion and the rest have to just deal with it. ..how does that solve anything?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join