It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Worm for PHP Message Boards. (from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This is an ineresting item about a worm that infects message boards that use PHP such as Above Top Secret. I am a software engineer and find it amazing that people, most likely kids have time to sit down and write malicious code. I wonder what they could do if they focused on positive areas rather than harm. How long will it be before they can post a worm on a message board and figure out how to circumvent virus scans to take control of the home computer.

www.msnbc.msn.com
A new computer worm that attacks bulletin board services spread silently and quickly around the Internet Tuesday, infecting at least 38,000 systems within a few hours, experts said. The worm does not attack home computers, but consumers might encounter its effects. Bulletin boards that are infected will show a simple text message: "This site is defaced!!! This site is defaced!!! NeverEverNoSanity."

advertisement

The worm only attacks widely used message board software called PHP Bulletin Board. Other than displaying the text message, it does nothing malicious to infected computers, according to antivirus firm Kaspersky Labs. Because it spread rather quickly Tuesday morning, F-Secure Corp. issued an alert about Santy.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I have not seen this on ATS and hope I don't. My firewall and virus scan pick up nasties on web pages a lot, but this makes me wonder how long it will take to be able to take over my pc by just READING a message board.

[edit on 12/21/2004 by just_a_pilot]

posted on Dec, 21 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
I posted this on xmb's main site and they pointed out this line called PHP Bulletin Board.. There must be a board system called PHP Bulletin Board around that its attacking, so its not all boards made with php. (I hope)

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
I saw that it's inflicted damage on the message forum for my hometown.

www.restonweb.com...

The rest of the site is okay.

[edit on 22-12-2004 by lchoro]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I've read about this worm, it only attacks forums who run on PHPbb code. Ours is based on XMB, which is totally different from PHPbb. Also, the ATS code has been completely rebuild by SO, almost everything has been changed/improved.

So we're pretty safe

The virus is pretty effective, check this out: www.google.com...

[edit on 12-22-2004 by Zion Mainframe]

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   
I went to another bboard that I frequent last night and found it down. Then another. And another. I'm curious just when it hit, was it the last couple of days? Seems that it blitzed through the bboard communities.

posted on Dec, 22 2004 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jadette
I went to another bboard that I frequent last night and found it down. Then another. And another. I'm curious just when it hit, was it the last couple of days? Seems that it blitzed through the bboard communities.

It "blitzed" through the boards as you put it, because the worm uses Google, to find the boards...ingenious no?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

top topics

join