It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tim McGraw's Sandy Hook Show Sparks Controversy

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
I ask this..why are some gun owners against free speech?

You love to bring up the constitution..but only when it is for you.

This person may be asking for limits to gun rights..but it is allowed under the first amendment. This does not mean it is law.

You gun owners only like free speech when a person advocates more guns but want to fight it when it against less guns..idiots.

Seems to me that there's an old saying about a pot and a kettle that applies to what you're saying.

Tim McGraw has a 1st amendment right to voice support for whatever cause he wants. But those same gun owners that you want so desperately to hate also have a 1st amendment right to voice their displeasure with his opinion and to boycott him and his products. Its a two-way street. Neither side is violating the 1st amendment rights of the other.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Onslaught2996
Are most gun owners and the NRA really this petty and paranoid?

Seems so.

But what these people don't get is that something will either succeed or fail on its own merits. If people there support tighter gun control laws, tough titties! Don't like it? Campaign against it.

Either way, the need for gun control will increase as long as gun violence like Sandy Hook continues. Maybe if the NRA and the ranting Republicans spent half as much time and effort trying to prevent gun violence as they do trying to protect the right for someone to own a weapon of war designed for killing in a conflict zone, rather than hunting or self defense, there wouldn't be a problem?

All the effort being wasted by irrational gun nuts could be better spent trying to find solutions to the problem of mass shootings. Instead, they demand that people ignore the genuine problem and waste their time attempting to paint any effort others make to prevent it as being an attack on their rights.

And once again we have the right-wing hypocrisy of waving their constitution when it suits them, and ignoring it when they want to attack the rights of others.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rocker2013

Either way, the need for gun control will increase as long as gun violence like Sandy Hook continues.

Apparently not since gun control laws have relaxed more in the last 10 years than the 2 decades prior and the murder rate continues to decline.

All the effort being wasted by irrational gun nuts could be better spent trying to find solutions to the problem of mass shootings. Instead, they demand that people ignore the genuine problem and waste their time attempting to paint any effort others make to prevent it as being an attack on their rights.

What's the solution to the problem of mass shootings? Let's hear your ideas. "Irrational gun nuts" would love to solve that issue but you're going to have to come up with something better than "pass more laws" since, last I checked, murder is illegal and that has done nothing to stop them.

And once again we have the right-wing hypocrisy of waving their constitution when it suits them, and ignoring it when they want to attack the rights of others.

Except that every rational person who has read the thread acknowledges that we all have a right to disagree with something and/or boycott when it suits us. This group can say what they want, Tim McGraw can play there if he wants, and gun owners can disagree with the whole thing if we want.

Read the First Amendment before you try to claim that anyone is "attacking the rights of others." Turns out, the First Amendment doesn't say anything about having the right to state your opinion without opposition.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Rocker2013

"Gun nuts" huh ? Nothing like needless name calling to drive your point home Right ? And republicans ? I know plenty of democrats who hold CCw permits , always carry and support gun rights .

There already plenty of laws on the books , what new laws would stop this type of violence ? You anti "gun nuts" are very vocal against guns and scream for more laws but bring nothing to the table but hysterical hand wringing .

edit on 26-4-2015 by Stonecutter45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stonecutter45
a reply to: Rocker2013

"Gun nuts" huh ? Nothing like needless name calling to drive your point home Right ? And republicans ? I know plenty of democrats who hold CCw permits , always carry and support gun rights .

There already plenty of laws on the books , what new laws would stop this type of violence ? You anti "gun nuts" are very vocal against guns and scream for more laws but bring nothing to the table but hysterical hand wringing .

Yeah, it's quite silly. I know plenty of people with liberal leanings on most issues who own guns and support gun rights.

I happen to be one of them.

I'm pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, an atheist, support measures to reign in income inequality, and I oppose war-mongering.

I also happen to be a licensed manufacturer and dealer of firearms including machineguns and silencers. I'm a firearm instructor and competitive shooter. Also, a veteran.

