It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

36,000 baseball fans penned in the stadium in Baltimore as Freddie Gray protests turned violent

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This # wouldn't happen wth Pootie in town...Its all about respect.

edit on PM7Sun20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

edit on PM7Sun20151972 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: LewsTherinThelamon
a reply to: Rocker2013

Human life always trumps property

No.

Yes.

You can disagree all you like, but you are wrong.
International Human Rights laws, of which the USA is a part, fundamentally state that Human life is more important than any property.

Again, you can refuse that all you like, it doesn't change the reality.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

We have had 2 hockey riots here..I understand a sports riot..dumb sh$t if there ever was, rioting over nothing, at least the people outside the game actually have a reason to be upset(not excusing the destruction/violence)..again I'm not aware of any fans who were rioting there.
Cheers.
edit on 26-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: hotel1

originally posted by: Anyafaj

originally posted by: hotel1
Thank you. I was able to find out just about everything that happened after the arrest but I could not find anything anywhere about what lead to the arrest. It seems Gray was known to police for previous drug offences and at the time of the arrest was in possession of a switchblade.

One article mentions some of the officers involved are members of a police fraternity lodge and a lawyer affiliated to the organisation is involved in proceedings. Make of all that what you will.

Whether he was known to cops prior to this incident, or not, the sad thing is, his crime didn't amount to the death penalty, which was what he was given, when all is said and done.

I never suggested he deserved to die, I just wanted to know the whole story.

Even if you know all there is to know, it changes nothing.
The police have a simple job to do, they investigate crime, they prevent crime, and they deliver those SUSPECTED of crime to the legal system.

Clearly, the man is dead, he was not given medical assistance when he should have been, excessive force was used and he died at the hands of a bunch of cops.

Therefore, they failed, they killed him, they should be charged as being responsible for his death.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 04:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalSolace
Regardless of the riots, I find it remarkable as to how easy it was to keep 36k people in a stadium for their "safety"...

They probably locked the doors to prevent them from leaving and had cops on the doors, would be my guess.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   
This is beyond ridiculous. I don't know anything about the case of the guy that died in police custody, the supposed reason for the rioting, other than what I have read here. I rarely turn on the news, and even when I do, the stuff here is mostly local. So, I don't hear about this stuff until I come across it elsewhere.

That said, the case is not an excuse to riot. Period. There is no excuse to riot. It's animal behavior. If the police did something wrong, and a group feels physical action is necessary, then explain to me, please, how the blazes smashing cars and store windows, and attacking people on the streets, helps??? I could see, at least, some logic if a police station was targeted. At least then, the action would be against the organization claimed to be at fault. Attacking uninvolved people, private property, and businesses isn't about the case, at all. Claiming it is would be like stating that attacking residents was a solution to overcoming the issues with the British. Instead of standing against them, and fighting them, why didn't the men int he American Revolution just fight one another, and burn everything down? That would fit in with the "We are rioting because the cops did (whatever)" crowd!!

Besides, let us not forget that this behavior is identical to that of the so-called "flash mobs" that do the same sorts of things; destroying property, attacking people, etc. What is their excuse? Boredom? Hot weather? Calling this justified because an excuse is made is supporting criminal, animalistic behavior.

originally posted by: mikecheque
I see that some commenters on here seem to understand why the riots are happening. They even seem to sympathize with the rioters, somewhat. I do not, and I am about as Black as they come. What the heck does it solve to destroy communities because someone died!? I am in no way trying to minimize what happened, but this rioting crap has to stop. What the hell is the point? And we wonder why some people call us ape/monkeys. As far as I am concerned, those people destroying property (of people who had nothing to do with the man's death) might as well be flinging feces. If we want stuff to change we should start by educating ourselves. We should start valuing Black lives because Black people kill more Black people than White folks do. Learn to power of money and teach our kids that money is more that something you trade for "bling". Stop having children out of wedlock. Stop having more kids than you can take care of. I know a woman right now who has 5 kids with 4 different fathers. And pull up your dang pants!!!!!

Thank you! You sound like the sort of person I grew up around. Down South, late 60's-early 70's, playing with neighborhood kids, and no one caring what color anyone was, and listening to the parents wonder what the heck was wrong with all those people rioting in other places in the country! That behavior is NOT that of all black people. It is, though, something used to promote problems between the races, from both sides. Horrible. It is a shame more people can't realize that this plays into the hands of the very authorities they claim to protest! Rioting gives those in control an excuse to demand more equipment, more military-grade weapons and the like, and more excuses to detain people. All those int he stadium were, no doubt, safer there than outside, and I can even see some justification for closing doors, to keep looters from pouring in and doing far worse, to crowds in stands and unable to flee or fight as well. That said, how long before they lock people down for thinking there might be some danger, as a "just in case" measure, or for whatever excuse they dream up? We already saw police invading homes to "search for" the Boston bombing suspect, with no warrants, no permission, and a huge show of force. This rioting gives them more excuses for that sort of crap!

