It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado businessman blames 'stoned' workers for move to SC

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Here is Australia, most companies (the larger ones anyway) have adopted random Drug and Alcohol testing under ISO compliance and I have to make sure we (my company) reach a target of 50% testing of all employees annually......of which medical documentation is provided to my clients confirming this..

I therefore make the presumption that the states you are referring to in your OP do not have this requirement....which is strange, considering my clients are American based (Chevron, Conoco Philips, Shell, Exxon-Mobil)?

Anyway - if you come to work stoned, you will be fired on the spot if caught by a manager as we can activate a test within 10mins and refusal to succumb to a test is an admission of guilt (as per the terms of your employment contract).

Once you are home, your employer has no rights to tell you what you can and cannot do - until 0800hrs the next morning when you walk back through the door and are under the influence.

So, I am an advocate for legalization of MJ - but don't do that ship on my watch - mens lives are at stake.

Yours sincerely - an ex-doper and fellow old timer.......and someone who see's the benefits of this wonder plant way beyond "a joint or bong"

I always ask people this...

Suppose you had to have an operation and they called the doctor in. Now suppose that doctor smoked it just an hour before your operation, would you feel comfortable with him?

Anyone with a scalpel going to operate on me better not have smoked it at home just an hour before. But does that doctor have a right to do it at home?

I have had to work with people who were stoned, they could not even function working a cash register. And if you can't operate a cash register, then how would you drive safely?

Believe me, I have dealt with people like that and they always do the same thing...mumble incoherently, not do the job and then giggle the whole time thinking they were funny.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:35 PM
link   
a reply to: WarminIndy

Hypothetical...and I will play.

No I wouldn't feel comfortable, but upon my death my wife and kids would be very well looked after for the remainder of their lives - thanks the doctor druggie.

The following would concern me equally regarding the mental state of the doctor.....

1. The doctor just discovered his wife in bed with another man 1 hour before.
2. The doctor downed a few shots.
3. The doctor had taken a few pills.
4. The doctor was a racist and I was the focus of his racism.
5. The doctor simply snapped and was about to do something to make national headlines..

All occur before he "clocked on" and grabbed the scalpel.

That is the risk employers take - choose employees wisely and make it clear random D&A testing WILL occur.

BUT, you cannot control what someone does when they are not clocked-on - personal accountability is fundamental.

The Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) takes your scenario VERY seriously to the point that if a member fails a urine test I then must swab (will only pick up substances in the system within last 24hrs) and if that comes back negative he keeps his job.

BUT - I am talking about a work roster of 4 weeks on a ship (24/7) and 4 weeks off..........so my situation is a little different

What he does during his 4 weeks off is his business - but s/he's tested EVERY TIME he returns to work.

Most are smart enough to stop playing after 2 weeks and detox thereafter.

Thats the reality of it..

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

Hypothetical...and I will play.

No I wouldn't feel comfortable, but upon my death my wife and kids would be very well looked after for the remainder of their lives - thanks the doctor druggie.

The following would concern me equally regarding the mental state of the doctor.....

1. The doctor just discovered his wife in bed with another man 1 hour before.
2. The doctor downed a few shots.
3. The doctor had taken a few pills.
4. The doctor was a racist and I was the focus of his racism.
5. The doctor simply snapped and was about to do something to make national headlines..

All occur before he "clocked on" and grabbed the scalpel.

That is the risk employers take - choose employees wisely and make it clear random D&A testing WILL occur.

BUT, you cannot control what someone does when they are not clocked-on - personal accountability is fundamental.

The Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) takes your scenario VERY seriously to the point that if a member fails a urine test I then must swab (will only pick up substances in the system within last 24hrs) and if that comes back negative he keeps his job.

BUT - I am talking about a work roster of 4 weeks on a ship (24/7) and 4 weeks off..........so my situation is a little different

What he does during his 4 weeks off is his business - but s/he's tested EVERY TIME he returns to work.

Most are smart enough to stop playing after 2 weeks and detox thereafter.

Thats the reality of it..

I agree, those are problems.

But I am sure your wife and kids would rather have you.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Shakespeare did.

I actually talk to fast as it stands, slowing me down makes it much easier to understand

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Shakespeare did.

I actually talk to fast as it stands, slowing me down makes it much easier to understand

Ummm, no. That has not been proven because the man who wanted to find out didn't exactly exhume the body. Better try again.

