It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lurkers?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:00 AM
link   
a reply to: JUhrman

That's why I theorized that my perspective may be skewed when it comes to reading introduction threads. I'm sure once the 2016 elections get closer, more people will be joining ATS that HAVEN'T been lurking for years, if at all.
edit on 27-4-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

There are plenty of non-lurker joiners too.

I was merely pointing at the fact that you and the OP, when claiming you don't buy those who say they are long time lurker and suggesting they might be lying, sound almost paranoid.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Maybe I do. Though, I really don't care if they are long time lurkers or not. It's just that I've seen the phrase "I've been lurking for years" repeated so often that it feels like a standard buzzphrase one must utter upon signing up.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

Maybe I do. Though, I really don't care if they are long time lurkers or not. It's just that I've seen the phrase "I've been lurking for years" repeated so often that it feels like a standard buzzphrase one must utter upon signing up.

It is a buzzphrase and how would they know about it but by lurking before posting?

You are actually making a point that confirms what you consider unlikely

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:16 AM
link   
So this is a weird thread...ok so for me the lurker thing brings up two issues

1. OP...get over it. It's a buzzword made on the internet a long time ago. It doesn't mean creepy/stalker/whatever unless you personally make it so for yourself...it isn't that big a deal IMO

2. I don't usually believe or care about the very common phrase "I've been lurking ATS for four years and just joined." I feel like it's some weird introduction to make sure everyone knows that an "expert" has just joined our midst.

Then again I don't care period...lurk, post, whatever

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: JUhrman

It is a buzzphrase and how would they know about it but by lurking before posting?

No no no, you are misunderstanding me again. I'm not doubting the lurking thing. I'm doubting that all these people lurked for years before joining. I feel like we are going in circles.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: KyoZero
I don't usually believe

You must be the first on ATS who doesn't believe the official story

It's like this place is full of x-files fans or something...

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:23 AM
link   

No no no, you are misunderstanding me again. I'm not doubting the lurking thing. I'm doubting that all these people lurked for years before joining. I feel like we are going in circles.

Absolutely not. You are the one who keeps talking about "years" when usually it simply says long time lurker. You have trouble accepting its possible because it doesn't fit your personal exerience. Lurking simply means not caring enough to post. There are tons of people like, just check some forums stats.

And still, saying you are lurker proves you actually lurked and know the lingo.

Or that you are a paid shill, do you think it's most likely?

Maybe you are going in circles alone but I can guarantee most people who claimed to have lurked a long time have no reason to lie.
edit on 27-4-2015 by JUhrman because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: aboutface

The change in my avatar is about the way the world we live in is going to hell, has nothing to do with ATS. My problem with ATS is the same one I have with all social media in general...too many creeps.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Absolutely not. You are the one who keeps talking about "years" when usually it simply says long time lurker. You have trouble accepting its possible because it doesn't fit your personal exerience.

Maybe it does, and I'm being selective with my memory.

And still, saying you are lurker proves you actually lurked and know the lingo.

Or that you are a paid shill, do you think it's most likely?

I'd believe you were a lurker before believing you are a shill. That's for sure.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:32 AM
link   
a reply to: KyoZero

I made more than one point...the lurker thing is just creepy no matter how you para-phrase it or what the Internet trolls call it. Being a follower is acceptable without being creepy

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I started reading this board in the early 2000s. I don't remember the year ATS deleted my previous accounts

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Me thinks you doth protest too much.....hmmmmmm...I just see no reason to pretend to be new when in fact they are not...simply said...I hate liars of all kinds and creepy lurkers are just creepy.
edit on 27-4-2015 by soulpowertothendegree because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

Maybe you should just lurk more yourself

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:38 AM
link   

It does seem that I have struck a nerve though, right? Some are just a tad defensive or is that my imagination too?

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   

I would but you have that category sewn up...besides if I want to pretend I will just do it in the privacy of my own home.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:39 AM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

It's paranoia speaking. Welcome to ATS!

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: soulpowertothendegree

It does seem that I have struck a nerve though, right? Some are just a tad defensive or is that my imagination too?

Possibly, but I do think they do have a bit of a point. I have a great deal of respect for JUHrman's posts so if he says that he lurked for years before joining, then I believe him.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Now you are making me blush

I do have a lot of respect for you too

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 02:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Eggwhites1111
Awhhh man, I just posted my introduction thread and in my first sentence claimed to be a lurker (which I really have been for the past couple years). Come to find the next post I see is full of hate for lurkers
I only used the word because it's commonplace on here and other forum sites, had I known it bothered people to the extent of posting about it I probably would have chosen another word!
Second comment ever from a longtime lurker here

I did the same thing.
Lurker.....it just sounds so dirty.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join