Those pants......I have to seriously restrain myself from walking up to someone and yanking hard. Not a problem of one race only, either! More a cultural thing. I have been known to comment, loudly enough to be heard, that they look like a baby with a loaded diaper.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 05:13 PM
link   

You know materialism has taken over when people are considering objects as more important than human lives..

(And no, I do not like the violence of the protests, I'm just making a point of how materialism ruins empathy. The richer you are and the more power you have , the less empathetic - studies have shown this.)

"Violence does not get rid of violence..."

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
A system that fails and is violent and slanted, deserves no respect.

I agree with that. We send people to political offices and police departments to protect us from bad not exploit us.

We should use these cases for change, not by destroying neighborhoods and property, but rather to find a way to destroy the mechanism that caused this man to be so brutally handled. All lives are precious and the fact that time after time the police violate human rights and appear to cover it up, has to be addressed. Are our leaders willing to do the right thing and put the police up for charges every time this happens or not?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: UnBreakable

originally posted by: yuppa
what ever happenned to shooting violent rioters? they are a danger and can be legally killed.

No, they only shoot non-violent white college protesters. See Kent State. Since then, 40 years ago, they're hesitant to shoot the most violent protesters, those thugs that injure and destroy property.

I remember that but has it hapenned since? The RIOTERS not PROTESTORS are dangerous,and were a danger to anyone not with them. I seem to had seen a old white man was also beat down for just being near. When they injure others they give up their right to not get shot. Tha supreme court has said its legal to kill someone who is a danger to everyone else. It dont specify if there is a weapon or not.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

No.

Yes.

International Human Rights laws, of which the USA is a part, fundamentally state that Human life is more important than any property.

Our constitution trumphs those laws when its in our own country.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

Where does it say that life is not a god given right in the constitution?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   
If they he'd let out those 36,000 red neck baseball fans those rioters would have beat up and dispersed but the police wanted full control

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:06 PM
link   

If human life is indeed less valuable than property, perhaps a quick rundown on what the US Government expense schedule has to say about the cost/value of a human life.

I mean, the Government is indeed a mafia...but not so brazenly as that.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: bigfatfurrytexan

If human life is indeed less valuable than property, perhaps a quick rundown on what the US Government expense schedule has to say about the cost/value of a human life.

I mean, the Government is indeed a mafia...but not so brazenly as that.

Point well taken.
Just divide the average drone mission(including the cost of the Hell fire missile) price by the number of civilians and hostages killed to get a figure.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

originally posted by: Rocker2013

No.

Yes.

Our constitution trumphs those laws when its in our own country.

Even if your constitution stated that it's okay to end a life over property (and BTW, it doesn't) this would be nullified by international Human Rights laws.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

The existence of a law does not validate your claim, law is arbitrary, at one point it was lawful to lynch black people just because. By your logic, it was then moral to lynch black people because there was a law.

Also, the existence of a law cannot physically stop me from defending my property with lethal force, and having a police force arrest me does not validate your claim that I would be committing a crime by doing so --we used to arrest black people for using the wrong water fountain--again, using your logic, having black people outnumbered by arresting officers meant that the people who supported forced segregation were morally right, but morality doesn't work that way.

Defending your property with lethal force is moral. The only reason you don't support my position is because you want to be able to destroy, or steal, people's property.
edit on 26-4-2015 by LewsTherinThelamon because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
a reply to: Anyafaj

I fear that they have only chosen the earlier words of Malcolm X, but here is something he said later

"I am not a racist.... In the past I permitted myself to be used...to make sweeping indictments of all white people, the entire white race and these generalizations have caused injuries to some whites who perhaps did not deserve to be hurt. Because of the spiritual enlightenment which I was blessed to receive as a result of my recent pilgrimage to the Holy city of Mecca, I no longer subscribe to sweeping indictments of any one race. I am now striving to live the life of a true...Muslim. I must repeat that I am not a racist nor do I subscribe to the tenants of racism. I can state in all sincerity that I wish nothing but freedom, justice and equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people."

Before he died, Malcolm X took a pilgrimage to Mecca and came back with a different attitude. But young people today only hear the first part.

"There can be no black-white unity until there is first some black unity.... We cannot think of uniting with others, until after we have first united among ourselves. We cannot think of being acceptable to others until we have first proven acceptable to ourselves."

Malcolm X believed there was a new world order coming...

"A new world order is in the making, and it is up to us to prepare ourselves that we may take our rightful place in it."

Apparently it is here.

And Malcolm X denounced Elijah Mohammed,

The NOI (Nation of Islam)/"Black Muslims" "For 12 long years I lived within the narrow-minded confines of the 'straightjacket world' created by my strong belief that Elijah Muhammad was a messenger direct from God Himself, and my faith in what I now see to be a pseudo-religious philosophy that he preaches.... I shall never rest until I have undone the harm I did to so many well-meaning, innocent Negroes who through my own evangelistic zeal now believe in him even more fanatically and more blindly than I did."