And the pipes found, cannot be proven to be his. That is all mere speculation, so please show us the actual evidence.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: pteridine

What they don't mention is that it is tough to tell the difference when growing the other brand in with the hemp. I wonder what their subtle plan is.

Hemp and Marijuana are the same plant, but they are two different "varieties" if you will.

Hemp is grown for its fiber - the stalks, stems, branches - not the leaves or flowers. Hemp growers want tall spindly plants without many branches, and they grow them close together, like maize or sugar cane. The variety chosen for hemp cropping will consistently grow lots of fiber and contain almost negligible amounts of cannabinoids.

Marijuana is grown for its leaves and, especially, flowers. These plants are given plenty of room and are carefully pruned encourage branching to maximize flower budding locations. The plants grow relatively short and bushy and the varieties have been 'bred up' to select for high quantities of THC.

There is no difficulty what-so-ever in telling the two crops apart by simply looking at them. They are trivial to distinguish in Aerial photographs, even by computer algorithms.

It is impossible to 'disguise' a marijuana crop inside a hemp crop - and anyway, to do so would destroy the value of the marijuana crop. Mixing the pollen of the hemp with the marijuana will drastically reduce the THC concentration in the marijuana. Marijuana growers don't want their plants anywhere near a hemp crop, for the same reason that a sweet corn (human consumption) farmer wants a feed corn crop anywhere near his sweet corn - it destroys the value of the crop.
edit on 26/4/2015 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

edit on 26/4/2015 by rnaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I disagree. If you have a moderate amount of cannabis it enhances your ability to think and see. It even influences more creativity. It's when people abuse it, like they abuse alcohol, when it becomes ineffective. This is just a push from some guy who probably has his hands dirty in the synthetic pharmaceutical companies. It usually is. a reply to: TinfoilTP

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Ya he was probably just holding them for a friend

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 01:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

originally posted by: tinker9917
Why is it that a lot of people in this thread seem to think it is ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time?

I actually haven't seen anyone in the thread say that. Pretty much every one in this thread has stated that if someone shows up to work high, the business owner should definitely have the right to fire them.

Just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean you have to make stuff up and put words in people's mouths to discredit your opposition.

There's a hell of a lot of grey area between "Marijuana should be legalized" and "it's ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time".

Knock it off with the intellectual dishonesty.

Maybe you should quote my whole statement, not just part of it... and make what stuff up????
edit on 26-4-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

(post by 8675309jenny removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TarzanBeta

I know that the pot heads will always have a defense. That's fine. You do that. Yes, cannabis can be used for medicine. So can other drugs. So what? They can also be poisons, too... just like anything else.

As for the gentleman who moved his business supposedly because of stoners... well... good. So he gets more benefits in another state and gets away from zombies. Who can blame him? It's his business.

Stoners=Zombies in your mind?

Actually Cannabis is quite non-toxic. Not sure what the LD-50 level is, but it is measured in kgs if one does exist.

That is great you recognize the medicinal value of the plant , but according to the Federal Government a Schedule 1 substance has NO medicinal value.

Obviously something is wrong with the way the drug laws are written, and all efforts to amend out dated laws have been stonewalled(no pun intended).

I don't think personal use of the plant is permitted as per ATS ToCs, even if it paints the plant in a negative manner. That means you Jenny8765309.
edit on 26-4-2015 by jrod because: drunk

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 03:30 AM
link   
This whole thread is ridiculous. Like most threads on ATS nowadays. You are all right and you are all wrong. No, you should not smoke at work, just like you should not drink at work. After work, if its legal in your state for recreational, or its legal medicinally and you have your card, go for it. Just like its okay to have a drink after work. Or have a cigarette after work. Or to swim after work. Or to post on a message board while foaming at the mouth after work.

Everybody responds differently to every drug. So just because pot was horrible for you or someone you know. It was wonderful for somebody else. Just like some people get angry and want to fight when they get drunk and some people want to hug and others act no different and can handle it. Or how some people take anti depressants and are less depressed and some people take the same anti depressant and become more depressed. Quit thinking the world revolves around you and your experience is the be all end all experience.

I'm sorry your life was destroyed or a friend or family members life was destroyed. I'm sorry you can not handle pot. You should not smoke it then. The same goes for the pro pot people who can see no negatives. I'm happy pot saved your life or stopped your pain. I'm happy you can use it to relax. But understand that some people can't because they get mentally, not physically addicted. Some people are lost with a hole in their heart and soul. Some people abuse things to fill that hole.

