It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would We Know ET if we Saw It?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:34 AM
link   
I’m not convinced of alien visitation, but I do keep my mind open to the possibility. There are many things that we don’t know about our world, our minds, our spirits/souls. I don’t mean to get all metaphysical here, but the point is I think it’s foolish to close your mind off completely to the possibility that the Earth has been visited by ETs.

Would we even know if we had been visited? There are thousands of theories about what would happen if we were to be happened upon by a more advanced civilization. It’s completely possible they would be so different they wouldn’t recognize us as life forms.

Perhaps aliens would sense and interact with the world in a completely different way. I read in a (very thought provoking) book by Michael Crichton, a theory that ETs could perceive their environment by feeling pressure or temperature. Subtle air currents, vibrations etc...Or perhaps they see as we do, but in a different part of the color spectrum. There might be no common ground between us and such a being at all, no way of communicating.

Crichton asks:

...how would you explain Wordsworth's poem about daffodils to a blind watersnake?

Sphere

It is for this reason that I feel programs like SETI are probably useless. What basis is there for assuming the aliens use radio waves?

When you water your garden, do the plants know that an intelligent being is nourishing them, connecting with them, interacting with them? Or do they think it's raining?

Could we be perceiving some form of outside interaction as something mundane?

Who is to say that an advanced alien civilization hasn't interacted with us at some point, in some way on some level beyond our current level of comprehension? No one of us can know that. And no one of us can know the likelihood of such a thing. We have absolutely no idea. So I don't think anyone call the idea of ET UFOs ludicrous. Be open to the possibility, because no one knows what ET is. No one knows how ET would show up to us, in our world, based on the perceptions of our relatively limited minds. Perhaps "they're" here, right under our noses. If so, would we be able to tell?
edit on 25-4-2015 by thesearchfortruth because: eta

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:47 AM
link   
What one of the more ignored possibilities in regards to this question is the long history of faeries and other "elemental spirits" that have inhabited our little blue marble since the dawn of our species.

Consider this.....usually when a meteor lands there is some expectatioin that it holds something inside...

But what if the meteor was the alien and it just stood up and started talking to you....

In Folklore and myth such creatures are called Trolls, Gnomes, "Stone Boys" and other assorted terms that basically mean a thing made out of rocks just talked to you.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:57 AM
link   

Hebrews 13:2-4New Life Version (NLV)

2 Do not forget to be kind to strangers and let them stay in your home. Some people have had angels in their homes without knowing it.

Be nice to your aliens.
edit on 25-4-2015 by TinfoilTP because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 04:41 AM
link   
a reply to: thesearchfortruth

I think we have a certain degree of evidence-based speculation that's available to envisage intelligent, technological aliens. I say 'intelligent, technological' because they'd have to be to be in our neighbourhood. However, we probably don't have the concepts or words to imagine what Kaku and Kardeshev call Type 2/3 civilisations. Arthur C. Clarke's semi-famous law pointed out that super-advanced technology might seem to us as magic.

Types 2/3 would be so ancient, advanced and awesome that we might not even relate to how they understand the universe. The difference between us and them could be as profound as a toddler's world concept compared to that of a world-class astrophysicist. The scales of their existence would be almost unfathomable to us. Even their physical existence might be something that we'd get a headache thinking about.

For example, we're on the threshold of integrating circuitry and alloy materials into our biological bodies and transitioning towards a world where we'll be upgrading our abilities with technology - hacking our mainframes. Some call it the singularity. Type 2/3 might have pushed the boundaries so far that we would have to re-examine how we define 'life.' They could have consciousnesses that exist outside of corporeal bodies which could be replicated and sent at the speed of light to other locations. In fact, the trajectory of sentient, technological life-forms may be to leave flesh and blood behind altogether.

How would intelligence express itself when emotions and physical needs don't exist or are profoundly reduced? How would such an intelligence (or civilisation) regard a species like ours that could be so far down the evolutionary ladder we'd be like a lungfish or tree mammal to them? And how might such a civilisation view time when near-immortality renders such things as years to triviality?

Another abstract notion is how we've only recently begun to realise that burning a forest down in Brazil will have an effect on the whole world. Heavy pollution in a Chinese city will lower air quality in Brisbane etc. The world's environment is inter-connected. Now imagine that a Type 3 civ might be thinking in terms of galaxies, mutiverses and even the dimension of time itself. At that scale, there might be an ecosystem we are part of and don't have the knowledge to comprehend yet. I'm not saying that is the case, but throwing the idea out as a maybe.