The harm he did, is in effect today, the same message in the beginning is shouted by the likes of Lewis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Had people only heard Malcolm at the end. He was sorry for race baiting, he was sorry for separating, he was sorry for leading young blacks into thinking that violence is the answer.

And this is why I, as a white person, respect Malcolm X because he tried to make right what he did wrong.

"For the freedom of my 22 million black brothers and sisters here in America, I do believe that I have fought the best that I know how, and the best that I could, with the shortcomings that I have had...I know that societies often have killed people who have helped to change those societies. And if I can die having brought any light, having exposed any meaningful truth that will help destroy the racist cancer that is malignant in the body of America then, all of the credit is due to Allah. Only the mistakes have been mine.

The end is often disregarded. Too many stuck with only what he said at the beginning, which was justified in his position. But he saw it did not lead to solving the problem, it only made it worse.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Think you need to re educate your self with the population of baltimore.

Red neck isn't the derogatory term most would use to describe it.

They probably stopped people from joining the protest.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: WarminIndy
a reply to: Anyafaj

I fear that they have only chosen the earlier words of Malcolm X, but here is something he said later

"I am not a racist.... In the past I permitted myself to be used...to make sweeping indictments of all white people, the entire white race and these generalizations have caused injuries to some whites who perhaps did not deserve to be hurt. Because of the spiritual enlightenment which I was blessed to receive as a result of my recent pilgrimage to the Holy city of Mecca, I no longer subscribe to sweeping indictments of any one race. I am now striving to live the life of a true...Muslim. I must repeat that I am not a racist nor do I subscribe to the tenants of racism. I can state in all sincerity that I wish nothing but freedom, justice and equality, life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for all people."

Before he died, Malcolm X took a pilgrimage to Mecca and came back with a different attitude. But young people today only hear the first part.

"There can be no black-white unity until there is first some black unity.... We cannot think of uniting with others, until after we have first united among ourselves. We cannot think of being acceptable to others until we have first proven acceptable to ourselves."

Malcolm X believed there was a new world order coming...

"A new world order is in the making, and it is up to us to prepare ourselves that we may take our rightful place in it."

Apparently it is here.

And Malcolm X denounced Elijah Mohammed,

The NOI (Nation of Islam)/"Black Muslims" "For 12 long years I lived within the narrow-minded confines of the 'straightjacket world' created by my strong belief that Elijah Muhammad was a messenger direct from God Himself, and my faith in what I now see to be a pseudo-religious philosophy that he preaches.... I shall never rest until I have undone the harm I did to so many well-meaning, innocent Negroes who through my own evangelistic zeal now believe in him even more fanatically and more blindly than I did."

The harm he did, is in effect today, the same message in the beginning is shouted by the likes of Lewis Farrakhan, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton.

Had people only heard Malcolm at the end. He was sorry for race baiting, he was sorry for separating, he was sorry for leading young blacks into thinking that violence is the answer.

And this is why I, as a white person, respect Malcolm X because he tried to make right what he did wrong.

"For the freedom of my 22 million black brothers and sisters here in America, I do believe that I have fought the best that I know how, and the best that I could, with the shortcomings that I have had...I know that societies often have killed people who have helped to change those societies. And if I can die having brought any light, having exposed any meaningful truth that will help destroy the racist cancer that is malignant in the body of America then, all of the credit is due to Allah. Only the mistakes have been mine.

The end is often disregarded. Too many stuck with only what he said at the beginning, which was justified in his position. But he saw it did not lead to solving the problem, it only made it worse.

I'll admit I didn't know much about the man. Thank you for this. I appreciate it. I love learning, and I greater respect for him for changing his ways and wanting others to follow his new path. Again, thank you!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Think you need to re educate your self with the population of baltimore.

Red neck isn't the derogatory term most would use to describe it.

They probably stopped people from joining the protest.

Did you know this...the first time the words "po white" was first used by slaves in Baltimore.

And one of the earliest racist poems and songs was by Thomas W. Talley

Title: I'd Rather Be A Negro Than A Poor White Man Author: Thomas W. Talley

My name's Ran, I wuks in de san';
But I'd druther be a Nigger dan a pō' white man.
Gwineter hitch my oxes side by side,
An' take my gal fer a big fine ride.
Gwineter take my gal to de country stō';
Gwineter dress her up in red calico.
You take Kate, an' I'll take Joe.
Den off we'll go to de pahty-o.
Gwineter take my gal to de Hullabaloo,
Whar dere hain't no Crackers in a mile or two.

Interlocution:
(Fiddler) "Oh, Sal! Whar's de milk strainer cloth?"
(Banjo Picker) "Bill's got it wropped 'round his ole sore leg."
(Fiddler) "Well, take it down to de gum spring an' give it a cold water rench;
I 'spizes nastness anyway.
I'se got to have a clean cloth fer de milk."
He don't lak whisky but he jest drinks a can.
Honey! I'd druther be a Nigger dan a pō' white man.
I'd druther be a Nigger, an' plow ole Beck Dan
than a white Hill Billy wid his long red neck.

That can't be racist, can it?

Thomas W. Talley

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join