The abuse of anything is bad. Abusing food is bad. Abusing alcohol is bad. Abusing prescription drugs is bad. Abusing non prescription drugs can be bad. Abusing sex can be bad. Abusing almost anything can be bad. So again everyone is right and everyone is wrong on this subject, especially when you hold to your teams side with your fingers in your ears ignoring what the opposition says. Everyone is different. Since everyone is different. Everyone's experience is different. Since everyone's experience is different. Everyone's reality is different. Pot is good for some. Pot is bad for some.

Oh, and remember. If you are against Colorado legalizing pot. Your are against democracy. This is what the people wanted. This seems to be what a lot of the people in the country want. If you do not like it vote against it. If you do like it. Vote for it. Now you know, and knowing is half the battle. Sorry for this interruption. You may all go back to arguing and not listening to anyone but yourself. After all your friggin awesome right.

edit on 26-4-2015 by karmicecstasy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 06:22 AM
link   

HA!

If the businessman in question thinks that he is going to hire sculptors, designers and artists who do not partake of the odd smoke, then he is either deluded, or merely foolish.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Reads like a LaGuardia scam: www.counterpunch.org...

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80

Ya he was probably just holding them for a friend

Please show us the actual evidence apart from speculation that Shakespeare smoked marijuana.

I still refer to Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, Chagall, Vermeer and other as being proof that creativity needs no help from marijuana.

As Shakespeare said

Captain of our fairy band, Helena is here at hand, And the youth, mistook by me, Pleading for a lover's fee. Shall we their fond pageant see? Lord, what fools these mortals be! A Midsummer Nights Dream Act 3, scene 2, 110–115

If you need marijuana to be creative, then perhaps you weren't gifted with the natural ability to be be creative? Do you suppose?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: tinker9917

Can You read at all ? I said I work alone, if I want to be a threat to myself that's my choice, millions of people drink in bars and drive home , THAT is endangering others. Fact is , I surf, I could be medicated on a wave or a roof and there is no difference, if BALANCE is your issue, its not an issue.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Please show us the actual evidence apart from speculation that Shakespeare smoked marijuana.

I don't think anyonw really knows who Shakespeare was, but it seems his writings lauded the substance.

Even more conspicuous is Sonnet 76, which contains Shakespeare's references to a 'noted weed' and 'compounds strange' -- 'compound' known as early as 1530 to mean a substance formed by a chemical union of two or more ingredients:

Why is my verse so barren of new pride,
So far from variation or quick change?
Why with the time do I not glance aside
To new-found methods and to compounds strange?
Why write I still all one, ever the same,
And keep invention in a noted weed,
That every word doth almost tell my name,
Showing their birth and where they did proceed? (1-8)

And Sonnet 118 divulges:

Like as, to make our appetites more keen,
With eager compounds we our palate urge. (1-2)

Did Marijuana Fuel Shakespeare's Genius?

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: Answer

Why is it that a lot of people in this thread seem to think it is ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time?

I actually haven't seen anyone in the thread say that. Pretty much every one in this thread has stated that if someone shows up to work high, the business owner should definitely have the right to fire them.

Just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean you have to make stuff up and put words in people's mouths to discredit your opposition.

There's a hell of a lot of grey area between "Marijuana should be legalized" and "it's ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time".

Knock it off with the intellectual dishonesty.

Maybe you should quote my whole statement, not just part of it... and make what stuff up????

I edited to avoid the dreaded "wall of text" but since you insist...

Why is it that a lot of people in this thread seem to think it is ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time? Would that be ok with alcohol??? NO... not with alcohol and not ok with pot either.

Who wants to live high all the time??? or drunk all the time??? I feel sorry for the ones who want to live like that. Sure, end of the day wind down... but all day every day???? I have better things to accomplish in life than that.

How does that change anything that I said in response to your statement?

No one in this thread has said "it's ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time". No one has said "I want to live high all the time."

Therefore, as I said before, you are putting words into people's mouths to discredit your opposition.

I'm not sure why I had to repeat myself for you to get it... but I digress.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 12:07 PM
link   

I never said you had to have it to be creative.
An artist does not have to use it, just seems like a lot of them do.

I also said it doesn't just give you creativity out of no where.

posted on Apr, 26 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

A boss requiring that his dinosaurs have personality is complaining that OTHERS are stoned?! Say again?

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join