We've, arguably, been sentient for a few hundred thousand years and escaped our own atmosphere just decades ago. A Type 2/3 could be a million years more advanced and practically indescribable.

Thanks for the thread. It's the first one to catch my eye all week

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Who knows, I would imagine them to be visible and kind of a scale type observation.

For instance, do the thousands of little ants in a anthill next to a highway realize humans in cars are flying by at thousands of miles per hour from their perspective?

I think its the same type of thing with us, they would have to be small enough to fit into our observable scale and comprehension.

Maybe the entire universe is a grain of dirt in a pile on a giant planet, but we can't comprehend the size like ants. The planets are similar to neutrons to them.

It makes more sense with the infinite size of space.
Mind blowing thoughts.

The plant analogy is pretty cool, there have seen studies, I found interesting with plants reactions to negative environments, when given equal light and nutrients, but one has violent metal music, and one has soft classical music, the growth rates increase with the classical. So they are an odd one for sure.

I think mythbusters tried an experiment, but it wasn't very involved or long term. I think it focused more on thoughts.

Another mind blowing thought is if time travel ever gets invented than it will potentially already be invented.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 06:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7

The plant analogy is pretty cool, there have seen studies, I found interesting with plants reactions to negative environments, when given equal light and nutrients, but one has violent metal music, and one has soft classical music, the growth rates increase with the classical. So they are an odd one for sure.
And recently they've discovered that if one tree is lacking a nutrient; other trees (by using fungi as a transport system) will sent the needed nutrient to the tree!

On topic.
CROP CIRCLES

While I agree that most are man made, there is always the chance that an alien species might choose to draw on the planet surface to see whether they get a reaction from the small wobbly blobs of flesh that inhabit it.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Would We Know ET if we Saw It?

It depends if ET was in disguise or not

edit on 25-4-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 07:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesearchfortruth
Would we even know if we had been visited?

Here's a picture of the week from MUFON case file 26876 which doesn't really make me think of aliens:

www.mufon.com...

Now if someone took a real picture like this CGI image, then I'd start to think "Aliens!".

Aside from something along these lines someone would have to unearth a dead alien that's more convincing than the "Starchild" which is probably just an odd human. Aliens might be more "alien".

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesearchfortruth

It’s completely possible they would be so different they wouldn’t recognize us as life forms.

Probably far less probable than you thing...Consider;

Extraterrestrials, the advanced, sentient, space faring kind; necessarily come from a world that is VERY MUCH LIKE EARTH! Which is to say; ET comes from a world in the Habitable Zone of a class "K", "G", or "F" star...probability of exception is vanishingly small...

So...ET's world is much like Earth. After that is it more a matter of time and evolution. So...how much more advanced is ET? ET was flying chemical powered airspace planes 500 years ago...just about where Earth was a couple of decades ago.

Who is to say that an advanced alien civilization hasn't interacted with us at some point, in some way on some level beyond our current level of comprehension? No one of us can know that. And no one of us can know the likelihood of such a thing. We have absolutely no idea.

Actually we CAN know these things...By observing the kinds of craft, and activities ET engages in we can learn a lot about ET...

We can learn that ET is perhaps not so advanced as many would like to think...for instance; if we took a "Zippo" back far enough in time, the "natives" would think we had a magic fire producing box. Yet the science and technology involved is not really beyond that early Human...after all, you and that early Human are essentially the same in virtually every respect.

There are other things we can learn about ET; like where he calls "home". Based on long standing, multiple myth, legend, from a number of cultures that are separated by time and distance...it can be determined, with a good deal of confidence, that ET is from one of only 3 or perhaps 4 locations, all near the Earth.

The best part of this; we can use current Terrestrial science to learn all of these things.

Perhaps "they're" here, right under our noses. If so, would we be able to tell?

Yes, you should be able to tell the difference! The question is; "are you ready to accept reality?"

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: Arbitrageur
Aliens might be more "alien".

Seriously; y'all NEED to get over the whole "Alien" thing...it is getting in your way!

Extraterrestrials do not need to be "alien", and could easily be indistinguishable from Terrestrials, except in the fine detail.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:26 AM
link   

In addition to sensory input incompatibilities, there may be dramatic metabolism differences as well which could thwart all but the most carefully constructed communications. Think about a conversation between a tortoise and a hummingbird.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:40 AM
link   

S&F

This is a good thread. IMO, this is a central point to consider.

I have so much to say... Kandinsky (and thorneblood) pretty much covers most of what i would've said with their awesome posts.

Im sure KPB will have some more to add with his/her impressive insight and will be on here soon enough.

This must be the first thread in a good few weeks that is actually worth coming back to.

