It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need advice on upgrading my pc.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
I have about two hundred quid to upgrade my pc and I think it is the graphics card I need to upgrade.
I currently have a gtx 650 ti and want a better card.
Pci express btw so any ideas?.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:03 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

God damn GTA got you looking into a better card as well I see! I started to check out what I needed/wanted....
Take a gander at this well done video comparing what you can expect.

Not sure what prices are like over there in the UK, but I wanted a gtx 980 4gb, took a look at Australian prices.. Saw $800 price range.

Cried into my coffee.

Sucked it up, been playing on my gtx 670 and trying to console myself...

It's not working.

edit: You might be able to squeeze up to a gtx 970?? otherwise gulp.. a 960? But I couldn't bring myself to it knowing I'd always want the damn 980 as a minimum, so I could put it up to maximum... I'll be ok, just going to cried like the big babby man I am.

edit on 26-4-2015 by Qumulys because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:17 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

Yeah gta and star citizen.
Then its time to rob a bank fir a 4k monitor.
Lol
Cheers for the advice.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
a reply to: Qumulys

I run everything on normal with my current card on gta and it still looks lovely.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:19 AM
link   
IMHO this is the best place to do some real comparisons. You can click on the individual cards for more info.

PassMark

You will soon see which cards are designed for wankers and where the real value is. The prices are for general comparisons only. You can often get them cheaper.

Even the GTX 660 Ti would be a real improvement without breaking the bank.

If you can afford it, the GTX 780Ti would be a huge improvement.

That is all I have.

P

edit on 26/4/2015 by pheonix358 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:01 AM
link   
If you're a big gamer and notice lag/bad performance it's probably your gfx card. I've never had a problem with my gtx 660 but I'm not an early adopter at all. If it's overall performance I'd say it's either CPU or memory. Complete system specs would help more.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:06 AM
link   
a reply to: thov420

The 660 is a damn site faster than a 650.

P

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:15 AM
link   
a reply to: pheonix358

True but op said they have the 650 ti which I think is closer in specs, I may be wrong.

ETA: No matter what, the general advice I gave is pretty sound and full system specs would help greatly.
edit on 4/26/15 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:38 AM
link   

Will post when I get in from work.
Cheers.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   
If you're just after a video card, at that budget, I wouldn't buy new.
There are HEAPS of groups on facebook for buy and sell - perhaps look for a 2nd hand card there. There are lots of people offloading this gen's top cards in preparation for the newer gen from AMD. Plenty of bargains to be had, and you'll get a lot more for your money. Of course, there'd be no warranty etc., so that's a risk, but if you can live with that you'll get more bang for your buck.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Yes, full specs would help, I couldn't agree more.

OP try Speccy if you have it. It is free anyway.

P

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 05:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: pheonix358

The 660 is a damn site faster than a 650.

P
I have the 660 twin frozr oc and it's still not really fast enough. There still seems to be some issues with the game though. To the OP, I have been looking at the 970 4gb but it's around the £280 mark.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
if you could spare a little bit more the GTX 970 would be your best performance/price option it is a beast card, its only 100 pounds more or so on amazon.

I have a GTX 760 and I am pretty much maxing the game out, the most eye fancy options are on max with everything else on high tweaked here and there, I get almost a constant 60 fps, gotta admit the game is really optimized.

I could probably get 5-10 more fps if I had one of those new Intel CPU's since my PII X4 955 is getting old although it gets the job done.

the 970 is a bit overkill I suppose but its more future proof.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:10 AM
link   

It depends on your other system specs , CPU AND RAM , the 650 TI is still a good card only limited as far as I can see by only having 1GB ram , if you don't have a good enough CPU a higher spec card may be bottle necked by it making the upgrade pointless.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
FUll Specs or you get bad info.

CPU/RAM/MOBO/PS/GPU///
you know the drill, give us everything or you will waste yer $$

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
there isn't much he can choose from at that price to be able to run GTA V properly, so it doesn't matter that much.

you could also go with a 770 or 960 they are pretty much the same performance wise although the 770 is a bit better but the 960 is somewhat cheaper.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:02 AM
link   
You need to list your other hardware to make the best decision for you.

I would say get the best GPU you can afford, then over clock.

Use google and find one of the many GPU comparison sites so you can directly compare performance between your current card and a new one, buying GPUs is very tricky because even though they are newer and have a higher model number, some are just rebranded and almost exact performance as the previous generation cards, or worse!

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:23 AM
link   
a reply to: porschedrifter

On my way home now will post specs soon.
Cheers all.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:48 AM
link   

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name GAVINNUGENT-PC
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model GA-78LMT-USB3
System Type x64-based PC
Processor AMD FX(tm)-4130 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Award Software International, Inc. FA, 23/04/2013
SMBIOS Version 2.4
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United Kingdom
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7601.17514"
Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 7.98 GB
Available Physical Memory 4.25 GB
Total Virtual Memory 16.0 GB
Available Virtual Memory 12.1 GB
Page File Space 7.98 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Another 8 gig of ram all ready ordered btw.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

More RAM won`t make much difference with gaming in general (hardly any game needs more as 8GB).

Your MB is a Micro-ATX size, which probably means your case is also not really big (the new powerful cards are big and produce a lot of heat). Which also means that sufficient cooling might also be a problem.

CPU is not that strong to power the more powerful cards, link

And while you didn`t post your PSU, I`m willing to bet it also needs your attention (if it has enough juice (Amperes) on it rails to power better cards).

All and all concluding, I think there needs to be a lot more upgrading of components (about most of your PC) to even think about really powerful graphic cards.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join