It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Car Companies Say Home Repairs Are 'Legally Problematic,' Seek Copyright Restrictions

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
Modify, maybe.

Repair never. If I replace a CD or DVD drive in my computer, I am not breaking copyright laws.
If copyright laws were an issue we wouldn't have aftermarket parts, in cars or computing.

Aftermarket parts is certainly an issue as they enable us to fix our own cars. If they take away the need or availability of the aftermarket suppliers, they are also gaining a way to force obsolescence of your vehicle should the parts needed to fix it not be available anymore.

I built my own fuel injection computer for my Mustang and had to fight the California Air Resources Board for 6 months to get it registered. Fortunately, I was able to mimic the OBD-I Diagnostic codes and attached a proper connector under my dash panel to allow them to scan it.

There have to be more folks like me out there that love to tinker and that is a freedom we should be able to keep. It is good for the economy to keep automotive stores in business and to keep the creative and inventive culture of car enthusiasts alive. I wouldn't mind better recycling and recyclability of the used parts but I do not like the idea of a car being tethered to a manufacturer for life, however long "they" decide that car will last.

posted on Apr, 27 2015 @ 09:51 PM
link   
a reply to: dogstar23

They just don't want people perfecting their techniques.

I know of people disabling their EGR and other emission sensors and regulators to optimize fuel effiency in newer pickup trucks.... People with the new Fords, raising the fuel economy from 12 miles per gallon to upwards of 21. Given they can't live to certain states because of the emission laws as you stated. I once had had a modified Hyundai, with a little computer tweaking, I had low torque (around 150 lbs), but had 230 HP and still pushing 32 miles a gallon.

None of this is about safety, its about optimizing the systems which our automakers will not do, IMO. Look at the vehicles made in Europe. They get triple the milage ours do.... And we can't import them. Why? We lose massive money in taxes. Same thing would happen if they continues to let people modify their vehicles after purchase to get double the manufacturer programmed milage, more power, and overall increased performance.

Again, just my opinion.

posted on Apr, 28 2015 @ 10:36 AM
link   
SEMA

posted on Apr, 29 2015 @ 01:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA
a reply to: StargateSG7
The closest thing to that, with a factory warranty would be Sterling. Sure you can do anything with enough money but why do it on warrenty and why should warranty just trust you that you did a good job?

In me and my friend's cases the warranties are COMPLETELY VOIDED with no chance of manufacturer fixes due to all the engine and body mods made. Oh well...although i should admit if we push the Cobra's engine past 17,000 rpm and blow the heads and rods, we CAN just machine a new engine block and parts in about 3 hours...I know its kinda not fair... But it IS NICE to have access to 5-axis CNC machines, water cutters and a LOT of Titanium and composite alumina ceramic!

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join