It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado businessman blames 'stoned' workers for move to SC

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
a reply to: pteridine

How does it feel to be some much better then them?

I don't think they shared their views with you at all and you made it all up.

And if they really did tell you what you said, they know very little about the cultivation of the flower that people consume and hemp.

These folks amuse me, 'dude.' You just can't get enough fist-bumps in a normal human life span.

What you think does not concern me in the least. Yes, they know zero about cultivation; they just use and plan for the happy days of continual feel-good with free joints to help them realize their full potential. Obviously, they have been suppressed because they were beyond traditional education and no one understood how good they were. Their concept is that if everyone grows hemp, they figure they can grow too without being noticed.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I certainly think its any employers right to insist that the people he pays wages to don't turn up for work half baked. If that's what he wants then they should respect that. If an employer says don't turn up for work wearing sneakers then that's the rules and weed should be no different.

I'm all for legalization (just not state controlled Pseudo legalization) but i wouldn't want people working for me smashed.

edit on 25-4-2015 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Grimpachi

originally posted by: pteridine
a reply to: Grimpachi Your comment may be true but there are several I know who support the Hemp Society that have told me that when everyone is growing hemp, it will be easier to grow special hemp. I have no real concern about cannabis, just about those who smoke it and hop into a car believing that their good feeling makes them better drivers than when they were sober, much like the boozers. You seem to have studied the botany in detail. Are you a member of the Hemp Society?

I am not part of the hemp society and don't smoke anything stronger than a cigaret. In fact, the only drug I partake is alcohol, but only on occasion.

I am just one of those people who use a computer for more than just spreading BS on forums and likes to actually know what he is talking about. You should try it sometime.

Instead of trying to recollect what the people from the hemp society are saying you could find some factual information.

As far as driving while intoxicated that would be illegal no matter what the substance is and the people who think different will eventually pay a price.

I'm happy for you that you think you know what you are talking about and that you use a computer. My comments on the super critical CO2 extractor were correct and were not well known until fairly recently, especially the part about fortifying lesser goods with THC from waste materials. Growers from Colorado driving 1500 miles and buying over $1 million worth of extractors and paying cash is not on the internet, yet it happened. My comments on the increase in electrical demand were true and that is on the net for you to 'research.' The hemp society has been pushing...their agenda for a long time and has attracted support from the cannabis users, maybe unsought, but support is support.

Keep in mind that not everything is accessible by computer and what is accessible is not always true. Wiki on, 'dude.'

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Monger
This thread is a wonderful example of the dying gasps of a mentality on the way out. Look at how hateful the OP is to anybody with a differing POV. Sad old timer can't handle the changing times. Life is for the living.

TinfoilTP does that with every topic about which he feels strongly.

He can never support his opinion with fact so he attacks the opposition and he is THE MASTER of the strawman argument.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

a reply to: tinker9917

I just asked for you to show how it can all be traced back to legalization.
All I have gotten is anecdotal and that anecdotal is not really problems.

Not having homes to sell is a good thing, the housing market needs to rebound, if legal weed gets people to move to colorado it is a good thing.
Do you see the state complaining about the issue?

We use to call entire housing tracks out here in CA foreclosure forest cause it seemed like every other house had a for sale sign with no one in it.

I still don't get how you can attribute lack of jobs to the legalization.
Massive new industry equals new jobs.

Do you have sources other then "I live here and you don't"?

Here is an article about lack of housing and affordability. No, we can't blame it all on legalization, but it is a large contributor.
The Denver Post

While high costs and the lack of housing are deeply personal struggles for many families, they also carry a danger for the larger economy.

If not addressed, the shortfall could slow future job gains and erode the sales tax revenues so vital to state and local governments, according to a report released last week by Housing Colorado, which represents the state's affordable housing industry.

"What you have now is an affordability problem," said economist Elliot Eisenberg, in a presentation to state legislators and others Monday. "You are not building enough houses."

Colorado ranks among the top five states when it comes to creating jobs and attracting new residents. But construction, for a variety of reasons, hasn't kept pace. Home prices and rents are rising sharply, while the incomes needed to pay them are stagnant.

And while multifamily permits, especially along the Front Range, have surged to levels not seen since 2002, the new supply hasn't prevented some of the steepest rent increases in the country.

A study on Thursday from Zillow showed that a renter now needs to make $35 an hour to afford the median-priced rental in metro Denver, or almost 4½ times Colorado's minimum wage.

Brighton used to be considered affordable compared to more expensive areas like Denver and Boulder. But three-bedroom rents at the city's newest apartment complex run $1,675 a month — which would demand an annual salary of about $67,000 to be considered affordable.

At Almost Home, people routinely come in who are spending 70 percent of their paychecks on rent and are desperate.