Stereotype that, buttheads.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Answer

I agree with your take on this...your stereotype would still be a "lefty"..... but, one who likes guns.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

A couple of my closest friends are liberals , they take pretty much the same stands as you . They do not carry ONE weapon , but two . Both wear sports jackets every where they go to cover their shoulder rigs and they each carry one in an ankle holster .

I am Republican and support gun rights and tell them that even I find that overkill LOL . But gun rights is not a right vs left battle except for the political lemmings .

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stonecutter45
But gun rights is not a right vs left battle except for the political lemmings .

It's a "rational, informed position" vs "emotional, misled position" battle.

I've converted several people from anti-gun to neutral at the very least. Most often, when a person is properly informed about the issue, they drop their anti-gun stance. They don't always come completely around to liking guns but they at least realize that everything they thought they knew about guns was wrong.

Most anti-gun folks have only been exposed to the negative talk about firearms and they really aren't aware of the facts... this is why you won't find someone who was once pro-gun that suddenly converted to being anti-gun but the opposite happens constantly.

It's a position inspired by ignorance... just like most of the polarizing issues in our society.
edit on 4/26/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Petty and paranoid when there are gun laws coming into effect already?

Would assume a lot of his fans are also gun owners who may be worried about control issues. He may have some issues from them first off. But also that isn't he the pop music of country-not that it isn't pop anyway? With his popularity he'd probably then have many donations from the likely crowed interesting in a gun control agenda.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:53 PM
link   
IMO, these "Promise" programs (See Promise Neighborhood initiatives) are grant-money syphons. I believe this Sandy Hook Promise is part of that initiative, if I'm not mistaken. (www.sandyhookpromise.org...) The useless Dept. of Education issues these, and "community leaders" get the $$$$$ to "educate" some targeted segment of society.

These "leaders" build plans, design models, identify research-based programs, create clear metrics, and work to "braid" public and private funding. BUT, does anything of measurable success ever really get built or successfully implemented?! Or, are these programs just more ways to syphon money out of taxpayers with just a promise of something.

Also, I have a question. Tragic as it was, why do the parents of the children killed need benefit money? If the breadwinner of the family had been lost, I could understand it.

edit on 26-4-2015 by queenofswords because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: queenofswords
Also, I have a question. Tragic as it was, why do the parents of the children killed need benefit money? If the breadwinner of the family had been lost, I could understand it.

Because Americans' response to everything is "throw some money at it so it'll go away."

It's easier to send a few bucks to some "cause" than it is to actually do something. Unfortunately, there are multitudes of "non-profits" with extremely high-paid managers that are more than willing to take people's money.
edit on 4/26/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   
a reply to: Onslaught2996

Why do you vent on the gun owners and the NRA?
They didn't do this.

How can you prove that the NRA/gun owners suffer from paranoia?
Attack the person that your upset with.
edit on 1-5-2015 by John_Rodger_Cornman because: added content

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Gun owners AREN"T looking to stop free speech, or infringe on RIGHTS.

Anti-2nd people are very much pushing for infringement.

All are free and open to speak their minds.

Please show me where those that want the Constitution followed, are pushing to stop people in this case from speaking their mind.

posted on May, 1 2015 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Except as pointed out. It isn't for the victims.

Clearly you like overlooking facts and such, to push your agenda.

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 09:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: macman

Gun owners AREN"T looking to stop free speech, or infringe on RIGHTS.

Anti-2nd people are very much pushing for infringement.

All are free and open to speak their minds.

Please show me where those that want the Constitution followed, are pushing to stop people in this case from speaking their mind.

That's easy.

Anytime a pro gun person disagrees with someone that is anti-gun...

posted on May, 2 2015 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: projectvxn

That's easy.

Anytime a pro gun person disagrees with someone that is anti-gun...

Yeah, I'm not sure where people got the idea that the First Amendment offers some sort of protection against someone who disagrees with their idiotic nonsense but people need to get a clue.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join