So much more to add, but i will take it slow!

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 08:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thorneblood
What one of the more ignored possibilities in regards to this question is the long history of faeries and other "elemental spirits" that have inhabited our little blue marble since the dawn of our species.

In Folklore and myth such creatures are called Trolls, Gnomes, "Stone Boys" and other assorted terms that basically mean a thing made out of rocks just talked to you.

You do understand that these are, by way of tradition, a wholly different order of being than Humans or Extraterrestrials? These "elemental" types have been around, and interacted with, for 1000's of years, there is very little that is not understood about them...

So...perhaps y'all need to decide, or figure out; which it is ...a mundane physical being, or some perhaps fantastic, non-physical being (that is non-physical, as differentiated from Spiritual).

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Well we won't recognize ET if they look just like us!

Which is what a lot of people who believe they have been abducted by aliens, believe was the point of taking so many humans. They needed genetic stock to interlace with their own genes to look more and more human with the generations. By the time they are here among us, we won't recognize them from ourselves. If abduction victims are right - they could be among us already.

I've always felt that in order for an alien species to build... it's going to need a few things. Like arms and fingers and a thumb for dexterity and working with small parts. So I won't be surprised when we do meet an alien species very different from us, that they are still humanoid in construction. Scale, fur, blue skin, bony protuberances aside - I still think a basic form needs to be achieved in order to build up a technological civilization.

Unless of course, the spaceship is the organism... I want a Moira... anyways - great thread! S&F

CdT

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
a reply to: Thorneblood

Jacques Vallee would agree.

We have a predetermined notion of what an alien looks like due to pop culture and whatever the grapevine has to offer. Greys, Nordics, Draconians....Who's to say they don't look like bananas or staplers? we have yet to meet E.T so all we can do is guess, However there are a few educated guesses that could be right on the money.

edit on 25-4-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-4-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   

No.Theyve always been here, are still here, and we ignore all the evidence. We're still looking for arms and legs, eyes and feet creatures flying around in "ship" or "orbs"...as if thats what we will eventually find.

Thats how infantile our assumptions are....they could be air, or something we see everyday and keep walking.

We havent clue as to what we are looking for. Thats why I know they, them, he, she, those or it...are already here.

We need to quit putting them in common to movies, books and video games....we are waaaaaay off and havent a clue what to look for....
edit on 25-4-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: CirqueDeTruth

The sentient ship prone to galavanting around the galaxy was an Irish girl, naturally.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie

We have a predetermined notion of what an alien looks like due to pop culture and whatever the grapevine has to offer. Greys, Nordics, Draconians....Who's to say they don't look like bananas or staplers? we have yet to meet E.T so all we can do is guess, However there are a few educated guesses that could be right on the money.

Actually...not so true...pop culture has received the notion of what ET looks like from myth and legend...some 1000's of years old, and from many different cultures, separated by time and distance...any yet remain consistent over the 1000's of years that have passed.

Who's to say ET doesn't look like bananas, or what ever? Nature, simple logic, common sense. And IF that is not enough; ET himself centuries ago....check out Hermes...an ET who said; "As above, so below."

When speculating on ET, it is important to understand that ET is a flesh and blood creature just like you. He evolved on a planet, not unlike Earth, He probably isn't all that advanced, certainly not 1000's of years or more...and probably only decades or a few 100 years.

You need to give up your notions of "Alien" and embrace the reality of what / how that life can be supported, and allowed to evolve....when you do you will begin to understand that Earth is typical of world where advanced sentient space faring species come from...

By the way there are 3 perhaps 4 species visiting Earth currently:
Nommo...reptilians, from Nu2 Canis Majoris.
Nordics, tall whites, pleiadians...39 Tauri
Grays...Zeta 2 Reticuli

A Human appearing species from Upsilon Andromeda...perhaps, may be Gliese 67.

edit on 25-4-2015 by tanka418 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Who says all aliens breathe oxygen? It could be that our humble biosphere is hostile to their existence. Bad bad thought what if in their adaptations they require some of our pollution as the standard fare for breathing. They would think the direction this planet is taking gets better and better.
If they are beyond our comprehension we are probably beneath theirs. Only being close to the same level can converse. Lest they be taken for gods.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   
In the for what its worth department, I was reading an article on Open Minds the other day about Paul Hellyer. He of course has made many claims, one of which is that there is a government conspiracy regarding ufo's. But he mentioned in this story that there were as many as 80 different alien species we know of, most are not hostile towards humans, but he did say a few were........he also said some species we could walk right past and would not know they were in fact alien.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join