When such a large share of income goes to rent, even small and unexpected expenses can tip someone over the edge into homelessness, Moore said, recalling one family's downward spiral that started with a flat tire.

And as rents and home prices shoot ever higher, more middle-income households are getting squeezed.

"Before, my biggest concern was those needing (subsidized) housing," Moore said. "Now it is working folks — the nurses, paramedics and police officers."

Of the single-family home starts this year in the metro area, only 17 percent were priced below $300,000, compared with 40 percent in 2012, notes analyst John Covert with Metrostudy.

Higher housing costs wouldn't hurt so much if incomes kept pace, but they haven't, partly because so many of the new jobs created in this recovery pay on the lower end of the wage scale.

The study found that with families so stretched, city governments are increasingly finding themselves called on to provide assistance with food and utilities, help normally handled by county human services.

With more and more going to rent and mortgage payments, residents also have much less money to spend on items that generate the sales tax revenues city governments need to function.

Right now, many government officials still don't fully grasp the connection between housing availability and affordability and economic development, Eisenberg said. Economic developers will push hard to land jobs, while neglecting where those workers might live.

Moore recalled one City Council meeting in Brighton at which a new car wash providing 15 low-paying jobs generated excitement. He, by contrast, was worried about where those workers were going to live, given the city's vacancy rate of 0.5 percent.

"If we are creating $8 an hour jobs, we better be able to have housing for those people," he said.

And if people can't afford to live in Brighton, Moore questions where in the metro area they can afford shelter.

Housing Colorado's report estimates Colorado has a shortfall of 100,000 housing units — including around 60,000 in metro Denver — that households making $20,000 or less a year could afford.

Given that only 823 rent-subsidized units were built last year, covering that gap could take a century or more.

A successful long-term economy and labor market are contingent on having a healthy and diverse housing market, and metro Denver is falling short, Eisenberg warns.

While not there yet, metro Denver housing costs are moving more in the direction of higher-priced coastal markets like Boston, New York and San Francisco.

Eventually, high housing costs will dissuade those looking to relocate for jobs here. And while that could correct the imbalance, it would be much better for the region to find a way to ensure adequate housing supply.

"Give people a chance to lead a decent life," Eisenberg urged.

See, there is no "massive new industry", mostly low paying jobs with extremely high housing costs that are not affordable anymore due to the lack of housing.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Srrta22

He is still living in the Nixon administration, I have read him bark out MJ as schedule 1(same as heroin and coce) as defined by Nixons policy on MJ which was fraudulent.

www.truthonpot.com...

There may be issues like with anything but when someone barks out the BS like Tinfoil it is not credible and turns people away from real discussion..and it goes both ways, the pro and against.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:37 AM
link   

And no where does it mention mj legalization being the cause.

Seems it is talking inflation and wages not keeping up. I'll agree with you there but won't blame it on some thing that has only in place for a couple years.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Sremmos80

This is what it really boils down to(from tinkers info)

"Colorado ranks among the top five states when it comes to creating jobs and attracting new residents. But construction, for a variety of reasons, hasn't kept pace. Home prices and rents are rising sharply, while the incomes needed to pay them are stagnant."

Try living in Vancouver, offshore money has bought up alot of real estate..call it being a victim of success.
edit on 25-4-2015 by vonclod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Somebody blamed others for his own decisions again? Awesome, that's brilliant. He should have had a good smoke instead.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

And no where does it mention mj legalization being the cause.

Seems it is talking inflation and wages not keeping up. I'll agree with you there but won't blame it on some thing that has only in place for a couple years.

I said it is a contributor to it, not the whole cause.

I think you are reading into the article what you want it to say.

The jobs that have been created are mostly low wage jobs. The lack of housing has driven rent/housing sky high because of the demand/low availability. They are not building fast enough to meet the influx of people, some of which are here due to legalization, but of course not all..

People can charge what they want for rent, and out of desperation for housing renters will have to pay it. There is no price competition out there to gain renters, because of the lack of housing. Renters HAVE to take what they can find, affordable or not, or end up homeless.

The supply of housing is not meeting the demand of the influx of people (some, but not all, due to legalization). Therefor, rent is going sky high.

So, where's your support for the "massive industry boom" you said we have? More minimum wage jobs at Dollar Stores and WalMart because people are living penny to penny?

I think Colorado would be much better off if legalization was done in a lot of other states also, if not country wide. I wish they would've just legalized it everywhere, and maybe they will someday.

I kinda think we were another guinnea pig just to see what happened.

edit on 25-4-2015 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 02:19 PM
link   
If anything, this thread has proven how little research most people do, how defensive and manipulative pot heads can be, how easily manipulated even the non-pot smokers are, and just how little sober life experience many people here have.

I was sort of hoping for legalization before I saw this thread. Now I'm sort of just hoping it won't happen.

