It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado businessman blames 'stoned' workers for move to SC

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   

When workers at his Colorado business went to pot, Mark Brawner said it was enough for him to roll out of the Rockies and head for South Carolina.

The main reason we pulled out was because of marijuana,” Brawner said. “Marijuana got into our industry. Half the sculptors will come in high. As soon as we’d catch it, they’d be let go. We went through 25 sculptors. Only five of (our sculptors) either were quality or would show up unimpaired.”

When we’re asking you to sculpt a giant dinosaur, and it has to have personality and stuff, when you’re high you can’t see it. Your whole body says its good enough, when it’s not. The quality suffers.”

Colorado businessman blames 'stoned' workers for move to SC

Dopers who cannot perform their jobs yet think everything is fine. They will never admit they are worthless under the influence, but this businessman says it was a main factor in relocating.

Wonder how widespread this is in their State? Everybody showing up stoned and expecting a paycheck. Hey guess what, alcohol is legal too but you cannot show up for work drunk all the time and expect to have a job.

Now the guy says he is moving, he will not retract what he has said but he says he didn't want all of the publicity his comments from a radio show made. He is leaving so why would he want publicity there, this seems legit.

+49 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I wonder if this guy picked up and moved based on his beliefs(against pot legalization) and is now taking the opportunity to blame it in a sad attempt at vilifying it.

Other than that, I don't know, News flash: Artists smoke pot.

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
a reply to: TinfoilTP

The company's a new home is a spacious facility in North Myrtle Beach, S.C

I have a feeling it will not be long till he is saying he made a huge mistake.

That is my opinion based on where he is moving. The irony of trying to escape a drug culture and moving there is a bit to "high".

+25 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
wait so he's saying that the THC interfered with the artists creativity? This business owner is a abject moron.

+15 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Reading between the lines I came up with a few things.

-Wife wanted to move

-New location gave him 25K

Sounds like the move was going to happen one way or another.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   

So he moves to a state that is getting ready to get medical? Makes sense.

I mean he doesn't have to show it but I would love to see how the quality was down.

+20 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I don't think anyone (included "dopers") thought that legalization meant they could come into work high.

They were already doing it. This guy's just whining because he doesn't like the new law.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: BASSPLYR
wait so he's saying that the THC interfered with the artists creativity? This business owner is a abject moron.

He states as fact, 20 out of 25 artists were ejected for their lack of skill while stoned. He had an established company with a set of standards so he could compare the before and after results of when everybody thought it was ok to go work stoned because Colorado passed a law.

+4 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   
a reply to: rockintitz

I agree, I don't buy into the concept that legalization will lead to NEW smokers the very next day.

These people were smoking, probably for years(decades), they now just happen to enjoy it legally.

+16 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Is that not a cornerstone of freedom?

The freedom to make dumb choices? The freedom to sack people for those dumb choices.

And the freedom to move your buisness?

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Meh I think he should show examples if he wants to say it was a fact that the skill went down.

He can have his rules or standards and enforce them, but to say their personal skill was down would be up to more then just him.

ETA: As I said before, I know he doesn't have to show the work, but just saying that it could be up for interpretation if their skill decreased outside of just his word.
edit on thFri, 24 Apr 2015 15:37:51 -0500America/Chicago420155180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thFri, 24 Apr 2015 15:40:56 -0500America/Chicago420155680 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

edit on thFri, 24 Apr 2015 15:41:21 -0500America/Chicago420152180 by Sremmos80 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

Is that not a cornerstone of freedom?

The freedom to make dumb choices? The freedom to sack people for those dumb choices.

And the freedom to move your buisness?

Absolutely.
The dopers made dumb decisions to jeopardize their source of income by being under the influence while working.
The owner finally had enough having to fire so many artists and freely chose to move. He must have stayed and gave it a chance because it doesn't state he fired them all at once but made it sound like over a period of time. This was a setback to his business over time.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Ya he has every right to do it, I just find it strange he decides to go to a state that is in the process of relaxing its laws and since it is a big spring break location, I don't doubt it is heading in the same direction.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sremmos80
Meh I think he should show examples if he want to say it was a fact that the skill went down.

He can have his rules or standards and enforce them, but to say their personal skill was down would be up to more then just him.

ETA: As I said before, I know he doesn't have to show the work, but just saying that it could be up for interpretation rather their skill decreased outside of just his word.

Wow, you just cannot fathom that being under the influence of pot can have detrimental effects. You swallowed all of the Kool-Aid in one big gulp. The first step in recovery is realizing you have a problem, there needs to be a serious AA type program in the legalized States so all you dopers don't end up on skid row.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Wasn't there just a major government contractor/corporation that was going to move to SC, to bust the union? Not sure if this is the case, but seems like quite a move don't ya think?

I wonder if this was a union shop and this owner is using MJ as an excuse?

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Just like you can't fathom that it could have benefits.

I would never say that it inhibits creativity, think you need to take a look at the history of artist and see how many of them were not sober.

I never said I don't think it can be detrimental, just that it takes more than one side of the story to show that.

I am not just gonna take his word that it was.

You don't know a thing about me, please don't imply what I need to do in my life.

I don't partake, but just cause I don't doesn't mean I am going to act like no one should.

+6 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:44 PM
link   
That is outrageous.

Artists and sculptors are notorious for indulging with cannabis, most will tell you it helped their creativity.

This is not much different than someone moving because their neighborhood has too many minorities move in.

The FBI and friends still has trouble finding computer talent because most crack young programmers like to indulge too.
edit on 24-4-2015 by jrod because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MisterSpock

New, no, but people who haven't for years, absolutely. The second/if pot becomes legal, I'm getting stoned again for the first time in years, and I know I'm not the only one. As it's currently an illegal substance however, I'm not using it at all.

posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: seeker1963

Wasn't there just a major government contractor/corporation that was going to move to SC, to bust the union? Not sure if this is the case, but seems like quite a move don't ya think?

I wonder if this was a union shop and this owner is using MJ as an excuse?

That was an original angle I will give you that. How many blunts did it take to whirl them paranoia thoughts into that conspiracy?
Just having fun there don't get too mad.

He made giant dinosaurs that employs artists, what kind of evil union is that exactly? It sounds like a family business if his wife can influence his decisions openly, a board of directors and such does not operate that way.

+3 more 
posted on Apr, 24 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP
Dopers who cannot perform their jobs yet think everything is fine. They will never admit they are worthless under the influence, but this businessman says it was a main factor in relocating.

Wonder how widespread this is in their State? Everybody showing up stoned and expecting a paycheck. Hey guess what, alcohol is legal too but you cannot show up for work drunk all the time and expect to have a job.

Now the guy says he is moving, he will not retract what he has said but he says he didn't want all of the publicity his comments from a radio show made. He is leaving so why would he want publicity there, this seems legit.

I couldn't tell you how many this is a problem for. What I can tell you is that it's actually a benefit to some industries. Colorado has quite a software industry and being under the influence while coding and planning software has been shown to be quite beneficial.

It's so beneficial that some large companies in California have dispensaries right in their parking lot.

I wonder how much of what this man said is true vs how much is what he believes to be true. People don't give up their prejudices easily.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join