Marijuana destroys your level of artistic skill. If you never find a sober week to notice it, then you'll never believe it when someone tells you.

Art is not completely subjective. There are standards for art. Ask any photographer how they feel about everyone with their smart phones.

Marijuana makes -some- people feel more relaxed, therefore, they are -okay- with their product.

Marijuana never made me feel good. I somehow could see and feel through the fog of stupidity that I hated not being able to fully master myself. ON top of that, my mind is already extremely visual to the point that I must actively focus to pay attention to my external vision. Marijuana destroys my ability to focus on reality at all. It's a different world.

I know that the pot heads will always have a defense. That's fine. You do that. Yes, cannabis can be used for medicine. So can other drugs. So what? They can also be poisons, too... just like anything else.

As for the gentleman who moved his business supposedly because of stoners... well... good. So he gets more benefits in another state and gets away from zombies. Who can blame him? It's his business.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:48 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

So keeping the supply low whIle the demand is high?

Welcome to America.
That is almost the foundation of capitalism.

Again not the fault of mj.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 03:49 PM
link   
We all knew this was coming. I used to smoke it when I was young and never on the job. I have had the pleasure of working along side people who thought they worked better high. I have news for all of you that do. You don't. I've seen people lose their fingers because they couldn't grasp reality. Don't go to work high because I don't have time to watch out for you or defend myself from your stupidity.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
a reply to: LOSTinAMERICA

NO not a JOB.
THE arts YES absolutely ,a forklift NO.
if you can't wait until AFTER work like a damn professional then I do agree.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Foderalover

I work alone and Ive been on thousands of roofs, HELLO, NO ISSUES, is that what your talking about ?

If you're stoned (which you do not mention) one day, when someone below gets hurt, your ass is in the frying pan for being negligent and hurting or killing someone while under the influence.

If you're not stoned, probably ruled just an accident.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:05 PM
link   

a reply to: TinfoilTP

Just like you can't fathom that it could have benefits.

I would never say that it inhibits creativity, think you need to take a look at the history of artist and see how many of them were not sober.

I never said I don't think it can be detrimental, just that it takes more than one side of the story to show that.

I am not just gonna take his word that it was.

You don't know a thing about me, please don't imply what I need to do in my life.

I don't partake, but just cause I don't doesn't mean I am going to act like no one should.

Have you seen yourself on the stuff?

It isn't pretty to the rest of us. Who can understand your mumbling?

I'm a writer and have no problems saying no to pot.

And did Michelangelo an Leonardo da Vinci need pot?

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Why is it that a lot of people in this thread seem to think it is ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time? Would that be ok with alcohol??? NO... not with alcohol and not ok with pot either.

Who wants to live high all the time??? or drunk all the time??? I feel sorry for the ones who want to live like that. Sure, end of the day wind down... but all day every day???? I have better things to accomplish in life than that.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
Why is it that a lot of people in this thread seem to think it is ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time? Would that be ok with alcohol??? NO... not with alcohol and not ok with pot either.

Who wants to live high all the time??? or drunk all the time??? I feel sorry for the ones who want to live like that. Sure, end of the day wind down... but all day every day???? I have better things to accomplish in life than that.

BTW, isn't some of this bordering on ATS T&C?

Mods, I'm against the stuff.

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:29 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Here is Australia, most companies (the larger ones anyway) have adopted random Drug and Alcohol testing under ISO compliance and I have to make sure we (my company) reach a target of 50% testing of all employees annually......of which medical documentation is provided to my clients confirming this..

I therefore make the presumption that the states you are referring to in your OP do not have this requirement....which is strange, considering my clients are American based (Chevron, Conoco Philips, Shell, Exxon-Mobil)?

Anyway - if you come to work stoned, you will be fired on the spot if caught by a manager as we can activate a test within 10mins and refusal to succumb to a test is an admission of guilt (as per the terms of your employment contract).

Once you are home, your employer has no rights to tell you what you can and cannot do - until 0800hrs the next morning when you walk back through the door and are under the influence.

So, I am an advocate for legalization of MJ - but don't do that ship on my watch - mens lives are at stake.

Yours sincerely - an ex-doper and fellow old timer.......and someone who see's the benefits of this wonder plant way beyond "a joint or bong"

posted on Apr, 25 2015 @ 09:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: tinker9917
Why is it that a lot of people in this thread seem to think it is ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time?

I actually haven't seen anyone in the thread say that. Pretty much every one in this thread has stated that if someone shows up to work high, the business owner should definitely have the right to fire them.

Just because people disagree with you, doesn't mean you have to make stuff up and put words in people's mouths to discredit your opposition.

There's a hell of a lot of grey area between "Marijuana should be legalized" and "it's ok to get stoned day in and day out, go to work stoned, and be high all the time".

Knock it off with the intellectual dishonesty.
edit on 4/25/2015 by Answer because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join